Kamov Projects

So I have noted a number of articles this last week on new Russian efforts toward high speed rotorcraft. In one they mention the high speed Mi-24(?) test bed as the basis for one effort and in another article they mention Kamov, with a picture of the Ka-92. So it appears that both design groups are actively working on high speed rotorcraft. Is this correct, likely, probable?

Attachments

• Slide6.JPG
    Slide6.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 591
Advanced High-Speed Helicopter (PSV) program for civil use is dead awhile, having an offspring in form of PSKV (Advanced Mid-sized Commercial Helicopter) known as RACHEL (aka V-37/Mi-37) that is pretty dead now as well. Civil customers just don't want to pay money Russian Helicopters want for average speed increase compared to models currently on the market.
dual use PSV testbed based on Mi-24 was built to test new MRBs. results now will be implemented into Mil's winning 400+ km/h entry for Advanced Combat Helicopter program (PBV aka SBV - High-Speed Combat Helicopter)
Kamov lost the competition, was offering a radical 700 km/h coaxial concept, leaving 'less' advanced 500 km/h off the contest (was not smart IMO).
very soon Kamov DB will be assilmilated by Mil' DB just like MDC was 'merged' with Boeing. Kamov still have Minoga in the works, and probably soon all new choppers will loose DB names - just like all these new SSJ-100, MS-21, VRT-300 and VRT-500

PSV program history itself may easily make a second volume of Stevenson's The $5 Billion Misunderstanding

Last edited:
As usual, you have articulated in two paragraphs concisely what is going on. Thank you my friend for making clear the state of advanced rotorcraft in Russia. Seems everyone is in turmoil on how to proceed toward new projects.

Let us see, I hope there is more future for Kamov than simply being absorbed, despite the ongoing (and necessary) consolidation in the Russian aeronautical industry I would think the fact that different design bureaus remain reasonably separated and independent is important to ensure a healthy level of competition and is not especially expensive. Manufacturing and testing facilities and equipment should de shared no doubt, since that is where big investments go, but the different design schools and philosophies are a valuable asset IMHO.

Coaxial layout seems more promising for a substantial increase in the speed of a helicopter than Mil's conventional scheme, since it lacks the retreating blade problem and need of compensating main rotor's torque. There were statements about the development of a high-speed model based on the Ka-52. Minoga seems compatible with the pusher propeller layout, even when that would somehow contradict what we know, I would not find it unthinkable for Kamov to resist being retired from the high speed race and insist / make their design compatible with a potential retrofit of the propeller technology.

From what we read some time ago, it seemed as if the high speed technologies were going to be implemented progressively. So, PSV itself may have been a failure in terms of program management but I would not doubt some of its ideas being implemented on the long run. For instance, first step would be the retrofit of the new rotor blades to existing helicopters in a way that would meet the immediate demands of the military in a cheap and effective way ("low hanging fruit" as they say) and, besides that, allowing to improve the whole fleet and not only new helicopters. Afterwards development of the pusher propeller would be specially easy for Kamov despite the changes needed on the main rotor, pushing the max speed to ca. 500 km/h. And in the long term their jet-propelled design would be the one with the biggest potential of all to the point of overlapping with fixed wing designs to a extent in terms of capabilities.

If the Russian helicopter houses are combined, it does not necessarily mean that one or the other design philosophy will vanish. Boeing absorbed McD/D/Hughes (Mesa), but there was no attack helicopter expertise suddenly appearing in Philadelphia. They may be part of the same company, but their design philosophies are still very different. I realize that Russia may have different practices, but I cannot see the pragmatism of having two design houses with differing expertise being kept on task.

If the Russian helicopter houses are combined, it does not necessarily mean that one or the other design philosophy will vanish. Boeing absorbed McD/D/Hughes (Mesa), but there was no attack helicopter expertise suddenly appearing in Philadelphia. They may be part of the same company, but their design philosophies are still very different. I realize that Russia may have different practices, but I cannot see the pragmatism of having two design houses with differing expertise being kept on task.

I think this is a bit more complex, due to the nature and organization of Russian industry. A design bureau in Russia to put it very briefly is essentially a team of designers. They will cooperate with VIAM / CIAM / TsAGI and all the relevant scientific institutions, suppliers and builders for their projects. So, with the ongoing consolidation one of the main topics is to ensure that the most investment-intensive resources (namely, those related with HW and testing, equipped with advanced instrumentation and tooling) will be fully loaded and not replicated at each designer and used now and then. And that makes full sense and is mandatory to ensure that the industry can work with the latest technology.

What Flateric was saying was that Kamov would be absorbed. Well, I am no insider so it may be true, but from the outside it would look more logical to me that both Mil and Kamov are kept as equally prominent design bureaus and share whatever resources Russian Helicopters deem necessary for design, testing etc. Kamov inside Mil would ultimately tend to be turned into nothing, no one wants internal competition.

As to the pragmatism of keeping two design houses on task I would say it ensures the customer (MoD) always receives the best technical solution possible and cannot be held hostage by any particular supplier. This is very relevant to keep healthy dynamics within the MIC.

Regarding my previous post about the Ka-52 and PSV in general being developed progressively, see below. This news is from 27th November 2018, when the announcement that Mil had won was on 19th November:

The Kamov design Bureau would create on the basis of Ka-52 flying laboratory on the project of high-speed helicopter

CEO of the Central Aerohydrodynamic Institute Cyril Showered noted that work is scheduled to begin in the near future

MOSCOW, November 27. /TASS/. Flying laboratory of the advanced high-speed helicopter (PSV) project OKB Kamov the Ka-52 in the near future. TASS said General Director of Central Aerohydrodynamic Institute (TSAGI) n. a. Zhukovsky Cyril Showered.
https://z5h64q92x9.net/proxy_u/ru-en.en/ka52.tass.ru/
"Sergey Mikheev (General designer of Kamov design Bureau - approx. TASS) soon plans to begin work on the creation of a flying laboratory PSV on the basis of helicopter Ka-52", - he said.
According to the Director of TSAGI, work on project PSV go in two directions. In the first area, specific developments, such as the new layout of the blades and rotors, will be introduced on existing cars of mark "Mi". The second direction is the development of the helicopter principle of the new scheme, a draft of which was presented the Kamov design Bureau.

100km missile for the ka-52. I wonder what the speed of it is as well later on.

Thing is - it's not 100km. Not even close.

"- The upgraded Ka-52M will be able to carry the latest product 305 cruise missiles. This helicopter helicopter can effectively hit any ground targets - including armored vehicles - at a distance of up to 100 km, a source in the military-industrial complex told TASS .

The interlocutor of the agency added that the modernized Alligator has an improved sighting and navigation system, the avionics of the cockpit and the screw group have been improved.

Earlier, another source in the defense industry told the agency that the “305 product” had passed combat tests in Syria. In time, they coincided with testing in conditions of real combat of the upgraded Mi-28NM Night Hunter attack helicopter.

Then , the first mention of the “305 product” appeared in the media . The flight range was modestly designated - "over 25 kilometers." The coordinates and target data are entered into the rocket before launch, the “product 305” overcomes most of the way under the control of an inertial navigation system, and when approaching the target, the homing head is turned on.

It is equipped with highly sensitive sensors operating in different ranges of the spectrum. The missile can be guided by the mark of the laser rangefinder-target designator, the heat radiated by the target, and also broadcast the picture from the camera to the helicopter cockpit. The weapon is protected from interference, is able to distinguish the target among infrared traps and operate in the "shot-forgot" mode.

The range of missiles from the current arsenal of combat helicopters of the Russian Aerospace Forces exceeds 15 kilometers. New weapons will allow front-line aviation to hit targets without entering the enemy’s air defense zone."

You got a different source of the product 305 or izdelie 305 missile with a different range? Where the source was originally from https://tass.ru/armiya-i-opk/7767415 I am guessing its a newer variant or version.

Last edited:
Yeah, just as you wait for confirmation that "radars" on T-14 (which are not radars at all) don't have 100km either. Good strategy.

Yeah, just as you wait for confirmation that "radars" on T-14 (which are not radars at all) don't have 100km either. Good strategy.

There is already confirmation about the T-14s radars regarding its range, using a kord gun as an APS (which far out-ranges your average tank APS using millimeter radars or LIDAR) and using the radar for the tank to provide accuracy.

So lets not try to be too adamant to deny capabilities of military weapons(I get it that you and the talking brick wall with multiple accounts hate Russian related weapons that outperform your favorite weapon related technologies) because you were like this when I brought up the radar range of the Ka-52 even when I showed you multiple sources, and you can even find similar long ranges with the mi-28 like I provided in another thread. And look how that turned out for you.

Unacceptable posts on both sides here. Take a break from posting for a couple of days.

In this instance, it is possible that the Tass article is about the possibility of using the two stage Hermes with the large 210mm diameter booster which has a range of 100km on the Ka-52M. I have grave doubts about its utility on the Ka-52M, but it is conceivable that has been proposed. Its also possibly just bullshit, which isn't unreasonable for a Tass article.

One more thing before I leave this thread alone is that the Katran has featured carry options for the kh-35 and those have a pretty decent long range.

Current projects that are still planned to be built properly live in Aerospace as current programs. They should really only go to the Secret Projects section when they fail to arrive.

Current projects that are still planned to be built properly live in Aerospace as current programs. They should really only go to the Secret Projects section when they fail to arrive.
Paul,
I strongly agree with your statement. To me, this is really what SPF is about, and what makes it so uniquely valuable.

However, if you really mean it, then maybe you want to take a hard look (and a broom) to the Space Projects section, where many threads are about ongoing projects being actively built today (Orbital, CCDev, Iranian, to cite a few). Those threads degenerated into simply reposting here marketing communication streams about ongoing projects.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but when I see "I'll be the first to re-post this current news here. It's readily available on twitter or elsewhere but I rush to be first to post it on SPF (whether it's meaningful or not, whether it's verified or not)", 99% of the time I don't see added value, I see pollution.
To me, not only it is too often garbage, but foremost it's not about unbuilt projects, so it does not really belong here. Definitely not in the Unbuilt Projects sections anyway.

(And maybe this discussion should go to the Site Feedback section)

I rarely look at the Space Projects section- so I probably don’t keep it on topic. We could probably do with a Space focused moderator.

Hi veryone!

Are there any good, clear three-view line drawings of the Ka-92 available?

Also, can anyone help identify the helicopter in the attached 3-view?
Thanks!!

Chuck

I believe that was a study undertaken by Westland in 1973 for a carrier based, light ASW helicopter, however, I could be wrong.

... if the ramp is lowered, the rear prop is automatically tilted upwards ! ;D
Sorry for that !

IF the Ka-92, or another heli with this configuration and a rear ramp actually will
be built and IF the end user considers the risk higher, than for other helis, a system
that disengages and stops the prop, when the ramp is lowered on the ground may
be easier to ealise, I think.

It could be the case in a vertical landing. I was watching some test footage of the SB-1 Defiant the other day and when it was in vertical take off or landing, the propeller was stopped until it transitioned into normal flight, when it was turned on. However, it could have been just a test as it was a test flight or I could have misunderstood the video. Also, the KA-92 is a completely different beast that is yet to be built and whether it will employ a system like this remains to be seen.

Edit: Hello Wyvern, this is you from the future, the SB-1 Defiant uses an ABC rotor layout, whereas the KA-92 will most likely use a coaxial rotor system, but, as past me mentioned, the KA-92 remains unbuilt, so the design could change or remain on the drawing board.

Last edited:
Hi veryone!

Are there any good, clear three-view line drawings of the Ka-92 available?

Also, can anyone help identify the helicopter in the attached 3-view?
Thanks!!

Chuck

I believe that was a study undertaken by Westland in 1973 for a carrier based, light ASW helicopter, however, I could be wrong.

You will find some info about this Westland concept with its supersonic rotors here:

I have seen a recent post on another forum that indicates the "Minoga" is still a project, showing a picture of the high speed Kamov concept commonly referred to as the Ka-92. Just wondering if a higher speed Kamov is still under consideration or will "Minoga" be an updated standard Kamov layout with improved technology.

Full-scale Minoga mockup seems to have pusher proplulsor in the middle of H-tail.

That is what I had hoped for, but had found no evidence in that picture. Could you explain why you say that? The area marked in red on the left is the main rotor, the other on the right should be a propeller?

It seems to me that the Kamov engineers have always been a bit more progressive with their design philosophies than the Mil engineers. I realize that "don't mess with success" is hard to argue against. I also realize that Mil has also done some interesting advanced work and has ample knowledge to produce high speed rotorcraft, but ultimately they end up with the classic rotor layout. Kamov does as well I suppose.

ka-52k10.png
aesa_010.png

aesa_011.jpg

JSC "Corporation" Fazotron-NIIR "in accordance with the state defense order since 2011, has been carrying out serial delivery of on-board radar systems
(BRLK) FH01 for combat reconnaissance attack helicopters Ka-52 of the Aerospace Forces of the Russian Federation (VKS RF).
Its export version FH01E is equipped with
helicopters K-52E for foreign customers. BRLK FH01
is a dual-band radar
station (radar) operating in the millimeter and decimeter frequency ranges. She
provides detection and tracking
ground and air targets, low-altitude
flight, warning the pilot about attacking
helicopter missiles, as well as meteorological
in the "Meteo" mode. main destination
combat reconnaissance and attack helicopter Ka-52 - this is fire support for ground
troops, amphibious assault and suppression of positions
enemy.
Along with the serial production of the radar
FH01 in the Corporation is being modernized in the following main areas:
♦
introduction of the synthetic aperture mode into the software of the complex
in millimeter Ka-range of working
frequencies for obtaining a higher resolution in radar mapping of the area;
♦
introduction of a synthetic aperture mode in the decimeter range to obtain a radar map of the area
with side view and air attack warning mode;
♦
in addition to the existing radar software, a mode of detection of stuck or moving with a small
helicopter speed;
♦
integration with the onboard complex
defense helicopter blocks L-band from
composition of the FH01 airborne radar, providing warning of an air attack.
Currently, the priority area in the Corporation's activities is
development of a new airborne radar system FH03 for the Ka-52K sea-based combat reconnaissance and attack helicopter.
The main feature of this complex
is the combination of a radar with an active phased antenna array (AFAR) of the X-frequency range and a modernized radar with a slot antenna array (SHAR) of decimeter
L-frequency range (Figure 1).
The X-band radar is a forward looking station with a fixed AFAR with electronically controlled beam deflection in the zone of ± 85
degrees, and the L-band radar consists of four independent slot antenna arrays,
located on all sides of the fuselage, creating an all-round view of the space for
pilot warnings about attacking helicopter
rockets. Block diagram of the radar
complex is shown in Figure 2. Additionally, the L-band radar can operate in terrain mapping mode in side view zones, including with the ability
detection of objects disguised in the forest.
The FH03 radar, day and night, in simple and difficult weather conditions, will provide the following tasks in the front hemisphere in the ± 85 ° azimuth zone:
♦
survey and radar mapping of the sea (earth) surface, detection of the coastline and specified
landmarks in low, medium and
high resolution;
♦
search and detection of moving and stationary surface (ground) objects
at ranges up to 250 km;
♦
taking for tracking, determination of coordinates and parameters of movement of radio contrast objects;
♦
detection and selection of ground and surface moving targets;
♦
detection of obstacles such as irregularities
relief for information support of the obstacle collision warning mode;
♦
review of the airspace and detection of air objects in oncoming
and catch-up courses at ranges over
100 km;
♦
tracking air targets, determining coordinates and parameters of their movement;
♦
recognition of the class of air objects;
♦
detection of a hovering helicopter;
♦
detection of radar contrast
landmarks, including for the tasks of correcting the flight and navigation complex;
♦
detection of dangerous meteorological formations
at ranges up to 250 km;
♦
detection of transponder beacons;
transmission of information for airborne guided weapons;
♦
exchange of information with the onboard radio-electronic equipment of the helicopter,
including transmission and reception of target designation;
♦
increased secrecy of work (one-time mapping mode);
♦
determination, together with the state identification equipment of the state
accessories of the discovered surfaced,
ground and air objects;
♦
issuance of radar information for
alignment with a digital terrain map.
The FH03 BRLK provides high operational reliability due to the absence of mechanical moving parts due to the installation
Antennas with electronic scanning and replacement
transmitting device to a distributed system of amplification of the probing signal using group transmitting and receiving modules.
Increase in FH03 radar view area by
azimuth up to 170 °, as well as the use of radar of the decimeter range for implementation
side view will allow the Ka-52K helicopter
carry out practically circular radar surveillance.
We emphasize that radars operating in the centimeter wavelength range provide
significantly lower power losses than
millimeter-wave stations, and
they are much less affected by the moisture saturation of the environment.
Therefore, they are best suited
for equipping sea-based helicopters.
Onboard radar complex
FH03 gives the Ka-52K helicopter the ability to conduct long-range radar patrol and increases the range of used
weapons."

Seems KRET articles only release radar information of the Ka-27 and Ka-52K, cant wait for the Ka-52M

ka-52 rocket pod.jpg

I heard that the Ka-52 has 6 rocket pods so does that mean it can fire 150 rockets? What's the length and diameter of the 9-A-5013 Tubes?