Folland Postwar Aircraft Projects

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hesham, please try to limit yourself to one program per thread ;)

The Gnat replacement trainer requirement was AST 362.

HS1173, P45 and Fo-147 are well documented in Project Cancelled and British Secret Projects: Jet Bombers. I don't have anything about Hunting H-155. AST 362 was filled by the Jaguar, which was based on the HS1173 and Breguet Br121 ECAT, with the French leading. It ended up as a strike fighter, and the trainer requirement was eventually filled by the Hawker HS1182 project which became the Hawk.

Ah, the Folland Gnat ! This aircraft and derivatives would deserve a thread of its own,
I think. In my opinion cancelling the fighter version for the RAF was another mistake
by the british procurement politics.
In "Sabre Slayer and Red Arrow" a bomber version is shown, not really a derivative,
but a development along the same lines as the Gant, which would have been a true
successor to the DH. Mosquito.

Attachments

• Folland_light_bomber.JPG
    Folland_light_bomber.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 2,293
I've estimated lenght as about 13,3m and span about 9,4m,
Just a guess, of course ...

@ TsrJoe :

Difficult, as in "Sabre Slayer and red Arrow" there was just a perspective drawing.
But I'll look up again, at least, what my estimations were ...

Attachments

• Folland-bomber.jpg
    Folland-bomber.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 2,053
Jemiba said:
Hmm, looking at those illustrations, I'd be tempted to suggest that the aircraft could be modeled using a 1/48 Gnat kit and a couple 1/72 ones to get the right tailpipes. It'd be an attractive little thing for your shelf.

elmayerle said:
Jemiba said:
Hmm, looking at those illustrations, I'd be tempted to suggest that the aircraft could be modeled using a 1/48 Gnat kit and a couple 1/72 ones to get the right tailpipes. It'd be an attractive little thing for your shelf.

I'm inclined to say that's just how Folland engineered this proposal. It really looks like a scaled up Gnat with a pair of Orpheus-sized engines.

Jemiba, do you have any more details?

No, sorry ! IIRC this project was just mentioned in quite a short notice, without further
details. I used the engines and the 4000lb bomb as basis for my estimations .
But I'll ask boxkite, to have another look into this book ...

anther two projects:

Boulton Paul P.128 research and experimental supersonic aircraft.

Bristol model-185 rocket intercopter aircraft.

It lasted a little bit longer to find my copy of „Folland Gnat – Sabre-Slayer and Red Arrow“ – sorry. I’ve checked the half page regarding the Light Bomber Project – unfortunately it’s one of the few projects WITHOUT mentioning the dimensions.

On page 109 is written: “This was foreseen as a successor to the Canberra bomber, a brochure being raised in June 1957 with the G.A drawing SK.1785 that indicated a light bomber based on the Gnat formula, but basically a Gnat ‘scaled-up’ in the ratio of 1.5 to 1.0. … Power was intended to be two Bristol Orpheus engines, either Or.11 or Or.12 …”

Considering that the ratio of 1.5 to 1.0 fits a 1/48 scale basis for a 1/72 scale kit, my initial estimate appears to be fairly close.

2/35: Br.Marine Aircraft Ltd.(S.42 licencee)
24/12/37: recruits H.P.Folland from Gloster, renamed Folland A/C Ltd.
9/59: sold to HSAL.

Nice and surprising, thanks! ;D
The link says "Folland light transport project" and why a LIGHT plane would have 4 engines (turboprops?). Either the journalists made a mistake or else the engines were very small (BAe 146 like?), for STOL performance blowing the whole wing or something, no?

To me those engines don't look like turboprops, as they don't seem to have a circular cross
section, as turboprops usually have. I would assume the engines could have been something
like DH Gipsys Queens, as in the DH Heron.

From the "Helicopter and VTO World" magazine, January/February 1961 issue, probably not regarded as an aircraft
by everybody, but it left the ground and had an aircraft registration: The Ground Effect Research Machine, short GERM,