Secret Projects of the Luftwaffe by Dan Sharp

My latest publication is almost ready to print and is available for pre-orders here:

SECRET PROJECTS OF THE LUFTWAFFE
Dan Sharp

I really like the front cover of the limited edition with the cutaway of the Focke Wulf with Viktotia tail and the As 413 engine; exceptionally researched as always.

Regarding this cutaway (which you also find on pages 94-95 in more detail) - any idea what function the inclined pipe had in the area of the radiator? It looks like a fan in a tube and could have supported the cooling when stationary or when rolling on the ground; there seems to be a lockable flap at the front of the tube. But why inclined? The description reads "Kühlerstirnfläche nach Abzug der Wasserkammern 1,4 m2" which can be translated as "Radiator frontal area after deduction of the water chambers 1.4 square meters". Is there any information on this in the original construction description?

Last edited:
Regarding this cutaway (which you also find on pages 94-95 in more detail) - any idea what function the inclined pipe had in the area of the radiator? It looks like a fan in a tube and could have supported the cooling when stationary or when rolling on the ground; there seems to be a lockable flap at the front of the tube. But why inclined? The description reads "Kühlerstirnfläche nach Abzug der Wasserkammern 1,4 m2" which can be translated as "Radiator frontal area after deduction of the water chambers 1.4 square meters". Is there any information on this in the original construction description?
There appears to be an annular duct from around the radiator edge that feeds the fan, ie its for cooling on the ground.

There appears to be an annular duct from around the radiator edge that feeds the fan, ie its for cooling on the ground.

Yes, but why tilted? Should the fan be driven by an electric or hydraulic motor? Of course if it is not mentioned in the original description we will never know.

The fan has to exhaust the air somewhere and it looks like the bottom was where volume for the exhaust duct was available.

Hi newsdeskdan,

your research contributions to the secrets of the German Luftwaffe are one of the best I know so far, and I did a lot of research in this field for the past 20 years.

I have a question:
Does your latest publication cover the Heinkel-Hirth VTOL development of Dr. von Ohain?

See:

OHAIN_01.png

it was a plane that was supposed to rise vertically and had the "Rasender Roland 2" attached vertically with regard to the flight direction.

Here a picture of the so called "Tuttlingen" device or "Rasender Roland 2" that was used in that plane:

OHAIN_02.png

If you like, you can contact me directly and send me a message.

Kind regards,
Manuel