uk 75

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
Back in the Cold War the France, Germsny and the UK embarked on an ambitious programne to produce a family of third generation anti tank missiles. The only survivor is the long range helicopter launched version
Like the SP70 gun and RS80 (described in other threads) Trigat seemed a sensible idea. For the UK it would have replaced Milan, Swingfire and TOW.
Does anyone know a good account of what went wrong?

Sure it will only get you part of the way there but Think Defence had a piece on Javelin that had some excerpts on the NAO report on Trigat MR. Looks like delivery was still uncertain, costs rising and with a rapidly approaching OSD for Milan the MoD jumped ship and went to Javelin. Which you have to say sounds better with its Top Attack profile and fire and forget guidance system.

IIRC PARS 3 LR is about the most expensive AT missile out by a country mile, the UK made a good move to go with Hellfire, particularly with the numbers fired in Afghanistan. It's also led to the eventual adoption of Brimstone, so for UK industry could turn out to be a very wise move.

Thanks for this. Very clear.

uk-challenger-i-trigate-jpg.26610

reload-jpg.204053

Giraffe tank version of Challenger I. Armed with the TRIGAT LR missile. The cannon in the weapons/sensor pod may be the British version of the Bushmaster II cannon, firing 30 x 170 mm RARDEN ammunition.
(h/t Jazz and Jemiba)

Some images of Trigat MR (Pars 3 MR) mock ups including a quadruple launcher on Fuchs

Attachments

• pars3mrfuchs.jpg
    pars3mrfuchs.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 128
  • pars3mrposition.jpg
    pars3mrposition.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 90
  • pars3mrtripod.jpg
    pars3mrtripod.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 87
  • pars3team.jpg
    pars3team.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 96
  • trigatMR.jpg
    trigatMR.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 99
Articles (in German) on both the TRIGAT MR and TRIGAT LR

Attachments

• pars3LRlayout.jpg
    pars3LRlayout.jpg
    526.9 KB · Views: 79
  • pars3LRtiger.jpg
    pars3LRtiger.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 88
  • pars3MRlauncher.jpg
    pars3MRlauncher.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 97
  • pars3MRlayout.jpg
    pars3MRlayout.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 86
  • pars3MRtestfire.jpg
    pars3MRtestfire.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 93
  • pars3MRtestrig.jpg
    pars3MRtestrig.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 125
In the early 2010s, the Bundeswehr was interested in longer range NLOS variants of the PARS LR. Two such variants were proposed by MBDA: PARS SAL and PARS BACK IMAGE.
Ground launched versions of PARS SAL were investigated for the JFS-M program. (Post about it in the JFS-M thread)
I have also found a picture of a vertical launch system for PARS SAL presented by MBDA at a trade show, but i cant find any more information on it.

Attachments

• PARS3LR.jpg
    PARS3LR.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 57
  • PARSbackimage.jpg
    PARSbackimage.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 53
  • PARS3salVL.jpg
    PARS3salVL.jpg
    500.4 KB · Views: 63
I have also found a picture of a vertical launch system for PARS SAL presented by MBDA at a trade show, but i cant find any more information on it.
Found a render of the vertical launch system on the site of a company that builds expo models/stands for MBDA Germany

Attachments

• PARSvl.jpg
    PARSvl.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 28
Back
Top Bottom