• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Western Artists' Concepts of Soviet aircraft during the Cold War

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
From Aviation magazine 1963,

here is early idea for how Tupolev Tu-91 will look.

Attachments

• 91.png
    91.png
    775.4 KB · Views: 148

Alexandre Julião

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
I love this thread! Congratulations to everyone who has contributed to it for so long. But, how about the other way around? Is there such a thing as eastern artists' concepts of American (or NATO) aircraft during the Cold War? I suppose so, but how much of it ended up being available to the general public after the end of the Cold War, is what I wonder.

Aubi

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Website
www.armedconflicts.com
Easterners knew the Western aircraft thanks to the same source Westerners knew the Eastern aircraft (and often Easterners knew Eastern aircraft). Jane's. Seriously, magazines like Letectví + Kosmonautika often sourced articles about new Soviet projects directly from Jane's and similar publications. While L+K published a lot of concepts of Western aircraft, it was almost always copied from some Western source. I saw several articles where L+K used only NATO code for some Soviet aircraft, because they didn't have better sources than Western publications. West was simply much more open.

Stargeneral410

Reaction score
Easterners knew the Western aircraft thanks to the same source Westerners knew the Eastern aircraft (and often Easterners knew Eastern aircraft). Jane's. Seriously, magazines like Letectví + Kosmonautika often sourced articles about new Soviet projects directly from Jane's and similar publications. While L+K published a lot of concepts of Western aircraft, it was almost always copied from some Western source. I saw several articles where L+K used only NATO code for some Soviet aircraft, because they didn't have better sources than Western publications. West was simply much more open.
A lot of these NATO imagination of the future Soviet aircraft designs were actually better than the real one built by the Soviets themselves. They should be appeared in novels and animation.

Stargeneral410

Reaction score
Aritst's concepts of Sukhoi scissorwing fighter concept known as MFP or Su-41. Is this an imagined Russian Federation or Soviet Union aircraft concept?

Source:
It looks interesting. Is this concept created in Cold War era?