• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Russian and Soviet Aircraft Carriers

Pioneer

Seek out and close with the enemy
Reaction score
kaiserbill said:
Pioneer has a point...
Tail design is completely different, as is the main wing planform, and cockpit.
Different radar support structure..
Main landing gear relocated from engine to fuselage.. due to jet engines..etc.
Either a new design, or it's a "generic" carrier AWACS model IMHO.
As per my observation kaiserbill (although I didn't pick up on the relocation of landing gear - thank's)
Hence why I'm enquring, - just a simply speculative model to give the impression of a fully functional carrier air wing, I don't know?

Regards
Pioneer

JFC Fuller

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Project 1160 (or an early 1153)
This is a really interesting model, but I am sure it is an early 1153 and not the 1160. The hull looks identical to the one seen on the published photos of the 1153 model and it has the 20 x Granit with 1 x waist cat + 1 x bow catapult configuration of that design. The island configuration does not match the 1160 one either but it obviously doesn't have the Mars-Passat fixed array radar that is on the published photos of the 1153 model. Also, the model aircraft look Mig-23 variants so probably pre-date the decision to pursue the Su-27.

I have always been curious about the claim the 1153 was significantly smaller than the 1160, visually its unconvincing, it just looks like the 1153 design deleted one of the bow catapults to allow for a full 20 cell Granit system compared to the 8 on the 1160.

Last edited:

Hood

Reaction score

kaiserd

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Yet another Russian CVN model has been recently unveiled, the Project 11430E Lamantin by the Neveskoye Bureau.
The stats look fairly similar to the Project 2300E from 2015-17, the reason for reviving the 1143 designation sequence is unclear as this owes little to that heritige, though I suppose its a good marketing move.

https://www.defenseworld.net/news/25111/Nuclear_powered_Aircraft_Carrier_Mock_up_displayed_at_Russian_Naval_Show
90,000 ton nuclear powered aircraft carrier.
Would not suggest anyone hold their breath for that to become a reality....

GARGEAN

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
90,000 ton nuclear powered aircraft carrier.
Would not suggest anyone hold their breath for that to become a reality....
Why so? Of course it can become a reality! In 20 years... Or 30... Maybe just 35...

Tzoli

Reaction score
The 1143 designation is indeed weird! It might be developed from the Kiev class hull and the E would mean for Export, but even Kiev's project number was 1143.1 or 11431:

Project 1143.1 (1970): Kiev class carrier
Project 1143.2 (1972): Modified Kiev class carrier Minsk
Project 1143.3 (1975): Improved Kiev class carrier Novorossiysk
Project 1143.4 (1978): Kiev Mod class carrier Baku
Project 1143.5 (1982): Admiral Kuznetsov class carrier
Project 1143.5M (2015?): Modernized Admiral Kuznetsov class carrier
Project 1143.6 (1985): Modified Admiral Kuznetsov class carrier Varyag
Project 1143.7 (1988): Ulyanovsk class nuclear-powered carrier

ceccherini

In war there is no substitute for victory
Reaction score
I've read about a pre-1991 project that reached only a very embryonic stage for a Ulyanovsk-follow on that was to be a 100k ton CVN, finally a real Soviet Nimitz counterpart. Any more information?

JFC Fuller

Reaction score
And don't forget the 1143.8 which seems to have been the modified second Ul'yanovsk class ship. Given the various designs considered for what became Kuznetzov it seems like a chosen design was assigned to a sequential number rather than the number being particularly reflective of the design evolution of the ship.

Attached is supposedly a model of the final Project 11780 design. Apparently, at this point senior navy officers had become concerned that the General Staff were trying to add a ski-jump to the bow so they could call it a carrier and have the amphibious ships constructed at Mikolaiv (the only Soviet yard capable of building them)* instead of the scheduled full-carriers so the twin 130mm main gun and Kinzhal units were moved to the bow to prevent this. Whether thats true or not the effect is a doubling of both the Kashtan and Kinzhal systems.

The design was probably meant to be able to carry two Naval Battalion landing teams (versus one in the Ivan Rogov class), meaning that an 11780 and an Ivan Rogov class would probably be able to lift almost an entire Naval Infantry regiment. Two 11780s certainly should have been able too. Given the largest Soviet naval infantry formations were in the Pacific facing Hokkaido, and that was their longest range amphibious objective, it seems logical to assume that 11780s would have been deployed there.

*One of the curious aspects of the post-war Soviet carrier and large surface warship programmes is their failure to develop infrastructure to build and support them, they never see to have developed a truly modern shipyard to build these vessels and they never built large dry-docks for them either. The sinking of PD50, itself acquired from Sweden in the 1980s, is a byproduct of this and that incident seems to have been a catalyst to finally create a large dry dock at Murmansk.

11780_Final.jpg

Last edited:

JFC Fuller

Reaction score
Somebody posted an enormous number of photos of Soviet unbuilt ship models here:
Those of the 1153 are especially interesting as they reveal 8 3S90 launchers and associated illuminators, combined with the 20 Granit launch tubes that must make it the most cruiseresque manifestation of the heavy aircraft carrying cruiser concept.

pegasus

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Somebody posted an enormous number of photos of Soviet unbuilt ship models here:
Those of the 1153 are especially interesting as they reveal 8 3S90 launchers and associated illuminators, combined with the 20 Granit launch tubes that must make it the most cruiseresque manifestation of the heavy aircraft carrying cruiser concept.
nice thanks great link i loved it