Roland Payen projects and prototypes

Hi All!
I have few questions about SP.25. First of all - couldn't find any data besides sketch and few infos about 300 hp engines used in "I". Any info about dimensions, weight and calculated performances exist?
And second - on drawing instead of Sauvage is name of Francois Baudot. Why?

Attachments

• P-SP.25.png
    P-SP.25.png
    363 KB · Views: 98
Hi All!
I have few questions about SP.25. First of all - couldn't find any data besides sketch and few infos about 300 hp engines used in "I". Any info about dimensions, weight and calculated performances exist?
And second - on drawing instead of Sauvage is name of Francois Baudot. Why?

Baudot was the inventor of a device called "Complex Sécurité", which was a transmission mechanism allowing to drive two counter-rotating propellers. It was planned to be used on the SP 25.

I don't know why it is sometimes referred to as two "Bearn" engines (Bearn begins to build aircraft engines in 1937, and the SP.25 was to participate in the 1933 Deutsch Cup). I believe this is a mix-up and that the Baudot engine is of a "similar configuration" to the 1938 Bearn 12 A engine.

Baudot engine (from Pilote Privé N°85/February 1984)

Attachments

• Payen SP.25 moteur Baudot.jpg
    Payen SP.25 moteur Baudot.jpg
    486.7 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
For the SP-25 (maybe from Pilote Privé N°86 March 1981. I forgot to indicate the reference on the document)

There are several issues ( As so often when it comes to Payen aircraft...).

This file below, from Roland Payen, indicates 200 hp . the calculations of the "power per m²" and the "load per horse" also give a power of 200 hp.
In the book Les moteurs à pistons aéronautiques français tome 1 (Docavia publishing, 1987) the power is 600 hp. In Flug Revue from July 1995, Skyways 23 and Fast Facts 65 (and another article in German which I forgot to take the reference) German author Ferdinand C. Käsmann indicates 600 hp, as a "quarter" of the engine gave 150 hp on the test bench.

In this file below, the empty weight is 420 kgs and the max weight ("en charge") is 730 kgs. In the book Les moteurs à pistons aéronautiques français tome 1, the weight of the Baudot's engine is already 400 kgs...

Otherwise, in this file below :
-max speed 450 km/h,
-length 6,15 m (for Käsmann: 6,86 m)*
-span (canards/"machutes") 3,5 m (for Käsmann: 3,3 m and deltaflügel: 3,2 m)
-height : 2,2 m
-max aera ? (I don't know what is "surface totale en projection") : 9,96 m²
-"useful area" (I don't know what is it) : 7,50 m² (for Käsmann: delta flügel 6,86 m²)*

*We can see that the length of the plane and area of the delta wing give identical values. This may be a confusion on Käsmann's part.

Attachments

• Payen SP.25 Pilote Privé .jpg
    Payen SP.25 Pilote Privé .jpg
    403.5 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Thank you very much Deltafan. I was also suprised by information, that Baudot system was compiled with two Bearn engines, but thought, that I didn't understand something. Signature "12A suggest 12 cylinders, but on drawing of Baudot engine you attached (I knew it before but in worse copy) are evidently visible eight cylinders for each quoters (mean 32 cylinders for all). On airplane drawings I found only 2x8 exhausts on the top of engine cowling, so as I think that engine was in "X" position and had one exhaust for two cylinders (one from lower and one from higher block) or on drawings should also be ehhausts under fuselage (simplest solution IMO).

Thank you.

I've been having a few questions about a couple Payen designs, the 190 and 230, both battle field medevac aircraft, the 230 carrying one stretcher being the more realistic of the two designs.

I have both in the Unicraft resin models, and have been wondering if these could have been built and flyable?

Call it a minor morbid curiosity, and were I to work out a few numbers, perhaps the 190 could carry 4 stretchers, but then I was always the kind of person to root for the underdog.
I have a question. What are the dimensions of the SP.190?

I have a question. What are the dimensions of the SP.190?
Hi Tim,

This question has already been asked in this topic. Unfortunately, no document gives its dimensions. Regarding the SP.190 and 240 projects, we can only say that they are derivatives of the SP.230 project, which was visibly smaller than them, but for which we have dimensions..

For this SP.230, the data is:

Sauvage-Payen SP.230 autoplan
two seats private plane
engine : Salmson 7AC 90 hp
Length : 5,80 m
Wingspan : 3,96 m
Height : 2,20 m

Main wing surface : 12,88 m²
Forward wing surface : 3,05 m²
Empty weight : 190 kg
Moving (good translation ?) weight : 235 kg
Max weight : 425 kg
Wing loading : 26 kg/m²
Loading/hp : 6,53 kg/hp
Max speed : 200 km/h
Min speed : 80 km/h
Max (good translation ?) flying height : 1 500 m
Range : 1200 km

Otherwise, it is possible to measure the dimensions of the 1/72 model released by Unicraft a few years ago to have approximate dimensions. The company doesn't have any more information than we do, but I imagine that their experience has allowed them to make relatively precise calculations.
Since my last replies on this topic, a few years ago, I acquired this model, which is somewhere in my belongings, but I never put it together (one of all the things I have had to do for years ...).
I will try to find it and take brief measurements to give approximate dimensions.

Well, on the 3 views drawing of the Unicraft SP.190 model, I measured 17.3 (floor size) - 17.6 cm (overall length) for the length, 8.2-8.6 cm for the width (canards, but the top view and the front view do not give the same length) and 5.8-5.9 cm for the height (cockpit, same problem with the profile view and the front view).

Which would give us approximately for the SP.190 project:

Length: 12,50 m
Wingspan: 6.05 m
Height: 4.21 m

Last edited:
Well, on the 3 views drawing of the Unicraft SP.190 model, I measured 17.3 (floor size) - 17.6 mm (overall length) for the length, 8.2-8.6 mm for the width (canards, but the top view and the front view do not give the same length) and 5.8-5.9 mm for the height (cockpit, same problem with the profile view and the front view).

Which would give us approximately for the SP.190 project:

Length: 12,50 m
Wingspan: 6.05 m
Height: 4.21 m
Thank you very much! But didn't you measure the span in centimeters?

Thank you very much! But didn't you measure the span in centimeters?
Yes, you're right, it's in centimeters, not millimeters. I modified in the previous topic.

Edit : did you want too the span for the wings only (which is different than the span with the canards) ?

Yes, you're right, it's in centimeters, not millimeters. I modified in the previous topic.

Edit : did you want too the span for the wings only (which is different than the span with the canards) ?
I think that knowing D and L will be more than enough.

Attachments

• SP-190-PlanView_1.jpg
    SP-190-PlanView_1.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 30
I think that knowing D and L will be more than enough.
If I understood your message correctly, I have, as said: 8.2 - 8.6 cm for the width at the level of the canards ducks
and,
after additional measurement: a wingspan of 7.3 - 7.6 cm

Which gives, approximately:

-6.05 m for the width at the level of the canards (L on your drawing), as already said
-5.35 m for the wingspan (D on your drawing).

If I understood your message correctly, I have, as said: 8.2 - 8.6 cm for the width at the level of the canards ducks
and,
after additional measurement: a wingspan of 7.3 - 7.6 cm

Which gives, approximately:

-6.05 m for the width at the level of the canards (L on your drawing), as already said
-5.35 m for the wingspan (D on your drawing).
Thank you very much!