Hi,

the Hansa-Brandenburg GW/3 was three engined biplane of 1916,may be torpedo aircraft,
and powered by three Mercedes D III engines.

Hi,

is there any picture survivor to Hansa-Brandenburg W.37,there was three prototypes,but
never completed.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    366 KB · Views: 419
  • 2.png
    2.png
    242.4 KB · Views: 388
The Hansa-Brandenburg GW was a twin engined torpedo aircraft with two Mercedes-Daimler D IIIa. It had a single rudder.
I have this photograph of the GW/3 Marine Nr. 646 with triple rudder (source: Pawlas, Deutsche Flugzeuge 1914-1918, p. 142). At least the prototype of the GW had triple rudders. I suppose GW/3 indicates the triple rudder?
Marine Nr. of the GW: 528, 620-624, 646-650, 700-704,1080-1084.
The was also the GDW, a bigger version of the GW, with 2 x Benz Bz IV, 200 hp. A single prototype, Marine Nr. 746.

And sorry, but I don't have a picture of the W 37.

Attachments

• Brandenb GW3.JPG
    Brandenb GW3.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 337
Hi,

the KW company had two "B" aircraft,one was appeared in 1915 with Mercedes D I
engine,and the second was appeared in 1916 with Benz Bz III engine.

There was no company called KW. KW stand for Kaiserliche Werft (Imperial Shipyard), and the Kaiserliche Werften Danzig-Putzig, Kiel and Wilhelmshafen built some naval aircraft under license and some of own design.
The two mentioned "B" type naval recce aircraft/trainers should have been the following KW Wilhelmshafen types:
1. an unnamed biplane with Mercedes/Daimler D I: three built or copied (where?) - a rather obscure type
2. W 10, a float biplane, Marine Nrs 461 and 462

Thank you my dear Tuizentfloot,

and yes,it is KW Wilhelmshafen,which also built CHFT,No.945 and No.947.

The N° 945 actually was an own design by the Kaiserliche Werft Wilhelmshafen, inspired
by the Hansa Brandenburg W12, shown in Jack Herris "German Seaplane Fighters of WW I"
But "CHFT" to my opinion wasn't a type, but a category of combat aircraft, the abbreviation
standing for an aircraft fitted with an r/t set and a flexible, but no fixed gun.

Attachments

• N°945.JPG
    N°945.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 287
A comprehensive list of the K.W. seaplanes can be found , among other sources , here : Kiel Seeflugzeug (Sch
Total : 8 different types built ( the #1650 was never finished ) .

I don't have any pic for the #401/403 ; the #404/405 and the #467/470.

The #463/466 and #945 are here and in the previous Jemiba's reply .

at last , illustrations for #461/462 ; #947 ; #1105/1106 and the projected #1650 .

Attachments

• Numériser 16.jpeg
    Numériser 16.jpeg
    30.8 KB · Views: 103
  • Numériser 15_2.jpeg
    Numériser 15_2.jpeg
    25.8 KB · Views: 84
  • Numériser 14.jpeg
    Numériser 14.jpeg
    29.9 KB · Views: 69
  • Numériser 13_2.jpeg
    Numériser 13_2.jpeg
    28.3 KB · Views: 277
Many thanks to you my dears Jemiba nd Richard,

for the Project 1650,it's new for me.

Hi,

the DFW C Type was a recce biplane,powered by one Benz Bz III engine,not related
to C series as I guess.

Dear Hesham, I suppose the DFW C Type mentionned is the one found on p. 318 of Gray & Thetford, German Aircraft of the First World War.

In 1916 Hermann Dorner, who was by then constructor at DFW, built a prototype single bay C Type with I struts, that was not accepted. Afterwards he built the more conventional C IV.

This airplane could be a candidate for the "missing" C III designation, even if it is generally accepted that the DFW prototype two seater pusher biplane was designated C III (eg. Lange, Typenhandbuch, p. 52: "… ist sicherlich identisch mit dem dreistieligen Gitterschwanz-Doppeldecker …").

It was a model from 1914-1915 for tests with cantilever wings. The article in Flugsport contains a number of photographs of test on real size wings.
Sp, not a real project...

Hi,

here is a LVG D.9 (C.III) drawing,only one aircraft was built as I know.

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205358120

Attachments

• D.9.jpg
    D.9.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 343
Hi,

the DFW company used a strange many series;T,F,MD,MRD & KD,and this Scout
biplane didn't get a designation ?.

http://flyingmachines.ru/Site2/Crafts/Craft28844.htm

Attachments

• DFW.jpg
    DFW.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 241
Mmhh, this could be the D.F.W. B-Typ, Biplane with I-Stiel, Prototyp from 1914

DFW "Doppeldecker 1914" for "Der Luftverkehr" 1914
It had a belly (!) Windhoff radiator .
It certainly had an intern DFW designation , but I don't know it ...

I can’t positively identify this biplane.

Apparently it has something to do with the Militär-Doppeldecker MD 14 (B I), even if it is a single-bay biplane and the MD 14 was a three-bay. Both have parallel struts.

In 1914 there was a single-bay biplane Renndoppeldecker variant of the MD 14 with aerodynamic modifications and a large I-strut (apparently an aerodynamic cover around the parallel struts). On this racer Max Schüler became the winner of the Dreiecksflug Berlin-Leipzig-Dresden. It had the typical MD 14 upper wing. Could the biplane in the photograph be the same, but without the modifications???

Another DFW single-bay biplane racer had the swept-back wing of the earlier Mars Pfeildoppeldecker, and was certainly not the plane on the photograph.

Attachments

• DFW Rennversion Mars PfeilDD.JPG
    DFW Rennversion Mars PfeilDD.JPG
    455.5 KB · Views: 202
Thank you my dears Richard and Tuizentfloot,

and I heard that,the DFW D.I had three versions.

My dear Tuizentfloot,

you did a great work in explanation Hans Grade aircraft before WWI,can you tell us
what was his activities during WWI;

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,22491.45.html

Very short answer, my dear Hesham... During WWI the Grade Fliegerwerke did only aircraft repairs. And in 1917 Aviatik took over the company. The end...

Many thanks my dear Tuizentfloot,

and can I ask you about Hannover C.IV & C.V,and if there was C.I,C.II and C.III or not ?.

Horrido hesham,
Hannover had no C.II to C.V, only the C.I was a license build Aviatik C.I. After the C.I Hannover had CL.II up to CL.V.
Maveric

My dear Maveric,

who said that,I know CL series very well,but the Hannover C.IV was a recce biplane,powered
by one Maybach Mb IV engine and C.V was also a recce biplane,powered by one BMW IIIa
engine,the C.Va was a recce aircraft version,but no more details about it are known,they
all appeared in 1818.

Please tell me your source. In my sources there are NO Honnover C.-aircrafts without C.I !!!

Maveric said:
Please tell me your source. In my sources there are NO Honnover C.-aircrafts without C.I !!!

I remember only C.IV,it was from the book; German Aircraft of the WW1;

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    186 KB · Views: 264
I really don’t know. Most sources agree with Maveric. But some use the C IV and C V designations (even in German sources).

Both the CL IV and the CL V are 1918 types, but before late 1917 there was no differentiation between C and CL types, and in everyday language a confusion certainly subsisted. Is this the reason?

My dear Tuizentfloot,

maybe just a development of them ?.

Hi Tuizentfloot,
please take a look in Lange´s Typenhandbuch..., there is the same picture on page 66 like heshams scan, this is a HAWA CL.IV and also the technical data are the same!!!!
I´m shure HAWA built NO C.-Series.
Maveric

Indeed! And Lange's technical data for the CL IV are the same as in Gray & Thetford for their so-called C IV...

Concerning the CL V, the photograph of the CL V in Gray & Thetford and in Lange is the same as in Pawlas, Deutsche Flugzeuge 1914-1918, where this plane is called C V. Pawlas is the sole German source that mentions a C IV and C V instead of CL IV and CL V.

You don't need to convince me, Maveric, I agree with you. There are no C IV or C V in the Hannover series and all this history is the result of a confusion.

And Lange is clear: the CL IV and the CL V had their origins in the CL III. So why call them C-types?

My dear Tuizentfloot,

the only evidence I have,that there was an aircraft called C.Va,and as you know the
Honnover CL V never developed into this designation.