Luftwaffe: Secret Projects of the Third Reich by Dan Sharp

newsdeskdan

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Senior Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2014
Messages
740
Reaction score
34
Luftwaffe: Secret Projects of the Third Reich
by Dan Sharp

https://www.classicmagazines.co.uk/product/5564/bookazine-luftwaffe-secret-projects-of-the-third-reich

The aircraft on the cover is the Blohm & Voss P 171.

Description:
Hundreds of thousands of classified documents were captured from Germany’s aircraft manufacturers and aviation ministry at the end of the Second World War, including details of ‘secret project’ aircraft designs created by firms such as Arado, Gotha, Blohm & Voss, Messerschmitt and Focke-Wulf.

Ongoing new research in archives around the world has revealed dozens of previously unknown wartime plans and proposals for aircraft that were radical, revolutionary or just plain weird. In the sixth volume of his Luftwaffe series, historian Dan Sharp reveals a wealth of new discoveries - including never-before-seen drawings and designs for fighters, bombers, transports, rammers, ground-attack aircraft, flying boats and flying bombs.

Luftwaffe: Secret Projects of the Third Reich profiles Focke-Wulf’s reluctant attempts to marry a Ta 152 airframe to a British Napier Sabre engine, Messerschmitt’s experimental Me 109 S with ‘blown’ flaps, four versions of Arado’s E 380 floatplane, Blohm & Voss’s asymmetrical P 171 stuka, Lippisch’s piston-engined Me 163, Germany’s three-step supersonic research programme, Focke-Wulf’s giant flying wings, the anti-submarine DFS Lotos glider, and many more ‘unknown’ designs.

Hundreds of original and previously unseen documents have been used to compile this unrivalled look at some of Germany’s least-known Second World War project designs, featuring a host of new and period drawings, illustrations and photographs.

The very similarly-named series so far:
1. Luftwaffe: Secret Jets of the Third Reich (2015)
2. Luftwaffe: Secret Bombers of the Third Reich (2016)
3. Luftwaffe: Secret Wings of the Third Reich (2017)
4. Luftwaffe: Secret Designs of the Third Reich (2018)
5. Luftwaffe: Secret Project Profiles (with Daniel Uhr) (2018)
6. Luftwaffe: Secret Projects of the Third Reich (2019)
 

Attachments

hesham

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Joined
May 26, 2006
Messages
23,482
Reaction score
430
Amazing,and very good news,you made my day my dear Dan.
 

Wurger

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Senior Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2007
Messages
853
Reaction score
1
I`ve pre-ordered my copy :D! Lovely cover art. Ronnie or Gino?
 

elmayerle

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Senior Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2006
Messages
1,247
Reaction score
1
Definitely on my "To Buy" list as money permits.
 

athpilot

Fly me to the moon...
Joined
Nov 18, 2012
Messages
240
Reaction score
1
Hi! Are the Junkers Schnellbomber and the EFo designs included too?
Greetings
 

newsdeskdan

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Senior Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2014
Messages
740
Reaction score
34
athpilot said:
Hi! Are the Junkers Schnellbomber and the EFo designs included too?
Greetings
Yes, both will be included.
 

athpilot

Fly me to the moon...
Joined
Nov 18, 2012
Messages
240
Reaction score
1
Thank you very much! Now I´m singing: "Wake me up when September comes..."
 

newsdeskdan

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Senior Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2014
Messages
740
Reaction score
34
athpilot said:
Thank you very much! Now I´m singing: "Wake me up when September comes..."
I was initially planning to do Focke-Wulf fighters for this one, but I didn't want to negatively affect Justo's book so I decided to do another selection of 'unknown' projects. At first it seemed as though I would be struggling to find sufficient material but in the end I had too much. Stuff like Focke-Wulf's Fw 190 predecessor (alternative designs for the Fw 159) will have to wait.
 

athpilot

Fly me to the moon...
Joined
Nov 18, 2012
Messages
240
Reaction score
1
newsdeskdan said:
athpilot said:
Thank you very much! Now I´m singing: "Wake me up when September comes..."
I was initially planning to do Focke-Wulf fighters for this one, but I didn't want to negatively affect Justo's book so I decided to do another selection of 'unknown' projects. At first it seemed as though I would be struggling to find sufficient material but in the end I had too much. Stuff like Focke-Wulf's Fw 190 predecessor (alternative designs for the Fw 159) will have to wait.
That is good. Justos Book is great. And it is very exciting to see that after all this years so much details can be found and pieces of aviationhistroy brought together. And btw. I know this problem too: when I´m wiriting a book my first thought is: will there be enough sources to find? Then, at the end, it is always too much material to put it into it... I hate to prune my texts. ;D
 

richard B

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Joined
Aug 17, 2006
Messages
85
Reaction score
7
I never saw before the little flying boat illustrated on the cover : an Arado one ?
 

newsdeskdan

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Senior Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2014
Messages
740
Reaction score
34
richard B said:
I never saw before the little flying boat illustrated on the cover : an Arado one ?
No - that's the DFS Lotos anti-submarine glider.
 

Skyraider3D

Aviation Artist
Joined
Sep 2, 2008
Messages
373
Reaction score
2
Website
www.aviationart.aero
newsdeskdan said:
Würger said:
I`ve pre-ordered my copy :D! Lovely cover art. Ronnie or Gino?
Erm... both?
It's true! ;D
Due to other commitments I didn't have time to create the 3D model myself this time and Gino took over the wings I built and completed the model, panel detail and all. I then added the camouflage and markings and created the final scene.

On the title page you'll find another Gino (modelling/panel lines) - Ronnie (camouflage/render) coop.
 

Attachments

Wurger

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Senior Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2007
Messages
853
Reaction score
1
Congratulations on you both! My eyes didn`t trick me, it`s a combo! Carry on the excellent work.
 

Zizi6785

CLEARANCE: Secret
Joined
Dec 20, 2006
Messages
259
Reaction score
10
If Dan is not mind, I will also advertise the next bookazines with a little detail of one of my profiles:
 

Attachments

LemonFox

Credibility is down! Kill ratio is up!
Joined
Jan 16, 2015
Messages
350
Reaction score
137
Skyraider3D said:
newsdeskdan said:
Würger said:
I`ve pre-ordered my copy :D! Lovely cover art. Ronnie or Gino?
Erm... both?
It's true! ;D
Due to other commitments I didn't have time to create the 3D model myself this time and Gino took over the wings I built and completed the model, panel detail and all. I then added the camouflage and markings and created the final scene.

On the title page you'll find another Gino (modelling/panel lines) - Ronnie (camouflage/render) coop.
Oh my god, how are you and Gino so great?!
I can't wrap my head around it, I can feel the speed, the sound of the engine, the heat of the sun. It's simply incredible...

When I look at your works I feel like I should just give in and take up knitting :-[

Zizi6785 said:
If Dan is not mind, I will also advertise the next bookazines with a little detail of one of my profiles:
Nice one! ;)
 

Skyraider3D

Aviation Artist
Joined
Sep 2, 2008
Messages
373
Reaction score
2
Website
www.aviationart.aero
Thanks very much!
I guess it's a case of pesistence more than anything! Gino and I are doing Luft'46 stuff, and 3D aviation illustration in general, for about 20 years each and all the while it takes longer and longer to produce up-to-date artwork. We both have spent thousands and thousands of hours on 3D illustration and will probably continue to do so! ;D
 

athpilot

Fly me to the moon...
Joined
Nov 18, 2012
Messages
240
Reaction score
1
Zizi6785 said:
If Dan is not mind, I will also advertise the next bookazines with a little detail of one of my profiles:
Absolute fantastic! Is it an Arado project?
 

Zizi6785

CLEARANCE: Secret
Joined
Dec 20, 2006
Messages
259
Reaction score
10
athpilot said:
Zizi6785 said:
If Dan is not mind, I will also advertise the next bookazines with a little detail of one of my profiles:
Absolute fantastic! Is it an Arado project?
Yes, it is. You have a good eye ;)
 

sgeorges4

I really should change my personal text
Joined
Oct 8, 2017
Messages
404
Reaction score
8
me 210/410 with a V-tail on the cover?
 

richard B

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Joined
Aug 17, 2006
Messages
85
Reaction score
7
Zizi6785 said:
athpilot said:
Zizi6785 said:
If Dan is not mind, I will also advertise the next bookazines with a little detail of one of my profiles:
Absolute fantastic! Is it an Arado project?
Yes, it is. You have a good eye ;)
The jet "Ar 240F" 6-9-1942 ... :)
 

newsdeskdan

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Senior Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2014
Messages
740
Reaction score
34
sgeorges4 said:
me 210/410 with a V-tail on the cover?
It's an Me 210 with V-tail and lengthened fuselage.
 

newsdeskdan

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Senior Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2014
Messages
740
Reaction score
34
Zizi6785 said:
richard B said:
Zizi6785 said:
athpilot said:
Zizi6785 said:
If Dan is not mind, I will also advertise the next bookazines with a little detail of one of my profiles:
Absolute fantastic! Is it an Arado project?
Yes, it is. You have a good eye ;)
The jet "Ar 240F" 6-9-1942 ... :)
No, it's a completely new discovery of Dan
It's based on a sketch for a TL-Jaeger which shows two designs superimposed on one another. It hadn't occurred to me until Zizi pointed it out that this particular design seems to be an early tail-sitter turbojet-only version of the Arado K-Jaeger (aka TEW 16143-15). It was drawn 10 days (I think) before the date shown on the TEW 16143-15 drawing.
 

athpilot

Fly me to the moon...
Joined
Nov 18, 2012
Messages
240
Reaction score
1
newsdeskdan said:
Zizi6785 said:
richard B said:
Zizi6785 said:
athpilot said:
Zizi6785 said:
If Dan is not mind, I will also advertise the next bookazines with a little detail of one of my profiles:
Absolute fantastic! Is it an Arado project?
Yes, it is. You have a good eye ;)
The jet "Ar 240F" 6-9-1942 ... :)
No, it's a completely new discovery of Dan
It's based on a sketch for a TL-Jaeger which shows two designs superimposed on one another. It hadn't occurred to me until Zizi pointed it out that this particular design seems to be an early tail-sitter turbojet-only version of the Arado K-Jaeger (aka TEW 16143-15). It was drawn 10 days (I think) before the date shown on the TEW 16143-15 drawing.
This is quite interesting. I never heard, that a tailsitter TEW was designed. But considering it´s task, it makes sense.
 

newsdeskdan

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Senior Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2014
Messages
740
Reaction score
34
athpilot said:
newsdeskdan said:
Zizi6785 said:
richard B said:
Zizi6785 said:
athpilot said:
Zizi6785 said:
If Dan is not mind, I will also advertise the next bookazines with a little detail of one of my profiles:
Absolute fantastic! Is it an Arado project?
Yes, it is. You have a good eye ;)
The jet "Ar 240F" 6-9-1942 ... :)
No, it's a completely new discovery of Dan
It's based on a sketch for a TL-Jaeger which shows two designs superimposed on one another. It hadn't occurred to me until Zizi pointed it out that this particular design seems to be an early tail-sitter turbojet-only version of the Arado K-Jaeger (aka TEW 16143-15). It was drawn 10 days (I think) before the date shown on the TEW 16143-15 drawing.
This is quite interesting. I never heard, that a tailsitter TEW was designed. But considering it´s task, it makes sense.
It does appear to be almost a halfway house between the Ar 440 (in terms of the forward fuselage) and the TEW 16134-15 design.
 

Arjen

It's turtles all the way down
Senior Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2010
Messages
2,257
Reaction score
24
sgeorges: where did you get the number 400?
 

gatoraptor

CLEARANCE: Secret
Senior Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2010
Messages
381
Reaction score
4
Arjen said:
sgeorges: where did you get the number 400?
He's referring to a special edition of the new title, with unique cover art and all copies signed by the author, which will be released at a higher price, that appears on the Mortons Media website. Apparently the inside content will be the same, with both editions being released at the same time.
 

Wurger

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Senior Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2007
Messages
853
Reaction score
1
Dan, does this issue include Henschel stuff from the Nikolaus report?
 

hesham

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Joined
May 26, 2006
Messages
23,482
Reaction score
430
My dear Dan,

I hope we will find many new Projects,such as Heinkel P.1090 and P.1095.
 

hesham

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Joined
May 26, 2006
Messages
23,482
Reaction score
430
We have discussed this once, there are no such Heinkel projects
What ?,who said that,in the book- Ernst Heinkel: Pionier der Schnellflugzeuge, eine Biographie (Die deutsche Luftfahrt),
you will find this.
 

Attachments

Top