Su-30, Su-33, Su-34 and Su-35 News thread, pictures and discussion

The sale of Egyptian Su-35s to Iran? Sure. Drones in return? I doubt it. For whatever reason, Russia was embarrassingly late to the UAV party (while Iran was commendably proactive), but nowadays they do produce a decent range of perfectly usable models. What can Iran offer that Russia does not already make itself, between the ZALA 421-family, the Orlans, license-built Forposts and Inokhodets? Sure, recent sanctions might lead to difficulties in certain subsystems (engines/EO), but Iran is similarly cut off, so is what they produce indigenously truly better than what Russia could source domestically? I'm just not seeing what problem it could solve, to be frank.

IMHO chances are this'll turn out like those Chinese arms supplies that were speculated on early in the war. I'll believe it when we see evidence on the actual battlefield.
While, on paper, Russia has the necessary range (apart from heavy UCAV, as Altius is still in testing phase), the problem is numbers. Drones are hot commodity on Ukrainian front and their lifetime is short.
Additionally, Russia underestimated need in, so to say, level of "drone penetration" in it's own AF. And new Kronstadt plant is only recently built, and at the same time Russia has to built roundabout ways to buy sanctioned electronics, which doesn't add to production speed. So a Iran-Russia deal where the latter buys drones in order to quickly fill the gap in numbers until own production ramps up is quite logical.

^ wow, is this the first time a foreign radar guided missile has been integrated on a Russian/Soviet aircraft?
thus far its been mostly foreign IR missiles (short range).

Another dozen MKI's on order?

So where is the USA CAATSA?
India have Su-30MKI production license iirc. I'm not sure if CAATSA can be applied to product that the santion targeted country already acquiring production license.
More over I think the US will wink-wink/nudge-nudge on CAATSA issues when it comes to a member of 'The Quad'. I don't think India is getting F-35s any time soon but I suspect it will get exemptions on most anything else.
My initial question was purly of the retorical kind.. sorry.
I know that the USA WhiteHouse did a waiver on US congressial CAATSA against India years ago.

The Whithouse CAATSA waiver Response was that even if India trade arms from Russia, they also have huge Soviet and Post Soviet equipment in their Arsenal, and that it will take long time for India to get rid of it...
And now a new MKI deal is on the table.. now go figure.

The Whithouse CAATSA waiver Response was that even if India trade arms from Russia, they also have huge Soviet and Post Soviet equipment in their Arsenal, and that it will take long time for India to get rid of it...
And now a new MKI deal is on the table.. now go figure.
Hasn't been posted in this specific thread, but in mid July apparently their "Super 30" AESA upgrade was put on hold and the purchase of new airframes have been delayed.

The Indian Air Force has deferred a proposed upgrade of 85 Su-30MKI multirole jets. Officials feel the anti-Russia sanctions might delay military spare parts supply. Ukraine war having knock-on effects for India's Su-30 fighters. A deal to licence build an additional 12 Su-30MKIs for the IAF also been postponed.

C32726BF-243F-463E-9EEC-40D48D23C3C8.thumb.jpeg.c2ef22dd5dd162f5f5a82c1c4a16a8a2.jpeg.jpg

123.jpg

Looks like confirmation of the R-37M on the Su-35 fighter. Note the X-31 on the wing and the differences. Note in the second picture the fins of the R-37M. Looks like two of them in tandem under the belly. An impressive loadout. Two long range, two medium range, and two short range missiles as well as the anti radar X-31 missile.

Looks to be an su-35 slinging three r-77-1 missiles at around sixty kilometers. Note the PESA on swash plate capability as the fighter is able to turn far away from the target while still presumably sending early guidance correction to the missiles.

It looks like the Su-35S turned almost 90 degrees after firing three R-77s.

su35-1.png

su35-2.png

roulston.jpg

Radar is active, HUD indicates flight parameters of target, and futhermore, there is indication of the active jamming attempt. No signs point on datalink. Sometimes you just need to stick to the facts.

That makes no sense. All missiles have the same systems and only datalink will be segregated. Hence jamming would act similarly and simultaneously on all active systems but the datalinks that is multi-channel.

That makes no sense. All missiles have the same systems and only datalink will be segregated. Hence jamming would act similarly and simultaneously on all active systems but the datalinks that is multi-channel.
If only jamming worked all the time with the same effectiveness/effect, on the different missiles/radars, coming from the slightly different directions and having non-synchronized impulse emmissions. I think you need to understand how it works IRL and why the number of launched missiles increasing Pk.

That's not what we are given to see here. Ripple firing is not what you describe.
I describe what it looks like IRL. But if you wish to stay with the baseless version about datakink, ok. I prefer facts and all of them tell it's just a salvo of three missiles launched while the aircraft experiencing active jamming on its radar. That's what HUD indication tells.

Yes And that's probably a video on wasting ammo. Notice that I have no idea if there is datalink involved. I am just asking question given what we are given to see.

Yes And that's probably a video on wasting ammo. Notice that I have no idea if there is datalink involved. I am just asking question given what we are given to see.
And you got the answer, based on the HUD indication.

"Active" is not an indication that the contact is locked.
The circle in the hud near the center on the right side is also an indication that a target is locked.

The angle to target is not quite 90degrees, though, because at the start the aircraft isn't pointing directly towards it. It's to the left when he fires, then as he turns left he crosses it at ~190, and then the video cuts out at ~110-115, so the radar can track at least ~75-80 degrees off centerline.

You have to wonder how Russia is gonna produce 24 of its top fighters while facing a scarcity of ressources in avionics and strategical components.
That certainly would be an interesting exercise to watch but then, those 24 are probably going to be missing among Russian squadrons.

Musíte sa čudovať, ako Rusko vyprodukuje 24 svojich špičkových bojovníkov, zatiaľ čo bude čeliť nedostatku zdrojov v avionike a strategických komponentoch.
To by určite bolo zaujímavé cvičenie na pozeranie, ale potom bude tých 24 pravdepodobne chýbať medzi ruskými letkami.
These planes have already been produced. The floods were destined for Egypt.

You have to wonder how Russia is gonna produce 24 of its top fighters while facing a scarcity of ressources in avionics and strategical components.
That certainly would be an interesting exercise to watch but then, those 24 are probably going to be missing among Russian squadrons.

Dont think many realize how long Russia has planned for the worst case scenario. Even then this conflict has created pretty huge delays in civil and military aviation. That said, ruskies are still building su-34 and su-35 and su-57 fighters as well as the tu-160m and il-76 with the ps-90 engines and other equipment as we speak.

Dont think many realize how long Russia has planned for the worst case scenario. Even then this conflict has created pretty huge delays in civil and military aviation. That said, ruskies are still building su-34 and su-35 and su-57 fighters as well as the tu-160m and il-76 with the ps-90 engines and other equipment as we speak.
It is true that it seems that Russia was remarkably well prepared for the sanctions and that they are not a problem for its military industry.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like it, Egypt caved in to US demands. Ironically, the americans would have been much better served to have those Su-35 in Egypt, rather than in the hands of one of their designated main opponents (be it Iran or even just being absorbed into the VKS), so it's a classic shoot yourself in the foot case.

This war was inevitable as long as the west kept using proxy wars, coups and regime changes to destabilize Putin's Russia. Likewise it was inevitable as long as Russia continued supporting the separatist republics and kept Crimea for itself and made headlines about the growth of NATO.
It is true that it seems that Russia was remarkably well prepared for the sanctions and that they are not a problem for its military industry.
Or more likely is that the exagerrated western propaganda has little to do with reality. If we were to believe them Russia shouldn't have been able to manufacture pretty much anything after 2014, which of course is nonsense. At least as far as the various Sukhois are concerned they continued to build quite a lot of them for VKS and export too, here's a table showing new aircraft deliveries since 2008.

Attachments

• 1821e68a6922b.jpg
    1821e68a6922b.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 31
Iran announced that they would be receiving the Su-35 soon.
The initial aircraft would probably be from the Russia Airforce stocks.