Kamov Projects

I'm not sure that the K-17 in reply #281 is the same as a Ka-17. The design is very basic and looks like an early design preceding the Ka-10 helcopter. The later Ka-15 is far more advanced than the K-17 illustrated and looks out of sequence. There is no reference to the Ka-17 in the book 'OKB N I Kamov - 1948-1988' (ISBN 5933160016) which also covers early work.

There is a reference, in Russian , at http://alternathistory.com/proekt-mnogotselevogo-vertoleta-ka-17-sssr/ which refers to a Ka-17, but this a more sophisticated design and fits in with developments gained from the earlier Ka-10 and Ka-15.

Be warned, I think some browsers regard the site as 'Not Secure' ( I last accessed it in 2015 ).

At 0:20 it seems, as if the missile pod is slowly tilting downwards. Is
this just an illusion ? I thought it to be fixed at the pylon.

yep, it has the abilities to tilt the weapon pylons but i thought they would use this feature for the unguieded rockets

I could be wrong but most modern helicopters have articulated pylons. The computer moves the pylon to give the best performance to the missiles for the specific flight parameters at the time the missile is activated for launch. At higher speeds it is likely to be pointing down to give the missile the optimum relative wind for performance and also to keep the missile from pitching up immediately after launch to keep them away from the rotors which will likely have a forward/downward angle for the higher speed.

Thanks for the explanations, was unknown to me !

https://naukatehnika.com/vertolyot-...im-kompleksom-upravlyaemogo-vooruzheniya.html

Ka-52M helicopter equipped with new guided weapons complex #Авиация Denis Ilyin Yesterday at 3:43 p.m. 639 0 The strike vehicle can carry new anti-tank missiles "Whirl." Ka-52M with Vortex missiles on the outer suspension node of the wing console. Photo: https://commons.wikimedia.org The upgraded Ka-52M helicopter, which is being tested, is getting more details. Thus, during the presentation of new weapons to representatives of the Russian Defense Ministry at the Smolino test site, the Ka-52M with a new complex of guided weapons was shown. The upgrade allows the use of new anti-tank missiles "Whirl". New rocket for new helicopter Russian Deputy Defense Minister Alexei Krivoruchko said the new developments are superior to "existing designs." According to him, the new products can enter service "in the near future." First of all, we are talking about an upgraded Ka-52M attack helicopter. According to the Ministry of Industry and Trade of the Russian Federation, the car made its first flight in August 2020. It is known that the helicopter received a new optical-electronic system, a digital gun drive, and an upgraded sighting system. The Ka-52M will also be able to provide automated pairing with the Sagittarius ground reconnaissance complex. The Whirlpool-1 missile and the shipping container. Photo: Kalashnikov Concern Little is known about the modernization of the Ka-52M weapons, but recent tests of upgraded missiles allow us to talk about it. Thus, on May 26, the Kalashnikov Concern published footage of the tests of the upgraded Vortex missiles. During the tests, the "regular" Ka-52 successfully launched 22 missiles. It is possible that in May the complex, which received the Ka-52M, was tested. New and old Whirlwind-M The modified rocket is much like a basic model. The developers note that improvements have been achieved without changes in the basic tactical and technical characteristics. In particular, the probability of hitting the target with launches from short distances increased, and the overall stability of the missile in flight increased. Recall, the anti-tank missile system "Whirl" began to develop in 1980 in the Tula KB Device. The complex was put into service in 1985, but only the modernized version of the Whirlwind-M, which entered service in 1990, entered mass production. Since 2014, the complex began to enter the army. The 40 kg rocket is equipped with a 12-kg tandem (cumulative-shard) combat part, which allows to hit up to 750 mm armor for dynamic protection. The Vortex develops a supersonic speed of more than 600 m/s, so that the rocket travels a distance of 4 km in just 9 seconds.

Pic of Ka-52M (testbed?) with the updates GOES turret that was seen in mockup form previously:

289729.jpg

At 0:20 it seems, as if the missile pod is slowly tilting downwards. Is
this just an illusion ? I thought it to be fixed at the pylon.
yep, it has the abilities to tilt the weapon pylons but i thought they would use this feature for the unguieded rockets
I could be wrong but most modern helicopters have articulated pylons. The computer moves the pylon to give the best performance to the missiles for the specific flight parameters at the time the missile is activated for launch. At higher speeds it is likely to be pointing down to give the missile the optimum relative wind for performance and also to keep the missile from pitching up immediately after launch to keep them away from the rotors which will likely have a forward/downward angle for the higher speed.

The Russians don't use articulated pylons for rockets (unlike the Americans, who have articulated pylons for rockets but not missiles).

However, the Vikhr helicopter racks do depress. This apparently ensures the missile can be launched into the laser beam early in its flight, and thus is under guidance immediately.

It is important to remember that it is a laser beam-rider... not a semi-active laser homer (like the Hellfire)... so the sensors actually look backward at the helicopter. The missile is actually quite clever in how it is designed to use the minimum amount of sensor complexity and relatively simple flight controls - both saving weight and massively reducing costs.

The laser beam-rider also has a benefit in that the missile remains guided until it loses sight of the aircraft - which means that a tank 'popping smoke' doesn't gain as much of an advantage as it would against a semi-active laser guided missile.

What is that huge box under the left wing?

Last edited by a moderator:
What is that huge box under the left wing?
Luggage

... :cool:

Actually I believe it is a pod used to carry data collection systems while conducting aircraft development.

Last edited:
Lot of interesting info about LMUR missile and Ka-52M here:

Also very interesting that the pod believed to be a radar on the Ms pylon is actually a UAV container:

_3b7482cca76db84fdd550253d176469f.png

Full-scale Minoga mockup seems to have pusher proplulsor in the middle of H-tail.

Ka-65 Minoga model on the mockup of Project 23900 LHD.

The design corresponds to the previously published photo, but unfortunately again it is not clear whether it is equipped with a pusher propeller.

Photo from TASS video via bmpd's Telegram channel

Attachments

• FHOjUDMWYA8r3Lr.jpeg
    FHOjUDMWYA8r3Lr.jpeg
    39.9 KB · Views: 377
Aonestudio:

Your post is out of topic. It would be deleted.
Please read the forum rules before posting

Thanks

Another project "heavyweight" was
OKB proposed NI Kamov-based
a five-blade main rotor diameter of 125
meters with jet drive from turboreak?
tive engine. According to calculations, a similar
superheavy helicopter? valve could create
lift 600 tons, which allowed
transported on external sling cereals?
nogabaritnoe and heavy industrial
equipment weighing up to 250 tons!
What is the name of this heavy chopper?

The project of installing a gun under the bow of the Ka-50 and Ka-52. Source: Техника и Вооружение 11-2022

Attachments

• photo_2022-12-01_23-12-51.jpg
    photo_2022-12-01_23-12-51.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 185
  • photo_2022-12-01_23-23-41.jpg
    photo_2022-12-01_23-23-41.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 190
Well I have seen stranger idea from the Russians. R-27 radar guided?

Well I have seen stranger idea from the Russians. R-27 radar guided?
I wondered when I saw this picture, could the Ka-50 really use R-27 missiles ?

Probably not? They did try mounting R-77 on the Su-25 - but it would have carried a large external radar pod to do so!

There were mock-ups of an R-73 on a Ka-50 (but that is IR guided - and the R-27 is older and heavier than either the R-73 or R-77).

So I don't see how it is possible for this art work to be true. That said - I have to agree with yasotay here :D

Probably not? They did try mounting R-77 on the Su-25 - but it would have carried a large external radar pod to do so!
Technically, one could use R-77 not unlike R-73 because it does have it's own active seeker. R-27 could also be launched, but only an IR variant ( if guys in Yemen could launch it from a truck an d actually shoot down an UAV, why couldn't an helo with proper wiring from manufacturer?).
R-27R shown on picture is out of question, though, not w/o proper radar. Unless there is a pod verison of Kopyo in the other side that was proposed for Su-25TM.

Low quality but astounding nonetheless. First publicly seen use of the Ka-52 ejection system from what I can see.

I am told it has been used with success several times, but I have no means of confirming this. The ejection seat in question, I am informed is very reliable and used in a number of Russian aircraft.

I am told it has been used with success several times, but I have no means of confirming this. The ejection seat in question, I am informed is very reliable and used in a number of Russian aircraft.
No. Ejection seat on Kamov is unique. It's lightweight, an uses rocket motor in separate assembly with pulley attached to the seat to extract seat from the helo. No other plane is n Russia uses it. Even ejection seat for Yak-152 is while also lightweight, still has more classical design.

Last edited: