Hawker HS.141 VTOL airliner, HS.140 VTOL business jet

The Hs 140 and 141 were schemed in the 'Research & Future Projects Dept' at Hatfield headed by Derek Brown. The model with the ogival wing was the HS 133 I believe. I don't remember the twin fins but a powered wind tunnel model existed using small Dowty fans (about 3").

Charles Bradbury's HS 140 was schemed by David Kent. The wind tunnel model used the same 6" fan that was used in the HS 141 model (x16). David Kent later worked on Ian C-Miles' business jet ('Leopard' I think) post HS.

The large scale HS 141 wind tunnel model was developed by John Holmes-Walker who ran the powerplant group within the office. Major parts of the model were manufactured at HS Brough in the model shop. If you are interested, more later.
My Father is David Kent and searching through his old paperwork I have come across quite a bit of documentation regarding the HS140/141 project including drawings and a few photos. I am arranging to take the items to Brooklands Museum this month so they can reside in the Hawker Siddeley archive.
As far as my Dad's work is concerned he worked on several Light Aircraft designs and projects after leaving HS at Hatfield including the Optica for which he won a Design Council Award, the Nash Peterel and designed and built the CMC Leopard as mentioned above from a workshop in Dilton Marsh, Wiltshire. Mike Kent 02/09/2019

The Hs 140 and 141 were schemed in the 'Research & Future Projects Dept' at Hatfield headed by Derek Brown. The model with the ogival wing was the HS 133 I believe. I don't remember the twin fins but a powered wind tunnel model existed using small Dowty fans (about 3").

Charles Bradbury's HS 140 was schemed by David Kent. The wind tunnel model used the same 6" fan that was used in the HS 141 model (x16). David Kent later worked on Ian C-Miles' business jet ('Leopard' I think) post HS.

The large scale HS 141 wind tunnel model was developed by John Holmes-Walker who ran the powerplant group within the office. Major parts of the model were manufactured at HS Brough in the model shop. If you are interested, more later.
My Father is David Kent and searching through his old paperwork I have come across quite a bit of documentation regarding the HS140/141 project including drawings and a few photos. I am arranging to take the items to Brooklands Museum this month so they can reside in the Hawker Siddeley archive.
As far as my Dad's work is concerned he worked on several Light Aircraft designs and projects after leaving HS at Hatfield including the Optica for which he won a Design Council Award, the Nash Peterel and designed and built the CMC Leopard as mentioned above from a workshop in Dilton Marsh, Wiltshire. Mike Kent 02/09/2019

Cool. Might see that when I'm visiting Brooklands next.

Hi!
Explanation board says that,
HAWKER SIDDELEY 141
This is a wind tunnel model of the H.S.141 VTOL based on their Trident air liner, but employs banks of small fan jet engines to give it vertical lift off the ground & two large jet engines for forward propulsion. Project 1970.

Attachments

• 141.jpg
    141.jpg
    323.9 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Hi! 141-16.

Attachments

• DTXxf_AX0AAkTYp.jpg
    DTXxf_AX0AAkTYp.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 96
  • DTXv5yLWkAEhtA3.jpg
    DTXv5yLWkAEhtA3.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 93
  • DTXuuguXkAAtvXY.jpg
    DTXuuguXkAAtvXY.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 91
hs-vtol-04-jpg.614342

(h/t Zebedee)

Grey Havoc Some years ago I had Aviation Retail Direct make me a 1/72 model of the BEA version. Love this artwork for an RAF Andover replacement for the 70s

I joined Future Projects at Hatfield in 1967, and worked for John Holmes-Walker on several tasks related to the HS.133/141. The first was to write a computer program to evaluate RB.202 (lift engine) thrust loss as a function of compressor bleed required for roll control. The mainframe was in London, and the interface was a teletype terminal at Hatfield. Programs were stored on punched paper tape. I was also tasked with designing and rig testing a variety of scaled RB.202 thrust deflectors that doubled as lower surface doors. The thrust deflectors would be used for transition from vertical to horizontal flight. I also did some aerodynamic analysis of the powered wind tunnel for Eddie Kemp. I left in 1969 to go to graduate school at MIT, and that unfortunately was the end of an enjoyable two years working for John and Eddie.

Dear Mike,
I thought I would reply even though I was not involved in the HS140 or 141. I was an apprentice at Hatfield from 1953 to 1958 and then joined the Future Projects department. I oscillated between Future Projects and Aerodynamics for the rest of my working life. I knew your father quite well although never worked with him. I was treasurer of the TK Flying Group for a number of years and banged in a few rivets when the Turbi belonging to that group was re-engined. I also designed and masked the orange, black and silver colour scheme which was applied at the same time. For the last few years of my working life I was with the Corporate Jets division of British Aerospace which was sold to Rayheon and we were moved to an office in Harrow. Raytheon now pay my pension.
All best wishes, Alan Page.

Attachments

• Faxj7PMXoAMGjLV.jpeg
    Faxj7PMXoAMGjLV.jpeg
    54.4 KB · Views: 11
  • FaxjyV3XkAAusTb.jpeg
    FaxjyV3XkAAusTb.jpeg
    44.4 KB · Views: 10
  • FaxjyWBXgAAU_nc.jpeg
    FaxjyWBXgAAU_nc.jpeg
    38.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Faxj6hFXoAAyUki.jpeg
    Faxj6hFXoAAyUki.jpeg
    38.5 KB · Views: 11
  • FaxjyU7WQAAEF7g.jpeg
    FaxjyU7WQAAEF7g.jpeg
    58.5 KB · Views: 10
  • FaxjyUHWYAEofrP.jpeg
    FaxjyUHWYAEofrP.jpeg
    53.6 KB · Views: 9
  • FaxjiSiXkAAGMZn.jpeg
    FaxjiSiXkAAGMZn.jpeg
    29.8 KB · Views: 10
  • FaxjiR-XoAQoE3k.jpeg
    FaxjiR-XoAQoE3k.jpeg
    61.7 KB · Views: 11
  • FaxjiRgXgAMaDBr.jpeg
    FaxjiRgXgAMaDBr.jpeg
    46.4 KB · Views: 11
  • FaxjiRDXkAAIrjI.jpeg
    FaxjiRDXkAAIrjI.jpeg
    74.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Fascinating to read this thread. I joined Future Projects at Hatfield in1965 and worked for Tadeus (Ted) Szlenkier on VTOL aircraft. Most of my work was on the proposed conversion of the Dornier 31 as a civil transport demonstrator. My main task was to develop injectors for the RB 162 lift jets to increase thrust and reduce noise. I sat close to Eddie, David and John.

I left in 1969, sent by the Group Technical Director John Stamper to investigate this new-fangled CAD thing at Cambridge University. I eventually got a PhD for my work on ‘Complex Design Processes and Computers’, and then joined HS HQ in Kingston to help introduce CAD into the group. Back in Cambridge soon afterwards to work with the startup company ShapeData developing the original accurate 3D system (Romulus).

I had an original painting of the HS141 until it was destroyed in a fire at e-Go Aeroplanes, which I started in 2007. Now on another startup - an electric aircraft www.flimax.ltd