Dassault Mirage 2000

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
French adversary private contractor ready to invest in 4 M2K to provide additional red air service for the French forces:
Ares projette d’investir, en liaison avec le constructeur Dassault-Aviation, le motoriste Safran et l’équipementier Thales, dans la modernisation de sa flotte avec des Mirage 2000, avions de 4e génération, supersoniques équipés de radar, pour répondre et s’adapter avec le plus haut niveau de réalisme aux besoins d’entraînement opérationnel grandissants des Forces armées françaises & européennes », explique la société dans un communiqué de presse.
---------------------//------------------------
Ares plans to invest, in conjunction with the manufacturer Dassault-Aviation, the engine manufacturer Safran and the equipment supplier Thales, in the modernization of its fleet with Mirage 2000, 4th generation aircraft, supersonic equipped with radar, to respond and adapt with the highest level of realism to the growing operational training needs of the French & European Armed Forces, ”the company explains in a press release.

Obviously, now that there is not a single F-1 airframe left available for French contractors...
4 more years of the present administration and even the used Rafale won't be left.

Last edited:

Archibald

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
What happened to Apache aviation, incidentally ? did they went under ?

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
Offshore of Crimea, 2x M2KD (with ASTAC ESM/ELINT pods) + C135FR:

960x0.jpg

View: https://youtu.be/I9IY_3HC6Rg

ASTAC_Thales_dms_ECS_30092020_websitethumbnail700x465.jpg

Trident

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Nice! Excellent visual explanation of why the target won't hear a thing until the rounds hit (or why people in even the general vicinity of the impact area hear the hits before the firing sound - I can vouch for that!).

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
Some clear footage of M2K straffing training targets:

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
M2K down over Mali (both pilots safe, one sustained injuries - no victim on the ground). Reported as a technical malfunction:

Slightly more details here (in Fr) :

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
The great aircraft Bazaar isn't over yet:

Out of the 24 fighters, 13 are in complete condition with engine and airframe intact with eight of them (nearly half a squadron) ready to fly after servicing. The remaining 11 fighters are partially complete but with fuel tanks and ejection seats, which will be scavenged to secure parts for IAF’s two existing squadrons of the fighter.
[...]
IAF has initialled a contract worth 27 million euros to buy the fighters, eight of which are in ready-to-fly condition, the people cited above added. That works out to a per-aircraft acquisition cost of 1.125 million euros. The people cited above said the aircraft will soon be shipped to India in containers.

Last edited:

helmutkohl

ACCESS: Top Secret
Staff member
Reaction score
if the rumors are true and that India was once offered the M2K production line then passed it up..
might be one of the biggest mistakes for the IAF.

they had a known aircraft that has been one of the IAF's best performers, and they probably wouldnt need to wait on the Tejas.

Archibald

Reaction score
@TomcatViP

You have to realize France very own Davis Monthan aircraft boneyard (Chateaudun air base) has been unceremoniously closed some years ago.
So the Armée de l'Air presently has no more boneyard to dump its old combat aircraft.
Hence: we must dump them at foreign countries, in a hurry. Hence the bargain prices... :p:p Also applies to Museums.

Imagine the mess when all 80 Tucanos bought only in 1994 were retired in 2009 at Chateaudun, stayed there gathering dust...and then the base closed. Mind you, some ended in Mauritania as spares for their Super Tucanos. Others have been dumped to Rochefort as canon fodder for aprentice mechanics.

And now its the Alphajets.

@helmutkohl I've heard of that story and such offer coming from Dassault - I'm not really surprised. Nor from India - I'm quite sure I've heard about similar story related to the Jaguar and other types...

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
The contract, signed by an MND procurement representative in Europe on Sept. 13, will remain valid for five years until Sept. 13, 2026. The document is only the latest in a series of agreements designed to keep the Mirage jets and the missiles up to date as they have been stationed in Hsinchu for 24 years.

Archibald

Reaction score
Those Mirages may soon found themselves VERY busy... oh wait, they already are. With all those massive Chinese air force intrusions.

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
beyondthesprues.com
My understanding is that the ROCAF Mirage 2000s have struggled with serviceability and operational availability