McDonnell-Douglas F-15 Projects

Did Boeing ever consider resuming production of new "light airframe" F-15s for the air-superiority role? With a pair of F100-PW-229 or 232 engines that would have an amazing T/W ratio.

Sorry, I've missed something somewhere....whats this about "light airframe" your speaking of??

Regards
Pioneer

F-15E was heavier, stressed for low altitude strike. All recently produced F-15s are F-15E based. I'm pretty sure Colonial-Marine is suggesting producing new F-15C airframes with modern engines. It's a non-starter because its been out of production since... forever.

Last edited:
F-15E was heavier, stressed for low altitude strike. All recently produced F-15s are F-15E based. I'm pretty sure Colonial-Marine is suggesting producing new F-15C airframes with modern engines. It's a non-starter because its been out of production since... forever.

Plus, one of the major airframe changes in the E was the common engine bay needed for those new engines. A new air superiority F-15 would end up being a weird hybrid airframe anyway. You'd need the E's aft fuselage for the engines and something like the SA's new wing for the restored outboard missile hardpoints (since a new air superiority F-15 would likely need to be able to serve as a missileer backing up stealthy planes like the F-22).

SHiELD is comprised of three elements: the laser itself, which is being developed by Lockheed Martin; the beam control system made by Northrop Grumman; and the pod that encases the weapons system, from Boeing. Heggemeier said the pod is under construction, with integration of the laser and beam control system planned to start next year.

“A lot of the challenge is trying to get all of this stuff into this small pod. If you look at other lasers that are fairly mature, we have other laser systems that some other contractors have built that are ready to be deployed. But these are ground-based systems, and they are much, much more mature,” he said.

In April 2019, the Air Force Research Lab conducted a ground test with a surrogate laser system — the Demonstrator Laser Weapon System, or DLWS, now in use by the Army. The demonstration involved the successful downing of several air-to-air missiles.

“It turns out the DLWS system, when you take everything into account, is a really good surrogate for the laser power on SHiELD,” Heggemeier said.

Because both SHiELD and DLWS generate similar amounts of energy on target — in SHiELD’s case, Heggemeier would only say that it amounts to “tens of kilowatts” — the surrogate test gave the lab a good idea how the laser physically affects a target.

In 2019, the team conducted a flight test of a pod with the same outer mold line as the one under development by Boeing. The pod was mounted to an aircraft — Heggemeier declined to specify the model — and flown around Eglin Air Force Base, Florida, to help measure how vibrations, the force of gravity and other environmental factors might influence the performance of the weapon.

Air Force Magazine reported in 2019 that aerial demonstrations of SHiELD would occur onboard an F-15 fighter jet.

SHiELD is comprised of three elements: the laser itself, which is being developed by Lockheed Martin; the beam control system made by Northrop Grumman; and the pod that encases the weapons system, from Boeing. Heggemeier said the pod is under construction, with integration of the laser and beam control system planned to start next year.

“A lot of the challenge is trying to get all of this stuff into this small pod. If you look at other lasers that are fairly mature, we have other laser systems that some other contractors have built that are ready to be deployed. But these are ground-based systems, and they are much, much more mature,” he said.

In April 2019, the Air Force Research Lab conducted a ground test with a surrogate laser system — the Demonstrator Laser Weapon System, or DLWS, now in use by the Army. The demonstration involved the successful downing of several air-to-air missiles.

“It turns out the DLWS system, when you take everything into account, is a really good surrogate for the laser power on SHiELD,” Heggemeier said.

Because both SHiELD and DLWS generate similar amounts of energy on target — in SHiELD’s case, Heggemeier would only say that it amounts to “tens of kilowatts” — the surrogate test gave the lab a good idea how the laser physically affects a target.

In 2019, the team conducted a flight test of a pod with the same outer mold line as the one under development by Boeing. The pod was mounted to an aircraft — Heggemeier declined to specify the model — and flown around Eglin Air Force Base, Florida, to help measure how vibrations, the force of gravity and other environmental factors might influence the performance of the weapon.

Air Force Magazine reported in 2019 that aerial demonstrations of SHiELD would occur onboard an F-15 fighter jet.
Footage from inside cockpit of Qatar Emiri Air Forces F-15QA during first flight.

Here's a couple of pics of QA#2 (17-0002) I took last week as it was shooting approaches at Lambert Field.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• zMG_3378.jpg
    zMG_3378.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 448
  • zzMG_3379.jpg
    zzMG_3379.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 423
ED323BC9-B5BC-49AA-B8B1-664B2E784F64.jpeg Are those bumps on either side of the cockpit IRST, or something else? I’ve never noticed them before.

IMHO this passive/ active (missile) warning and survivability system was first implemented on the F-15SG for Singapore, a version of the F-15E Strike Eagle.
The IRST-sensor will be installed in the LEGION pod, which is shown on the station 5 under the main fuselage in that picture.

IMHO this passive/ active (missile) warning and survivability system was first implemented on the F-15SG for Singapore, a version of the F-15E Strike Eagle.
The IRST-sensor will be installed in the LEGION pod, which is shown on the station 5 under the main fuselage in that picture.

Indeed. You can also see them on Saudi ones.

_dsc6077.jpg

defense-large.jpg

Yep. The SA and QA has them as well. And now, so does the J-10 :rolleyes:

unnamed.jpg

These new Eagles have the outer wing pylons but all of marketing artwork shows two AIM-9Xs being carried on the inner pylons adjacent to the CFTs. Wouldn't it make more sense to move them to the outboard pylons to give the IR seeker a better field of view?

I think that's just how the USAF prefer to Carry the Aim-9x and probably other IR Missiles on the F-15C/E

Attachments

• 22628689.jpg
    22628689.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 308
  • october-2015-boeing-f15c-eagle-260nw-339953846.jpg
    october-2015-boeing-f15c-eagle-260nw-339953846.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 310
These new Eagles have the outer wing pylons but all of marketing artwork shows two AIM-9Xs being carried on the inner pylons adjacent to the CFTs. Wouldn't it make more sense to move them to the outboard pylons to give the IR seeker a better field of view?

One would think so, yes. OTOH the AMRAAMs would be rail launched from those pylons, i.e. the rocket motor ignites with the missile still attached to the aircraft. Perhaps the smaller Sidewinder motor is simply kinder to the fuselage/CFT in close proximity?

On the J-10 those are RF apertures though, not EO. So if Chengdu copied anybody it would be the Rafale or Su-24M.

Last edited:

One would think so, yes. OTOH the AMRAAMs would be rail launched from those pylons, i.e. the rocket motor ignites with the missile still attached to the aircraft. Perhaps the smaller Sidewinder motor is simply kinder to the fuselage/CFT in close proximity?

On the J-10 those are RF apertures though, not EO. So if Chengdu copied anybody it would be the Rafale or Su-24M.
Quite possibly the explanation.
Another possible explanation is re: potential engine ingestion by the F-15 inlets of the AIM-120s more powerful rocket engine efflux and exhaust gasses (versus the equivalent from a Sidewinder fires from the same rails/ stations).

KJ_Lesnick said:
Those thrust-vectoring F-15 designs look pretty cool. Why were they cancelled exactly?

KJ Lesnick
BTW: I take it the 25 mm caseless GAU-7 ammo was cancelled due to problems with the ammunition?

If you are talking about the STOL versions, USAF official policy has always been that no runway is every going to be taken out, so there is no need to develop anything for that situation.. Therefore, they were never going to develop anything like that, because that might call into question the fundamental way it operates. As far as air-to-air TV, in the early days the technology wasn't there to have the flight control systems that would really be able to use that technology. By the time the necessary technologies materued enough to truly make it practical, missiles with Helmet Mounted Sights were being deployed and they are much more effective (and cheaper) than TV, so it just wasn't worth the money. Also, doing TV on an F-15 might emerge as a threat to funding for the F-22 and this could not be allowed.

The GAU-7 did die because of problems with the caseless ammunition. Since using guns in fighter combat has been a poor way of knocking down other fighters (although I guess it beats ramming) since the early '60s (and yes, the Vietnam experience confirmed this), it wasn't worth the money and time to fix it. The M61 was good enough.

Well, I'd say those were some of the least charitable interpretations possible. Got much animosity towards USAF there, bud?

To reply in much the same spirit, and with a similar level of honesty, the USN dumped the Tomcat, and Intruder, and Viking, etc., and went with the pathetically short-ranged and kluged Super Hornet (those angled pylons.......brilliant!) because USN is run by a bunch of black shoe surface fleet admirals who are far more concerned about preserving their archaic fleet of worthless "frigates" and $10 billion destroyers (firing million dollar artillery rounds! - or not) than actually protecting and defending the United States and its interests. Tactical aviation is obviously a frustrating distraction to most naval leadership, they managed to badly botch the Ford class design in numerous areas, and the entire TACAIR fleet is being run down to levels where one may seriously ask whether its worth the cost (I mean, really.........should the Navy have about as many warships as it does fighters?). USAF should start charging the Navy $100,000 per pound of JP4 transferred via their tanker fleet, since the USN can hardly operate beyond the littoral without it.

At its present rate the Navy will be out of the carrier based fixed wing aviation business by 2060 or 70. And I may be being too generous.

A couple of weeks ago, I had the opportunity to see all three existing QAs flying and returning to Lambert. I'll call them the "triplets" - you have to look very closely to see their subdued serial stencils on the vertical fins. 17-001, 17-002 and 17-003.

Attachments

• zMG_3848.jpg
    zMG_3848.jpg
    329.7 KB · Views: 244
  • zMG_3986.jpg
    zMG_3986.jpg
    437.8 KB · Views: 230
  • zMG_4011.jpg
    zMG_4011.jpg
    455.2 KB · Views: 219
  • zMG_4096.jpg
    zMG_4096.jpg
    408.3 KB · Views: 247
  • zMG_4143.jpg
    zMG_4143.jpg
    492.9 KB · Views: 263
KJ_Lesnick said:
Those thrust-vectoring F-15 designs look pretty cool. Why were they cancelled exactly?

KJ Lesnick
BTW: I take it the 25 mm caseless GAU-7 ammo was cancelled due to problems with the ammunition?

If you are talking about the STOL versions, USAF official policy has always been that no runway is every going to be taken out, so there is no need to develop anything for that situation.. Therefore, they were never going to develop anything like that, because that might call into question the fundamental way it operates. As far as air-to-air TV, in the early days the technology wasn't there to have the flight control systems that would really be able to use that technology. By the time the necessary technologies materued enough to truly make it practical, missiles with Helmet Mounted Sights were being deployed and they are much more effective (and cheaper) than TV, so it just wasn't worth the money. Also, doing TV on an F-15 might emerge as a threat to funding for the F-22 and this could not be allowed.

The GAU-7 did die because of problems with the caseless ammunition. Since using guns in fighter combat has been a poor way of knocking down other fighters (although I guess it beats ramming) since the early '60s (and yes, the Vietnam experience confirmed this), it wasn't worth the money and time to fix it. The M61 was good enough.

Well, I'd say those were some of the least charitable interpretations possible. Got much animosity towards USAF there, bud?

To reply in much the same spirit, and with a similar level of honesty, the USN dumped the Tomcat, and Intruder, and Viking, etc., and went with the pathetically short-ranged and kluged Super Hornet (those angled pylons.......brilliant!) because USN is run by a bunch of black shoe surface fleet admirals who are far more concerned about preserving their archaic fleet of worthless "frigates" and $10 billion destroyers (firing million dollar artillery rounds! - or not) than actually protecting and defending the United States and its interests. Tactical aviation is obviously a frustrating distraction to most naval leadership, they managed to badly botch the Ford class design in numerous areas, and the entire TACAIR fleet is being run down to levels where one may seriously ask whether its worth the cost (I mean, really.........should the Navy have about as many warships as it does fighters?). USAF should start charging the Navy $100,000 per pound of JP4 transferred via their tanker fleet, since the USN can hardly operate beyond the littoral without it.

At its present rate the Navy will be out of the carrier based fixed wing aviation business by 2060 or 70. And I may be being too generous.

Gosh Itroach89, I'd feel so much safer if you were running the Navy.

Did Boeing ever consider resuming production of new "light airframe" F-15s for the air-superiority role? With a pair of F100-PW-229 or 232 engines that would have an amazing T/W ratio.
The PW-229 was originally tested on a F-15A in the late 80s.

The F-15 Active which was originally a preproduction F-15b had pw-229s

the JASDF considered installing the F110-ihi-129 on their F-15Js in the late 90s nothing ever seems to have come of this. The Eagle unlike the strike eagle does not have a common bay and this would require re-engineering.

beyond that before they were cleared to get the F-15E Saudi Arabia was offered and going to a single seat Strike Eagle called the F-15F. It likely would have been heavier then the standard eagle but would have had the less draggy canopy of the F-15A/C. This fell through when they were cleared for a moderately downgraded mud hen.

And surprisingly that’s all I’ve found on the subject so far.