So how is this mix of missiles intended to be used? Is Starstreak reserved for higher value targets while the presumably cheaper Martlet more useful for engaging UAVs and slower less well protected aircraft?

So how is this mix of missiles intended to be used? Is Starstreak reserved for higher value targets while the presumably cheaper Martlet more useful for engaging UAVs and slower less well protected aircraft?

Sounds about right. I’ll add that at Mach 4.5, Starstreak will also have a big effect on IFVs, if not tanks.

Starstreak for anything manned. Martlet for UAV's appears to be the way its used. I guess the frequency of when those targets are encountered is seen by the loading scheme.

A Stormer kill (of something) has been posted on Reddit, not sure where the original footage was released.

Missile appears to be a LMM (no Dart seperation and large explosion seen), I think the target is a UAV of some kind, buts its very unclear. This is the first time we've seen a Stormer kill from inside the vehicle, previous footage of the console showed another system shooting down a target (believe it was SA-8 that time).

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/11aq2lo/ukraine_troops_destroy_russian_aerial_target/

Obviously its not a radar image...

View: https://twitter.com/PStyle0ne1/status/1629110187746369538?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Last edited:
Original video was from @shtirlitz53 on Twitter, he was responsible for the earlier tweets of a Stormer in Post 83, which suggests that this video is from the same unit which is in the Kyiv Region.....which means the object being shot down is more than likely a Shahed 131 or 136.

Longer video of the engagement in the tweet below, with a glimpse of the display output from the ADAD.

View: https://twitter.com/Shtirlitz53/status/1629083712712331273

Last edited by a moderator:
Could it be some sort of age-restriction thing?
Nah, there's a couple of peoples' accounts that I posted on other forums and they appeared for a long time, and then suddenly they stopped appearing, no notifications or explanation. I asked Twitter but no reply as of yet.

Trying to force people onto the actual Twitter site to engage with the advertising. Not a huge shock.

It won't make join Twitter.

On another note have there been any recent new stats on how the Starstreak has been performing in Ukraine?

Nah, there's a couple of peoples' accounts that I posted on other forums and they appeared for a long time, and then suddenly they stopped appearing, no notifications or explanation. I asked Twitter but no reply as of yet.

The Dead District definitely posts some NSFW content regarding the war in Ukraine, and a lot are marked as aged restricted. This post doesn't contain anything untoward however, I'll load up the images.

Attachments

• jpz5b7E.jpeg
    jpz5b7E.jpeg
    54.7 KB · Views: 2
  • c7L0LMN.jpeg
    c7L0LMN.jpeg
    67.9 KB · Views: 1
  • WGhwdRq.jpeg
    WGhwdRq.jpeg
    139.4 KB · Views: 0
  • JVBwrBR.jpeg
    JVBwrBR.jpeg
    117.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited by a moderator:
On another note have there been any recent new stats on how the Starstreak has been performing in Ukraine?
Nothing whatsoever. Truth is I don't think we will get proper analysis on amy MANPAD either, not sure the crews will be recording details of engagements in detail if at all. LMM does appear at least to be one of the more effective systems at killing Orlan and other ISR drones though.

LMM does appear at least to be one of the more effective systems at killing Orlan and other ISR drones though.

Video evidence also of kills against Mi28, Ka52 and Caliber cruise missiles. A downed Su34 also was noted to have damage consistent with a Starstreak hit.
The KA-52 was definitely hit by LMM, as the engagement was recorded on video, but IIRC the impact with the ground wasn't seen in the video that was released. It was certainly damaged and had a very hard landing, and given the rapid speed of its descent from the hit it probably was a kill, but until we definitively see evidence on the ground we won't know for sure.

Mi-28UB was definitely a Starstreak kill though..

The KA-52 was definitely hit by LMM, as the engagement was recorded on video, but IIRC the impact with the ground wasn't seen in the video that was released. It was certainly damaged and had a very hard landing, and given the rapid speed of its descent from the hit it probably was a kill, but until we definitively see evidence on the ground we won't know .

Oryx lists as destroyed, Ka52 loss number 18. Believe a column of smoke was observed suggesting it significantly burned.

Oryx lists as destroyed, Ka52 loss number 18.

How many Ka-52s are there left? I mentioned this in passing to my brother a few weeks ago and he said Russia never had many and had lost a significant number of them in service.

Oryx lists as destroyed, Ka52 loss number 18.

How many Ka-52s are there left? I mentioned this in passing to my brother a few weeks ago and he said Russia never had many and had lost a significant number of them in service.
Pre-war they were said to have 133, according to Oryx 33 have been confirmed destroyed, so 25% of the fleet has been destroyed (granted we don't know how many have been delivered in 2022/23, but its not likely to be a huge amount). Given that some helo losses are bound to have not been recorded I think you can count on them having at least 25% loss rate.

Initial ka52 contract for VKS was for 24 helos. A year later there was another contract for 146.
Around mid 2021 there have been some low 140-ish airframes delivered. also in 2021 there was a new contract for 30 more M variants.
Initially plan was for 30 to be delivered by end of 2023.
Early this year there was report of first 10 M delivered to VKS.

3 choppers were lost in accidents in russia and 1 was lost in syria. That's before the losses in ukraine.

So right now VKS might have 180 airframes delivered minus 4 lost prior to war minus whatever number was lost in 2022/2023.

Unless the 146 airframe contract somehow superseded the 24 one, so it wasnt 24+146 but just 146. Not sure how likely that is.

When it comes to helicopters the normal piece time rule is;- one in three will be undergoing maintenance, one in three will be used for crew training and one in three will be available for operations. Although it’s commonly said the Ka52 is pretty tough they’ve been flown very hard. The maintenance percentage is high because helicopters normally have resonance issues and single point failures which can only be addressed with components that need to be replaced when they’ve done a pre calculated flying hours life.

On this basis, my guess of the number of operational Ka52’s is a number between 10 and 50. Fully trained flight crew might be a problem as well.

Video of Starstreak launch from shoulder mount...from a video by Bihus around anti-UAV/Lancet operations using ZU-23-2 teams on MTLB and trucks. From the translation on Youtube it appears they're very happy with Starstreak and wish they had more. The operator (as I understand it) says his MTLB was saved from an approaching Lancet by a neighbouring Starstreak team. From what he describes I suspect they were firing LMM (although Starstreak is shown being launched).

Worth watching it all, but I've set the video for just before the Starstreak team fires..

View: https://youtu.be/Pdizx0eaX5Y?t=384

Last edited:
Ok I thought this was a thread about Starstreak.

I reported it in hopes that a bunch of it can be moved to the appropriate thread.

Well I'm sold...cancel the Bofors 40mm order for T31 immediately...if it takes LMM it will take Starstreak 2 as well...

EDIT Gabrielle Molinelli has a good eye....these are Starstreak tubes, if you look closely you can see the end of the tubes, which is the same size as the front. Plus the 3 circular indentations in the end cap can just be seen...

Also looking at it...the same 4 round launcher as has been seen on the MSI Seahawk Sigma has been used (albeit a 'left handed one' rather than a 'right handed one').

View: https://twitter.com/xaviervav/status/1670774999374766083?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Last edited:
Also looking at it...the same 4 round launcher as has been seen on the MSI Seahawk Sigma has been used (albeit a 'left handed one' rather than a 'right handed one').

Interesting that the Sigma has been shown with both a 5-round launcher (mirroring the Wildcat installation) and this 4-round version (echoing the Stormer HVM). Once upon a time (1993) the original SIGMA was a DS30 mount with 2 MANPADS (Starstreak, Stinger, or Mistral) mounted on top of the elevating mass (no photo found yet). I even found a version with 7 rounds (via ThinkDefense). (Think Defense also has a Turkish pedestal launcher with two of those quad launchers)

Attachments

• SIGMAa.jpg
    SIGMAa.jpg
    346.1 KB · Views: 101
  • SIGMAFeature.jpg
    SIGMAFeature.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 38
  • MSI SIGMA 7-round.jpg
    MSI SIGMA 7-round.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 56
Interesting that the Sigma has been shown with both a 5-round launcher (mirroring the Wildcat installation) and this 4-round version (echoing the Stormer HVM). Once upon a time (1993) the original SIGMA was a DS30 mount with 2 MANPADS (Starstreak, Stinger, or Mistral) mounted on top of the elevating mass (no photo found yet). I even found a version with 7 rounds (via ThinkDefense). (Think Defense also has a Turkish pedestal launcher with two of those quad launchers)

7 Round was the original planned Wildcat pannier with 1 per weapon station, but then they switched to the larger wing with 2 x 5 missiles per wing. I suspect ground clearance could have been an issue with the 7 round. AFAIK no live testing was ever undertaken with it.

The 4 round launcher was on the Aselsan launcher originally (MILAS) both as a single 4 round launcher, then twin 4 round launcher, then went on Sigma, before turning up on RapidFire. It has fired live rounds however.

I suspect the RN used the 5 round Wildcat pannier purely because thats what they had available and cleared for UK use.

Well I'm sold...cancel the Bofors 40mm order for T31 immediately...if it takes LMM it will take Starstreak 2 as well...

EDIT Gabrielle Molinelli has a good eye....these are Starstreak tubes, if you look closely you can see the end of the tubes, which is the same size as the front. Plus the 3 circular indentations in the end cap can just be seen...

View: https://twitter.com/xaviervav/status/1670774999374766083?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Interview with more detail....including the use of a single Starstreak Dart as a guided round for the 40mm CTA (which has been mentioned briefly in the past). Sort of a mini STRALES. Very sensible stuff....

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiR-zIibQpQ