• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Unbuilt ASW/MARPAT versions of airliners?

Jemiba

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting proposal, thanks for sharing !
The nose reminds me very much on the Nimrod.

Attachments

fightingirish

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score

Attachments

Last edited:

kitnut617

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
circle-5 said:
Douglas factory desk model of the MDC DC-10 LRPA (Long Range Patrol Aircraft / Canadian Air Force).
Now I know what I'll do with my 1/72 DC-10 kit

codeone

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
Lockheed P-7 Concept Model - Pacmin unfinished

http://r.ebay.com/f74486

Background: The P-7 was designed as an enlarged version of the original P-3C. The fuselage, of similar cross-section to that of the P-3, was lengthened by 2.40 m (8 ft), and the wingspan by 2.10 m (7 ft). The wing center section was increased in length, which moved the engines farther away from the fuselage to reduce noise levels in the cabin. The tailplane was increased by about 25% in area, but shortened in height compared to that of the P-3. The P-7A was to be powered by four General Electric T407-GE-400 turboprops with 5-blade propellers.

Attachments

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A beautiful model of the McDonnell-Douglas P-9D ASW derivative of the MD-87 propfan.

Yours for just $1650...

Attachments

hesham

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
From Air Force 1997/7.

Attachments

Hobbes

Reaction score
Tip: if you add the image caption as text to your post, it becomes searchable. As long as we don't have text recognition that works inside images, people looking for Il-114 info won't find your post...

taildragger

You can count on me - I won a contest
Reaction score
A beautiful model of the McDonnell-Douglas P-9D ASW derivative of the MD-87 propfan.

Yours for just $1650...
I wonder what the rationale was for the "D" suffix. It seems an odd touch given that there were no P-9A, B or Cs built and P-9 was probably not an officially allocated DoD designation anyway (just guessing). Perhaps it was some nostalgic marketing guy's homage to the D for Douglas designator in the old pre-1961 USN designation system.

Last edited:

TomS

Reaction score

Yours for just $1650...
I wonder what the rationale was for the "D" suffix. It seems an odd touch given that there were no P-9A, B or Cs built and P-9 was probably not an officially allocated DoD designation anyway (just guessing). Perhaps it was some nostalgic marketing guy's homage to the D for Douglas designator in the old pre-1961 USN designation system.
I think they were treating it as a continuation of the C-9 (military DC-9), which had the C-9A aeromedical evacuation aircraft, the C-9B cargo/passenger transports, and the VC-9C VIP transports. That's not quite how the system should work -- it would have had to be the PC-9D. In practice, the MD-90 was enough different from the DC-9 that I'm fairly sure the base designation would have changed and it would have been the P-8A or possibly P-9A.