BAC/Sud Aviation Concorde - Development, Variants, Projects

According to a couple of online sources there were at least four planned production Concorde models, and three were produced. I believe that the differences were just superficial changes to the interiors similar to how Boeing once identified dozens of models of airliners customized to their customers' preferences.

Concorde 100 - basic model
Concorde 101 - variant customized for Air France
Concorde 102 - variant customized for British Airways
Concorde 103 - variant customized for Pan-Am (not built)

Does anyone have any sources to confirm this? I would like to know if Aerospatiale/BAC had planned other variants for those other airlines that eventually cancelled their orders like Pan-Am did.

Cheers!

Hi,

found this photo today. As some of the links of the topic are dead, it's maybe already known.

It's an ONERA photo from the end of this website, about an ONERA research Center in Algeria : http://alger-roi.fr/Alger/aviation/pdf/5_soufflerie_aia_alger.pdf

It shows a Wind-model (1961) of the Avion de Transport Supersonique ATS 60, pre-project of what became Concorde. It was the last model studied by this Center.

I didn't know that there was an ONERA Center in Algeria.
Maquette ATS 60 - Concorde 1961.png

Last edited:
A friend of mine has this beautiful print of a Concorde in Continental livery by Paul Lengellé :
View attachment 629935
Apparently Lengellé did a bunch of Continental Concorde images.

Paul Lengellé was a terrific artist, plus his life encompassed most of the 20th Century (1908 - 1993). A talented person living at the right moment.

The Noses have it. F-WTSS, G-BSST, G-ADXN and G-BOAA.

Attachments

• Concorde F-WTSS.jpg
    Concorde F-WTSS.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 159
  • Concorde G-AXDN.jpg
    Concorde G-AXDN.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 122
  • Concorde G-BOAA.jpg
    Concorde G-BOAA.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 125
  • Concorde G-BSST.jpg
    Concorde G-BSST.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 171
From Icare 1964.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    272.1 KB · Views: 155
  • 2.png
    2.png
    293.7 KB · Views: 149
  • 3.png
    3.png
    374.7 KB · Views: 196
  • 4.png
    4.png
    238.6 KB · Views: 203
  • 5.png
    5.png
    317.8 KB · Views: 230
  • 6.png
    6.png
    192.9 KB · Views: 213
  • 7.png
    7.png
    415.7 KB · Views: 192
  • 8.png
    8.png
    146.5 KB · Views: 145
  • 9.png
    9.png
    50.6 KB · Views: 138
  • 10.png
    10.png
    211.6 KB · Views: 148
  • 11.png
    11.png
    167.3 KB · Views: 150
  • 12.png
    12.png
    204 KB · Views: 187
  • 13.png
    13.png
    310.5 KB · Views: 208
  • 14.png
    14.png
    189.3 KB · Views: 221
A user called Vega ECM made the following interesting statement at the bottom of a related thread at https://forum.keypublishing.com/sho...e-for-the-RAF-(Zombie-Thread-from-2006)/page2:

"A good few years ago I was in the Concorde archive legitimately looking for something but couldn't resist from typing 'Military Concorde' into the search. Only two documents came up;- the first dated 1970, was a study on how much of military value could be learnt by the Chinese if they bought a few, but the second dated 1974, was a proposal to the RAF for military versions. This report was about 40 pages and detailed 3 potential versions;- The first was a transport version , a drawing shows a swing nose and landrovers driving down a long ramp. This proposal was covered by just 2 of the 40 pages and really had very little detail. The next is a supersonic strike aircraft. A drawing shows 3 nuclear strike missiles (looking a bit like AGM-69 SRAM's) within the fuselage launched on angled tubes exiting the fuselage underside. This proposal runs to about 10 pages. There's quite a bit of info on mission profile, tactical equipment fit etc. The third proposal is for a tactical recon version. This occupies the majority of the report. Lots of info on camera / radar / eves dropping kit / decoys / ECM mission profiles etc. I would suggest the number of pages in the report probably represents the relative interest from the customer.

Good stuff, all history now."

In the late 1970s I believe Concorde was seriously looked at again as a RAF VIP transport (in particular as an alert evacuation aircraft for members of the Royal Family in the event of a nuclear exchange). The last Military Concorde project confirmed to date was a proposal to procure Concordes for the RAF as Backfire (and later in addition Blackjack) simulators. First proposed in the early 1980s. There have been reports of a EW/ELINT proposal from around the mid-1980s though.
That is interesting! Were they to have been given “aggressor” - type paint schemes and be operated by the RAF?

I remember reading somewhere that a Super Caravelle/Concorde variant was proposed to the French Airforce as a missile carrier, however, I forgot where I got it from. I shall let you know when I find out.
The Super Caravelle is mentioned in Jean-Christophe Carbonel's French Secret Projects 2, in the chapter about the Minerve program.

Hi!
Concorde would, of course, eventually acquire a ‘drooping’ nose, but less well-known is that ONERA suggested fitting a moving tail and end fuselage to the Super Caravelle, as shown by this patent drawing.
https://www.key.aero/article/concorde-french-projects

Attachments

• moving tail at the end of the fuselage to the Super Caravelle.jpg
    moving tail at the end of the fuselage to the Super Caravelle.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 142
  • moving tail at the end of the fuselage to the Super Caravelle (2).jpg
    moving tail at the end of the fuselage to the Super Caravelle (2).jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 131
Hi!

Attachments

• A rare artist’s impression of the Super Caravelle in its 1961 state.jpg
    A rare artist’s impression of the Super Caravelle in its 1961 state.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 140
  • At the 1961 Paris Air Show, Sud-Aviation lifted the veil off its Super Caravelle with this att...jpg
    At the 1961 Paris Air Show, Sud-Aviation lifted the veil off its Super Caravelle with this att...jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 145
A user called Vega ECM made the following interesting statement at the bottom of a related thread at https://forum.keypublishing.com/sho...e-for-the-RAF-(Zombie-Thread-from-2006)/page2:

"A good few years ago I was in the Concorde archive legitimately looking for something but couldn't resist from typing 'Military Concorde' into the search. Only two documents came up;- the first dated 1970, was a study on how much of military value could be learnt by the Chinese if they bought a few, but the second dated 1974, was a proposal to the RAF for military versions. This report was about 40 pages and detailed 3 potential versions;- The first was a transport version , a drawing shows a swing nose and landrovers driving down a long ramp. This proposal was covered by just 2 of the 40 pages and really had very little detail. The next is a supersonic strike aircraft. A drawing shows 3 nuclear strike missiles (looking a bit like AGM-69 SRAM's) within the fuselage launched on angled tubes exiting the fuselage underside. This proposal runs to about 10 pages. There's quite a bit of info on mission profile, tactical equipment fit etc. The third proposal is for a tactical recon version. This occupies the majority of the report. Lots of info on camera / radar / eves dropping kit / decoys / ECM mission profiles etc. I would suggest the number of pages in the report probably represents the relative interest from the customer.

Good stuff, all history now."

In the late 1970s I believe Concorde was seriously looked at again as a RAF VIP transport (in particular as an alert evacuation aircraft for members of the Royal Family in the event of a nuclear exchange). The last Military Concorde project confirmed to date was a proposal to procure Concordes for the RAF as Backfire (and later in addition Blackjack) simulators. First proposed in the early 1980s. There have been reports of a EW/ELINT proposal from around the mid-1980s though.
That is interesting! Were they to have been given “aggressor” - type paint schemes and be operated by the RAF?

Smells like Tupolev many Tu-144 variants detailed elsewhere on this forum. Except the Soviet Air Force and Navy politely told Tupolev "we don't want your shitty aircraft, so thank you !"

the british prototype GBTSS as a serial production cutaway model and a iran air concorde
62E13A17-9F43-49B0-BE63-73299435DD54.jpeg

from http://www.dlcutawaymodels.com/2018/04/16/concorde-prototype-1-25th-scale-cutaway-model/
art111_1.jpg

from http://cockpit.francois.pagesperso-orange.fr/art111.html

do you know that the concorde could supercruise? it only needed afterburners to get through the transonic stage then it would supercruise at mach 2.2. also, with it being a commerical airliner the concorde has the most time flying supersonic then all of the other jets combined

Last edited:

This is the only picture of Concorde flying in close formation. The image was taken by Adrian Meredith on Christmas Eve December 24th 1985

British Airways Flew 4 Concorde's, G-BOAA, G-BOAC, G-BOAB & G-BOAG

"This was one of the most important and exciting photographic assignments I have ever undertaken, and very prestigious for Concorde. The date was Christmas Eve December 24th 1985; this was the only day possible that we could photograph four of the Concordes together, as they were not flying commercially that day. The Photography was to promote and commemorate the 10-year anniversary of Concordes commercial service. After 10 years of service the BA Concorde's had 71,000 supersonic flying hours.

Many hours were spent at the briefing sessions, to ensure the formations were tidy to military precision. Different formations were discussed, and decided upon.

The swan, the diamond and the echelon, to ensure all went to plan. Nothing like this had ever been done before commercially. Concorde Senior Captains Brian Walpole and John Cook were experienced pilots and had a wealth of experience of flying in formation, from their days in the RAF.

My task was to capture in essence the group formations. The flight plan was to take-off from Heathrow, fly to Filton in Bristol, the home of Concorde, down the Bristol Channel, and return to London, flying at a height of around 18,000 feet.

The Lear Jet had to be fitted with optically corrective glass in the windows, which wouldn’t distort the camera’s image. We were first to take off in the Lear Jet, from London Heathrow, and special permission had to be granted for each Concorde to take-off every 30 seconds, in succession. This had never been done before!

The weather was very dark and gloomy as it was December time the sun was low and watery. We rose above, and circled over the clouds, to brighter skies, and as we looked down, we saw each Concorde pop through the clouds like a firing bullet. After the 4th aircraft had emerged we quickly descended and took chase at full throttle to try and catch them up. They started to manoeuvre and steadily flew into position for the first formation, lying in diamond, then echelon and swan formation. " Adrian Meredith

Sourced from LinkedIn

From Icare 1964.
Hello, it's been a while but I got 2 question:
Was the TCS suppose to have a bigger diameter fuselage than the normal concorde?
In the airliner world from 2019 on the concorde, there's an interesting pic page 34 showing the prototype with alternative liveries, do we know when and where it was taken and if pics of the models exist?
Thanks for your answers!

From Icare 1964.
Hello, it's been a while but I got 2 question:
Was the TCS suppose to have a bigger diameter fuselage than the normal concorde?
In the airliner world from 2019 on the concorde, there's an interesting pic page 34 showing the prototype with alternative liveries, do we know when and where it was taken and if pics of the models exist?
Thanks for your answers!

Sorry my dear Sgeorges,

I have no idea,but I will send the whole article when I go back to my home.

ok on the airliner world pic, it's interesting to see the prototype is painted in metal as a whole while the airline models are in white/metal.

In the book "building concorde", there's a mention of multiple variants of"classic formula" TCS with different fuselage length ranging from 33m to 40m. I wonder if drawings of other variants beside the 40m exist and if we know the wings length for the shortest one.
Thanks for your answers, I intend to convert a heller caravelle in that

Sorry no idea if that has been posted before. Four technical documents related to advanced Olympus development, 1975 and beyond (so - evidently related to Concorde B)

Plus some Flight International stuff.

Attachments

• calder1975.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 22
  • calder1976.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
  • fitzsimmons1975.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 13
  • gupta1980.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 14
  • 1978 - 0159.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 13