Air Defense Ship (ADS)/Indigenous Aircraft Carrier (IAC)/Vikrant-class Carrier

Provided the Indians start building their own carriers someday, maybe France could buy a pair of them to replace CdG at far, far lower cost than PA-NG...

Provided the Indians start building their own carriers someday, maybe France could buy a pair of them to replace CdG at far, far lower cost than PA-NG...
They are? Vikrant is indigenously built, though many components are foreign-sourced.

That being said, there is no way the French are going to go for a pair of STOBAR carriers, they like CATOBAR and the extra capability it brings too much. There's also the fact that Vikrant is nine years late...

What's with you recently and stumping for France to buy foreign carriers?

It's because I'm convinced my country navy doesn't have a single dime, today and even less in 30 years of time, to pay for two nuclear-powered Kitty Hawk class carriers... indigenous build I mean. PA-NG is a folly.

Any news on when they plan to start their first fast jet trials on Vikrant?

(AFAIK there have been no ski jump take offs or arrested landings so far… 12 months since the start of sea trials).

It's because I'm convinced my country navy doesn't have a single dime, today and even less in 30 years of time, to pay for two nuclear-powered Kitty Hawk class carriers... indigenous build I mean.
Yes, it would be much better to spend the money on a couple of CAGNs (heavy nuclear missile powered cruisers) instead.

(Flees out the door as outraged carrier devotees reach for the torches and pitchforks.)

Yes, it would be much better to spend the money on a couple of CAGNs (heavy nuclear missile powered cruisers) instead.

(Flees out the door as outraged carrier devotees reach for the torches and pitchforks.)
That would require the French to acquire a heavy antiship missile worth a damn instead of relying on Exocets for eternity.

Not worse than relying on Harpoons, also for eternity. "If it works, don't fix it. Just improve it."
As for ships with missile strike capability, the FREMM with SCALPs are right there for the job.
Nuclear cruisers with huge Ashm are a Soviet era luxury nobody can afford today, not even USN or the Chinese navy.

Nuclear cruisers aren't useful unless you intend to operate carriers as strategic strike systems. Since carriers lost this capability decades ago and it's never coming back, nuclear cruisers aren't useful anymore. The ability to steam at 30 knots versus 20 knots won't matter much to real time satellite video and hypergliders. It might have mattered to Tu-142s and Tu-22s though no one can say for sure. It certainly did for Tu-95s or Tu-16s though.

Sensible future navies who plan to fight world wars in the future are maintaining or increasing submarine hull numbers. You can't track a submarine from orbit or target it with a hypergliding missile so it's mostly immune to the real serious naval threats.

The Japanese are probably going to try to push for 30 hulls but I doubt they'll make it, and the USN is dropping most likely to below 40 in the coming decades. If France were going to give up its ability to fight colonial wars, and focus entirely on big wars, it would buy like four to six more nuclear attack submarines and start slashing frigates and carriers to pay for it.

Submarines are still the general naval trend line and surface ships are in a rather more perilous position than they were in the 1980's with regards to their general utility outside of colonial wars. France fights a lot of colonial wars though so Exocets make sense for killing small frigates and one carrier makes sense for the autumn bombing season.

several news outlets such as Alert5 and this one below are reporting that Indian navy is considering another Vikrant IAC1 carrier instead of going with a new design for their next ship. reasons, they are happy with Vikrants performance so far, and costs.

with more images emerging

it does seem the Vikrant doesn't have anti-skid coating on its deck yet
View attachment 666034

I also didn't realize until now that the size of the Vikrant is very identical to the Charles DeGaulle
which makes it a lot more unfortunate that the elevators or so small. It could have been another Rafale M ship..

in regards to the non-skid coating
looks like its finally been applied recently

FjTkP_NagAA4g0N