One wonders how much cheaper, allowing for size of production run, a guided, gun-launched projectile is than a pocket-propelled one with the same level of performance.

Similar to or more expensive per kill.
Depending on brains in the shell, the quick references I found for M982 Excalibur and Ground Launched GBU39 put the advantage well in favor of the cannon projectile, even with recycling existing and paid for rocket motors for the GLSDB.

You found some weird references, because GBU-39 is cheaper than M982, as of FY2019. $40,000 USD versus $85,000 USD.

A Stormbreaker costs twice as much as M982 but can hit moving targets without external guidance. It's still cheaper than a Javelin, because it's a glide bomb deployed by aircraft. Excalibur is a single 155mm shell with an INS kit. It's $70,000. Copperhead was similarly expensive, but can hit moving targets, but also requires a ground designator team which needs to be emplaced and in the proper position...

A self-guiding Copperhead would probably cost similar to Stormbreaker or Javelin, so six digits (maybe twice as much as Excalibur), because it requires shock hardened electronics.

Once you factor in the ancillary equipment like laser designators, or amount of munitions needed to be expended to hit mobile targets, the advantage of the single unit cheaper shell tends to evaporate. Per pound of explosive, a missile or rocket will always deliver more killing power for less cost, at least when it comes to delivering ordnance against wide area targets, than shells.

This is one of those immutable things and is the main reason why multiple rocket launchers have survived for 75+ years in military use.

Rockets are better for delivering large blast-type warheads to kill particularly annoying things, like warships or reinforced structures, while cannons and aviation bombs are better at delivering penetrating warheads due to the high speeds they impact. It would be hard to fit a reinforced bunker buster into a GMLRS but trivial to fit a blast-frag warhead or DPICM, which can annihilate soft targets like C3I and SAM sites.
GROUND LAUNCHED SDB, not a basic GBU-39.

How do you have figures about something that doesn't exist? No one has purchased GLSDB, therefore it has no recorded cost...

Comparing the non-existent GLSDB and the M982 is disingenuous. One doesn't exist and the other has a third the range (150 vs 50 km), so it's apples to oranges in two ways. GLSDB would have a range comparable to the Navy's aborted LRLAP, which costs around $1 million FY2016 which are the latest figures, but I think GLSDB would have cost less than the near "Tomahawk missile" costs of the 100 nmi ranged CLGP.

Anyway, this thread is about Starstreak. If you have to pick between making laser guided 25mm shells or slapping Starstreaks on the side of a vehicle, you'll choose the Starstreak if you're sensible and of sound mind that is motivated by combat performance. People have different motivations, and different competencies, so they choose different things. For the most part, CLGPs are compromised in unit cost and engagement cost compared to maneuvering missiles.

Starstreak's darts are around 20-25mm diameter and the missile is from the 1980's. However, there's a reason no one was rushing to get 35mm, subcaliber, laser guided HTK shells into a Gepard when they could just put Stingers on the sides at the time. It isn't because Germany couldn't do this. It's because CLGPs are typically the worse option.

The U.S. military vacillates between generally cogent decisions (Excalibur, Copperhead, PGK) that fit the peculiarities of the CLGP to decisions that make people question the motivations of the acquisitions officers (ALaMO, LRLAP, SLRC).

There seems to be the idea that CLGPs are cheaper than rockets, which sort of meanders through the E-Ring every few years, and this might be because people are comparing things like TOW and Copperhead or Excalibur with Javelin, or someone is suggesting a 50 gram explosive warhead is comparable to a 5,000 gram warhead against small craft, or whatever. This filters through to the press and makes ordinary laymen think the same. It's a bit bizarre. CLGPs typically require multiple engagements per attack, not because they don't hit, but because their explosive masses are so much smaller than a rocket.

Rockets carry bigger warheads which means more killing. Shells carry smaller warheads which means less killing.

Thinking this way tends to result in the belief of the superiority of the MRL to the cannon writ large, which is probably true, but there aren't enough MRLs in anyone's inventory to fully displace the cannon and the minimum range issues remain. In a world with infinite resources and instant timescales, I guess large caliber MRLs (220-300mm) and 120mm mortars would be the only pieces of the artillery park since they maximize the ability to kill the enemy.

Obviously you work with what you have, though. CLGPs are a good way to give precision guidance to a howitzer, one that would otherwise require two or three minutes to fire a dozen shells when it can fire two shells at the same target in 30 seconds for the same price and similar effectiveness instead.

They aren't good for engaging small targets in general though. They tend to cost as much per engagement as dumb rounds, you're just taking less time, expressed by fewer shells, to kill the target. You're still paying the same amount of money.

Nuclear weapons are the only time this shifts in favor of the attacker, I think. Even a small thermonuclear weapon can destroy much more value for money than the $2-4 million it nominally costs.

Last edited:
Well I'm sold...cancel the Bofors 40mm order for T31 immediately...if it takes LMM it will take Starstreak 2 as well...

EDIT Gabrielle Molinelli has a good eye....these are Starstreak tubes, if you look closely you can see the end of the tubes, which is the same size as the front. Plus the 3 circular indentations in the end cap can just be seen...

Also looking at it...the same 4 round launcher as has been seen on the MSI Seahawk Sigma has been used (albeit a 'left handed one' rather than a 'right handed one').

View: https://twitter.com/xaviervav/status/1670774999374766083?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Last edited:
Also looking at it...the same 4 round launcher as has been seen on the MSI Seahawk Sigma has been used (albeit a 'left handed one' rather than a 'right handed one').

Interesting that the Sigma has been shown with both a 5-round launcher (mirroring the Wildcat installation) and this 4-round version (echoing the Stormer HVM). Once upon a time (1993) the original SIGMA was a DS30 mount with 2 MANPADS (Starstreak, Stinger, or Mistral) mounted on top of the elevating mass (no photo found yet). I even found a version with 7 rounds (via ThinkDefense). (Think Defense also has a Turkish pedestal launcher with two of those quad launchers)

Attachments

• SIGMAa.jpg
    SIGMAa.jpg
    346.1 KB · Views: 95
  • SIGMAFeature.jpg
    SIGMAFeature.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 36
  • MSI SIGMA 7-round.jpg
    MSI SIGMA 7-round.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 53
Interesting that the Sigma has been shown with both a 5-round launcher (mirroring the Wildcat installation) and this 4-round version (echoing the Stormer HVM). Once upon a time (1993) the original SIGMA was a DS30 mount with 2 MANPADS (Starstreak, Stinger, or Mistral) mounted on top of the elevating mass (no photo found yet). I even found a version with 7 rounds (via ThinkDefense). (Think Defense also has a Turkish pedestal launcher with two of those quad launchers)

7 Round was the original planned Wildcat pannier with 1 per weapon station, but then they switched to the larger wing with 2 x 5 missiles per wing. I suspect ground clearance could have been an issue with the 7 round. AFAIK no live testing was ever undertaken with it.

The 4 round launcher was on the Aselsan launcher originally (MILAS) both as a single 4 round launcher, then twin 4 round launcher, then went on Sigma, before turning up on RapidFire. It has fired live rounds however.

I suspect the RN used the 5 round Wildcat pannier purely because thats what they had available and cleared for UK use.

Well I'm sold...cancel the Bofors 40mm order for T31 immediately...if it takes LMM it will take Starstreak 2 as well...

EDIT Gabrielle Molinelli has a good eye....these are Starstreak tubes, if you look closely you can see the end of the tubes, which is the same size as the front. Plus the 3 circular indentations in the end cap can just be seen...

View: https://twitter.com/xaviervav/status/1670774999374766083?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Interview with more detail....including the use of a single Starstreak Dart as a guided round for the 40mm CTA (which has been mentioned briefly in the past). Sort of a mini STRALES. Very sensible stuff....

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiR-zIibQpQ

That seven-round launcher looks like (Shorts) Javelin or Starburst, rather than Starstreak or later.

Once upon a time (1993) the original SIGMA was a DS30 mount with 2 MANPADS (Starstreak, Stinger, or Mistral) mounted on top of the elevating mass (no photo found yet).
Love to see that, never seen it before, or to be honest heard of it. Can you remember if the E/O head was on it as well?

Starstreak and Stormer appear to have been moved closer to the Zaporizhia front to deal with Russian KA-52 firing Vikhr.

How many Ka-52 Hokum Bs have been shot down now? I understand that Russia has lost over half of them since the start of the invasion.

What are the odds that the crew were killed when the missile struck? I ask because as far as I can tell neither of them ejected.

Looks a) too large, and b) single missile rather than tree darts, and c) detonates before hitting the aircraft hence has some kind of proximity fuse (Starstreak has a delayed action fuse that detonates after hitting and penetrating the aircraft).

This was last year and was confirmed as S-300 at the time. Ukrainian's had moved one closer to the lines and gave the Russian's a bit of a surprise.

Love to see that, never seen it before, or to be honest heard of it. Can you remember if the E/O head was on it as well?

It's mentioned in the text of Friedman's World Naval Weapons 1997-98 edition but no photo. Said to be from the 1993 RNEE.

In the Addendum, there is a photo of a Sigma version with three Mistral on the right side of the gun. Must be later since it didn't make the main body of the book.

Attachments

• PXL_20230726_231019353.jpg
    PXL_20230726_231019353.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 80
Last edited:
From the PS of the MoD to Defence Select Committee

"The committee raised the issue of replacing Starstreak High Velocity Missiles (HVM) which have been Granted in Kind to Ukraine. I can confirm that the Department placed a contract with Thales on 30 Sept 2022 to supply HVMs from the remaining stock held by the company. These missiles are due for delivery later this year. A further contract was placed with Thales on 21 December 2022 to commence work on development of a new version of the HVM. Both the number of missiles in our stockpile, and the number being supplied under this contract, are operationally sensitive. "

Sounds like Thales depot at Ballynahinch has been cleared of stock...

And it appears that Starstreak 3 is on the way...(Starstreak 2 was developed c2010, presumably they will need to update this to a new version to remove obsolesence).

Apparently the Stormer is being replaced by a Boxer variant....I think it may use an existing RWS setup. Be interesting to see if ADAD is retained and upgraded, and if a 30mm cannon is used with it. Hopefully ADAD will get an upgrade and be retained, there is a lot to be said for a passive search method.

Boxer with Stormer launcher

View: https://imgur.com/ao6ecT1

Moog RiWP with M230LF and 8 x Starstreak

View: https://imgur.com/G0GoTjy

Last edited:
Hasn't the Starstreak successfully bagged quite a few of the Ka-52 Hokum B gunships shot down so far?

I’ve been after a picture showing the interior of the tungsten dart for a while and finally one’s showed up. I understand the two fins spin about the darts centre axis when in the airflow, thus generating electrical power which brings it to life. When it needs to steer, a single electric actuator applies a brake to the rotating fins at a precise angle in its rotation and gyro physics will push the dart into a curving trajectory. That’s how it’s packaged into a dart about 30mm-ish in diameter ….. blooming awesomeness clever.

Attachments

• B5820CAB-F5F6-4696-A25B-48896E7FEE16.jpeg
    B5820CAB-F5F6-4696-A25B-48896E7FEE16.jpeg
    232.1 KB · Views: 59
I've heard it claimed before that the darts contain a small explosive charge, is that true or just a myth?

I've heard it claimed before that the darts contain a small explosive charge, is that true or just a myth?

From the StarStreak datasheet:
The STARStreak hittiles are designed to defeat both heavily armoured and light skin aerial targets. On penetrating the targets the hittiles will inflict high levels of kinetic energy damage and each hittile also has a fragmenting warhead which detonates inside the target to maximise lethality. The strike is highly precise yet collateral damage is minimised.

It's been a long running saga, be good to see it finally turn into an order. Looks like the order they're expecting will be quite small at c$30m USD though.
Just had a thought....wonder what model this is? The BD proposal has been circulating for years now...

Starstreak 1? Or Starstreak 2?

Starstreak 2 was developed, tested and ready for production in 2007, but its believed the budget was re-purposed for LMM development and production (a sensible move as it turned out..). But....the UK ordered additional Starstreak in 2013, plus Malaysia and Indonesia production was after then....did Starstreak 2 enter service by default and discretely? It may have made sense as development was complete and paid for, and getting hold of obsolescent components may have been impossible/expensive.

'Starstreak 3' (I'm calling it that as there isn't an official name announced yet) is under development at present for the UK to replace missiles sent to Ukraine, and no doubt time expired missiles in the near future. I'm guessing this is a Starstreak 2 with any obsolescent components replaced, and potentially IM compliant rocket motors and warheads. I suspect with more attention going to the firing posts.

Opacity around UK missile variants/upgrades.....an ongoing theme...

I’ve been after a picture showing the interior of the tungsten dart for a while and finally one’s showed up. I understand the two fins spin about the darts centre axis when in the airflow, thus generating electrical power which brings it to life. When it needs to steer, a single electric actuator applies a brake to the rotating fins at a precise angle in its rotation and gyro physics will push the dart into a curving trajectory. That’s how it’s packaged into a dart about 30mm-ish in diameter ….. blooming awesomeness clever.

Weirdly the best short description of how it works, and the targeting, is on linkedin of all places...

Back
Top Bottom