Pages from usrp03_Page_2.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 987
  • Pages from usrp03_Page_3.jpg
    Pages from usrp03_Page_3.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 953
  • Pages from usrp03_Page_4.jpg
    Pages from usrp03_Page_4.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 344
I am just grateful that these nuclear powered aircraft did not come to be, we have enough problems from dropping conventional aircraft.

Does anyone have more information on the first Northrop nuclear-powered flying wing proposal?

I would say something about the Convair nuclear seaplane proposal but I don't think it would be off to assume you actually know more than me.

Orionblamblam said:
GWrecks said:
I would say something about the Convair nuclear seaplane proposal but I don't think it would be off to assume you actually know more than me.

Say what now?

It's just stuff from the Convair Advanced Designs books.

I imagined at least Orion would have them already.

GWrecks said:
Orionblamblam said:
GWrecks said:

Say what now?

A lot of us have those books. Some of us even have some of the original reports and diagrams. But your original statement remains confounding. English not your language?

Orionblamblam said:
GWrecks said:
Orionblamblam said:
GWrecks said:

Say what now?

A lot of us have those books. Some of us even have some of the original reports and diagrams. But your original statement remains confounding. English not your language?

Well...maybe I'm making too many assumptions. Basically, what I meant was that I felt that you probably knew more about the Convair seaplane than I did, so I didn't feel there was much I could say to contribute to the topic myself. And it felt wrong to ask when I didn't have something to provide myself, though I guess I've provided maybe one or two things on other boards since then.

I was probably confused, and I was also in a rush, so that would probably contribute to it. Sorry about that.

GWrecks said:
Well...maybe I'm making too many assumptions. Basically, what I meant was that I felt that you probably knew more about the Convair seaplane than I did, so I didn't feel there was much I could say to contribute to the topic myself. And it felt wrong to ask when I didn't have something to provide myself, though I guess I've provided maybe one or two things on other boards since then.

Perfectly fair to ask. There are, however, three generally accepted rules about asking for stuff;
1: Go through the thread and make sure it hasn't already been asked & answered
2: Don't get pushy and demanding.
3: Don't ask for high-rez scans of books and articles that are currently available for purchase.

There is no quid pro quo demanded, nor can one be reasonably expected. There is always going to be a "hierarchy" where a few people have mountains of archives and a lot of people have very little.

That said, feel free to put a few hundred thousand dollars into my tip jar.

Orionblamblam said:
GWrecks said:

Perfectly fair to ask. There are, however, three generally accepted rules about asking for stuff;
1: Go through the thread and make sure it hasn't already been asked & answered
2: Don't get pushy and demanding.
3: Don't ask for high-rez scans of books and articles that are currently available for purchase.

There is no quid pro quo demanded, nor can one be reasonably expected. There is always going to be a "hierarchy" where a few people have mountains of archives and a lot of people have very little.

That said, feel free to put a few hundred thousand dollars into my tip jar.

GWrecks – that's a bargain. Usually he wants several hundred million dollars ...

Unless Mr. Bigglesworth has vet bills.

In that case, the fee is raised to ONE BILLLLIONNNN Dollars.

Last edited by a moderator:
Makes me wonder if the model builders or Star Trek had seen these drawings. Last one especially...

Romulan_Bird_of_Prey_model.jpg

youROKer said:
Some nuclear aircrafts.
Source: https://www.sae.org/publications/technical-papers/content/560272/

Oh my God,you made my day YouROKer,many thanks.

From Ali Nouve 4/1951,

a hypothetical nuclear-powered bomber.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 851
From Air Pictorial 10/1958.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    22.9 KB · Views: 245
Probably referring to that Tu-95M that was used as a flying reactor testbed. Officially designated Aircraft 119, or alternatively, LAL (Letayushchaya atomnaya
laboratoriya
[Flying Atomic Laboratory]). It also was known more informally as the Lastochka (Swallow). Mentioned way back in the thread.

From Ailes 31/5/1958.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    467.3 KB · Views: 159
  • 2.png
    2.png
    405.9 KB · Views: 201
( 12 ) United States Patent
Podrog
( 10 ) Patent No . : US 9 , 797 , 309 B2
( 45 ) Date of Patent : * Oct . 24 , 2017
( 54 ) HAFNIUM TURBINE ENGINE AND METHOD OF OPERATION

Attachments

• US9797309.pdf
    971.1 KB · Views: 23
( 12 ) United States Patent
Podrog
( 10 ) Patent No . : US 9 , 797 , 309 B2
( 45 ) Date of Patent : * Oct . 24 , 2017
( 54 ) HAFNIUM TURBINE ENGINE AND METHOD OF OPERATION

That’s the one I’ve seen before.

It’s priority date 9 April 2013

A. Fedorov 1927 nuclear project - hybrid of rocket and airplane. (also, post-war project, post-WW1 :) )
Lenght 60 m, diameter 8 m, weight with fuel 80 t, speed in the atmosphere 1000 kmph, in spacr - to 25 kmps.
In space, wings and propellers were removed.

Attachments

• Fedorov 1927 model 1.jpg
    Fedorov 1927 model 1.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 175
  • Fedorov 1927 model 2.jpg
    Fedorov 1927 model 2.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 156
  • Fedorov 1927 model 3.jpg
    Fedorov 1927 model 3.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 151
  • Fedorov 1927 plan.jpg
    Fedorov 1927 plan.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 148
  • Fedorov 1927 nuclear engine.jpg
    Fedorov 1927 nuclear engine.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 197
A. Fedorov 1927 nuclear project - hybrid of rocket and airplane. (also, post-war project, post-WW1 :) )
Lenght 60 m, diameter 8 m, weight with fuel 80 t, speed in the atmosphere 1000 kmph, in spacr - to 25 kmps.
In space, wings and propellers were removed.
I think about seven or eight years later, a Russian emigre named IIRC Zharkov developed it.

According to now-retired senior engineers at General Dynamics Fort Worth U.S. Air Force Plant #4, plans were developed for an "All-Electric Airplane" using an onboard nuclear electric generator similar to what was flown on NB-36H powering electric motors not internal combustion or nuclear ramjet (like also locally developed Vought Corporation Supersonic Low-Altitude Missile aka SLAM).
Design goals - virtually unlimited range, increased altitude ceiling, low IR profile, low acoustic profile to evade Soviet acoustic sensor network, etc

Went black in 1958.

ETA: In 1964, William C. Brown at Raytheon flew a model helicopter that received all of the electric power needed for flight by microwave power transmission.

It's sixty years later and electric-powered aircraft prototypes are showing up at Paris Air Show

Last edited:
Dear gal got,
A nuclear-powered zeppelin makes perfect sense.
OTL the US Navy flew a variety of ASW and AEW blimps during WW2 and the Cold War. They only retired their last N-Class blimp in 1962, as spy satellites entered service.