Vahe Demirjian

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
In Bill Rose's book Secret Projects: Flying Wings and Tailless Aircraft, there is mention of an outrageously colossal design for a nuclear-powered flying wing bomber by Lockheed, the L-248-3. The specs for the L-248-3 are as follows judging from what's contained in the book:

Length: 89 ft
Span: 380 ft
Powerplant: 8x Allison turboprop engines fed by nuclear reactor

Related development from the CL-1201 concept design in the '50s? Those engineers were out of their minds, if you think the L-248-3 was huge...okay, the 1201 just doesn't compare with aircraft. We're talking naval ships here, and not little ones either.

Wingspan: 1,120 feet!
Gross weight: 1.8 million pounds
Crew: 845, or roughly equivalent to an America-class amphibious assault ship (not counting the Marine Expeditionary Unit it delivers)
Powerplant: 1800Mw nuclear reactor plus conventional fuel for low-altitude flight, presumably meaning it used the open-cycle dirty reactor design, with four colossal main engines
Flight endurance: estimated at 41 days

Oh yeah, and notice how I specified main engines up there? Yeah, this behemoth was planned to be a VTOL (I'm assuming because the runway it'd need would be measured in light-years) using an absolutely staggering 182 vertical lift engines. Whether that means thrusters powered by the four main jets or completely independent engines I don't know. And to top it all off, they also envisioned a flying aircraft carrier as a possible variant, which would have carried a wing of 22 fighters onboard plus a pair of air-to-ground shuttles. Ax3qicL.gif CL1201.jpg