MBB-TKF.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 408
  • ACA.jpg
    ACA.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 389
  • ACA2.jpg
    ACA2.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 401
From ILA 1980, another TKF-90 view. In the same page is a British Aerospace advanced fighter pic, but its hard to tell the model from this angle.

Attachments

• BAe ECA-Maybe.jpg
    BAe ECA-Maybe.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 329
  • TKF90-1980-ILA.jpg
    TKF90-1980-ILA.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 346
MBB will fly TKF demonstrator in two years
MBB EXPECTS to fly two or three highly manoeuvrable technology demonstrators within the next few years. The F-4 Nachfolger Technologietrager (Technology Demonstrator for an F-4 Replacement) could lead to the much-modelled Taktischkampflugzeug (TKF) flying around 1987 or 1988, and entering Luftwaffe service in the early 1990s.

The German company is partnered with Dassault-Breguet, but there is no co-operation yet at Government level. Growing British Aerospace interest is centred more on the financial aspect of international cooperation than on the technology exchange side, but the French are known to prefer a bi- rather than a tri-national agreement.

The lack of Government funding in France, Germany, and the UK can be offset only by private-venture capital, and none of the companies can afford to go it alone on an expensive programme when costs could possibly be shared.

MBB's TKF model shows detail changes from previous editions, with pronounced curvature on the wing inboard leading-edges. The basic single-seat, twin-fin, all-flying-canard delta shape remains. Engines will be either the General Electric F404 or the Turbo-Union RB.199 with a modified hot-end. MBB is averse to a new engine/new airframe combination and needs a thrust-to-weight ratio of at least unity for the 12-tonne-class aircraft; the RB.199 therefore seems the likely choice.

The aircraft will be highly manoeuvrable, at least "twice as agile" as the F-16 or F-18. Full use of control-configured-vehicle technology, direct sideforce control, and limited thrust vectoring will be used. Up to 40 per cent of the airframe will beof carbon composites: "But we're not interested in a World Championship race for composite percentages in new aircraft," says MBB. "We'll use it where we can." Weapon fit for the TKF is seen as Amraam/Asraam and a large-calibre cannon.

http://www.flightglobal.com/PDFArchive/View/1982/1982%20-%201440.html

VFW Strake-Delta high AOA tests in the wind tunnel at Bremen.

Source:
Klaus Huenecke, Modern Combat Aircraft Design, Airlife 1987

Attachments

• VFW-Delta-Strake-concept.jpg
    VFW-Delta-Strake-concept.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 1,069
overscan said:
VFW Strake-Delta high AOA tests in the wind tunnel at Bremen.

Source:
Klaus Huenecke, Modern Combat Aircraft Design, Airlife 1987

The same concept which was displayed by dear Overscan.
http://www.flightglobal.com/PDFArchive/View/1978/1978%20-%200714.html

Attachments

• TKF.JPG
    TKF.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 291
Hi,

http://www.flightglobal.com/PDFArchive/View/1979/1979%20-%202161.html
http://www.flightglobal.com/PDFArchive/View/1979/1979%20-%202162.html

Attachments

• Dornier 1.JPG
    Dornier 1.JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 204
  • Dornier 2.JPG
    Dornier 2.JPG
    15.6 KB · Views: 224
Hi,

a strange single engined TFK-90.
http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1978/1978%20-%202921.html?search=tkf%20aircraft

Attachments

• TFK-90.JPG
    TFK-90.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 319
That one has somewhat of a FC-1/JF-17 look.

regards,

Greg

That single engine TFK-90 looks alot like the f-20. Another example of Dronier/Northrop cooperation, perhaps.

Another photo of the VFW-Fokker proposal from 1978, twin-engined,
with some similarities to the F-18:
(from Aviation Week May 1978)

Attachments

• VFW_TKF90.jpg
    VFW_TKF90.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 893
This is the first image of a pre-Eurofighter advanced fighter concept from Aeritalia I've seen, the AIT 320.

Source:
High Angle of Attack Aerodynamics AGARD-CP-247
http://stinet.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA067323&Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf

Attachments

• AIT-320.jpg
    AIT-320.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 849
EFA model from 1986 ILA show and a drawing of a reduced cost Eurofighter from 1992.

Source: Flugrevue via Flateric

Attachments

• FR_86_07_EFA_ILA_1-1MOCKUP.jpg
    FR_86_07_EFA_ILA_1-1MOCKUP.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 819
  • FR_92_12_EFA.jpg
    FR_92_12_EFA.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 861
Also shown on these pics - but can we refer to them as conformal fuel tanks (CFTs) instead of "as modern F-16 block 60".

Regards,

Greg

Attachments

• CFT-shot2.jpg
    CFT-shot2.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 415
  • CFT.jpg
    CFT.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 516
I never knew Eurofighter actually built a mock-up of the CFT configuration, all I had see sofar are the Flight illustration and a small CAD image. Nice find!

They tested the configuration in a windtunnel model, I'm sure the picture was in Flight International some years back....I may even still have the copy.....somewhere?

Something for overscan ... a "collection" of configurations tested during the EFA development phase (displayed in the German Museum in Munich)

... pic. via "Trident" from the Key-Forum !!

Deino

Attachments

• EFA german wt-models.jpg
    EFA german wt-models.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 381
Ohhh ... sorry !! I was surprised to see these models again because when I visited my brother last time in Munich I had no camera with me !!

Cheers, Deino

I think Fly-By-Wire progresses were the definitive thrust to pick the final Eurofighter layout, how was the evolution of FBW on the european aircraft?, when it research began?, and what team was the leader on that field?

From an MBB report on a 1977 wind tunnel model test of high AOA / post stall capability.

1) delta wing
2) delta wing with wingerons and fins below the wing
3) trapezoidal wing with tail
4) delta wing with canard
5) trapezoidal wing with tail and vented fins

Conclusion was in favour of delta wing with canard (unsurprisingly).

Source:
High Angle of Attack Aerodynamics AGARD-CP-247
http://stinet.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA067323&Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf

[Added better copies of photos - Administrator]

Attachments

• MBB-5.jpg
    MBB-5.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 290
  • MBB-4.jpg
    MBB-4.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 292
  • MBB-3.jpg
    MBB-3.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 304
  • MBB-2.jpg
    MBB-2.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 301
  • MBB-1.jpg
    MBB-1.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 296
  • MBB-Modular3.jpg
    MBB-Modular3.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 308
  • MBB-Modular2.jpg
    MBB-Modular2.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 305
  • MBB-Modular.jpg
    MBB-Modular.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 362
The best compromise between good conventional performance and good behavior at high angles of attack can be stated for the delta-canard configuration. The selection of this configuration can be justified due to the following reasons:

1. Drag standard at conventional angles of attack throughout the total Mach number range is superior to all configurations tested. The optimum instability margin for minimum induced drag polars can be obtained without any difficulty. This requirement is also not contradicting to trim and control requirements at high angles of attack.

2. Pitch-, Roll- and Yaw control power is available up to high angles of attack and still can be increased by further development work, if required.

3. The problem area of a weak cnBDyn behavior at medium angles of attack can be overcome by further development work as discussed in paragraph 4.2. Sufficient yaw and roll control power will allow to apply "Active Control Technic" by use of the Flight Control System and artificially stabilize the configuration.

From above.

Now that's beyond weird. Sort of like the Viggen, F-35 and Cutlass all roled into one - what a peculiar concept!

Jemiba wrote;
The Typhoon CAN supercruise, although I don't know in which configuration ( clean, with some
AA missiles or even with tanks on ?

From talking to the Rolls-Royce testing team last week it seems that its possible with ventral tank + AA missiles. Fuel consumption is pretty good in the supercruise region.

Dornier's early TKF-90 work is discussed in Preparing for the TKF-90, Dornier-Post, Issue 3, 1979 (english edition)

Found this on ebay:

Will post anything interesting when it arrives :)

Attachments

• 8148_1.JPG
    8148_1.JPG
    14.9 KB · Views: 853
Yes, I imagine this copy being previously owned by Mr Dassault who was interested in the Dornier TKF-90 article :)

Finally arrived :)

Attachments

• Dornier-1a.jpg
    Dornier-1a.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 1,338
  • Dornier-2a.jpg
    Dornier-2a.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 1,324
  • Dornier-3a.jpg
    Dornier-3a.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 212
  • Dornier-5a.jpg