McDonnell-Douglas F-15 Projects

So long as everyone is clear they are buying a newly made model and are happy with it, its perfectly fine.

Its pretty nice actually, the only thing I'd question would be the engine exhausts. The best illustration of these is here:

The modeller has drawn petals on the fixed outer section of the exhaust - however the only moveable section is the centre wedge I believe. Still, nice to see it "in the flesh", so to speak.

Last edited:
Advanced F-15 development with close-coupled canards, from a McDonnell Douglas publication:

Attachments

• advanced F-15.jpg
    advanced F-15.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 2,046
Stargazer2006 said:
Advanced F-15 development with close-coupled canards, from a McDonnell Douglas publication:

An artist's impression of the McDonnell Douglas F-15 S/MTD (STOL and Maneuvering Technology Demonstrator)?

Artist's impressions of McDonnell Douglas F-15 S/MTD

Cutaway drawing of McDonnell Douglas F-15 S/MTD

Source:
http://www.zonamilitar.com.ar/foros/threads/desarrollo-de-las-toberas-de-empuje-vectorial.14967/
http://sistemasdearmas.com.br/ca/pista04dispersao1.html
http://vnafbay.blogspot.com/2011/05/f-15-smtd.html

Attachments

• specifications.jpg
    specifications.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 544
  • fast stop.jpg
    fast stop.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 518
  • how the SMTD works.jpg
    how the SMTD works.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 604
  • f15atd4.jpg
    f15atd4.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 1,763
  • pistaf15a.jpg
    pistaf15a.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 1,824
  • MDDF-15SMTD.jpg
    MDDF-15SMTD.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 1,952
  • e003011720050719162907pz9.jpg
    e003011720050719162907pz9.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 1,954
Artist's impression of McDonnell Douglas F-15 S/MTD

Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_Douglas_F-15_STOL/MTD

Attachments

• 1280px-F-15B_C-1984-6457.jpg
    1280px-F-15B_C-1984-6457.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 662
One of the other concepts they were working on (not just STOL) with this aircraft was guidance to a possibly damaged runway at night or in poor weather with no ground-based aids. The concept was that an operational version would have passive sensors as well as Synthetic Aperture Radar.

When the aircraft cog to within a reasonable distance of where the runway would be, it would fly a course ~90 degrees off runway heading. The SAR would be sensitive enough to actually see the concrete of the runway against the terrain and map it precisely. this image and location would be stored within the aircraft's systems and projected onto cockpit displays. When the aircraft trued final, the SAR would lose the picture of the runway, but the location and image was still stored. Using this and the passive sensors, a false image would be projected to the pilot via displays and HUD, appearance changing as it would as the aircraft approached the runway and he would fly the aircraft to a precise landing spot. Would take a lot of trust on the crew's part!

There is a similar concpet coming into use on bizjets where generally the most advanced avionics for navigation show up first, today except that it relies on GPS.

Uhh an AIM-54 under a F-15 !! ... never seen before.

Attachments

• F-15 + AIM-54 - 1.jpg
    F-15 + AIM-54 - 1.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 572
  • F-15 + AIM-54 - 2.jpg
    F-15 + AIM-54 - 2.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 565
F-14D said:
There is a similar concpet coming into use on bizjets where generally the most advanced avionics for navigation show up first, today except that it relies on GPS.

Heck, synthetic vision with runway depictions is now available in EFIS units for homebuilt aircraft. It may not get you all the way to the runway, but it's one hell of a situational awareness aid and an incredible non-certified but usable backup for those oh-(crap) moments. There's at least one documented "save" already of a guy making a dead-stick approach in night IMC over the mountains to a runway*. I've listened to the ATC recording.

*The wisdom of flying in such, with a single piston engine, is another matter...

RF-15 cutaway and cockpit details.

Source: McDonnell-Douglas F-15 Eagle by James P. Stevenson

Added info from Flight (http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1976/1976%20-%202425.html)

MCDONNELL DOUGLAS is emphasising the ability to do air-to-surface missions as well as advanced tactical reconnaissance in its RF-15 Eagle proposals to the United States Air Force. The company points to the growth available in the basic F-15 and two-seat TF-15, but also makes it clear that most of the new systems planned for the Eagle are not only compatible with the present fit but can be installed in space already available in the airframe.Some 77 cu ft of F-15 internal volume is available either for more fuel or equipment, according to McDonnell. The electrical generators can provide another 50kVA of power
and the central computer has nearly 14,000 unused 32-bit words of capacity.

McDonnell proposes that the RF-15 could be introduced into USAF service in 1983, gradually absorbing technology from the current RF-4C Phantom. The F-15's conformal Fast Packs, which have already undergone flight-testing in their fuel-carrying form, would be used. It is intended that financing will build up relatively smoothly as the various configurations of packs and sensors are developed in sequence.

The modifications needed to produce an all-weather, real-time reconnaissance Eagle are claimed to be at a "minimum." New modes will be added to the Hughes APG-63 radar by using advanced techniques such as Doppler beam-sharpening and synthetic-aperture radar. Moving-target indication (MTI) and terrain-following/avoidance modes would also be added, clearly to assist in low-level penetration missions.
The current radar is said to have the processing elements and frequency characteristics demanded by these new modes, while retaining all the current air-to-air modes. Integrated with and cued by the radar would be a combined forward looking infra-red (FLIR) and electrooptical sensor for identifying small targets originally acquired, for example, on radar. The aft cockpit (twocrew are regarded as essential for missions such as reconnaissance and SAM suppression) would be substantially modified to allow the second crewman to manage the systems with the aid of multiple cathode-ray-tube displays, side-mounted hand controllers, a computer, recorders and a data link.

McDonnell Douglas' determination to develop an all-weather strike/attack version of the Eagle, so far completely ruled out by the USAF (see Flight for July 24, page 219), emerges in the company's list of USAF systems which are compatible with the planned RF-15. They include:

• Pave Spike — the Westinghouse ASQ-153 pod is day-only but has television for target detection and identification as well as a laser designator for ground attack.

• Pave Tack — Aeronutronic Ford is prime contractor for this day/night gyro-stabilised pod, which has a forward-looking infra-red sensor for detection and identification, plus a laser designator. The FLIR is
currently the subject of competing proposals by Texas Instruments and Honeywell.

• IR Linescan—the Honeywell AAD-5 infra-red linescanner proposed is the same as the state-of-the-art system being installed in Iranian RF-4Es and chosen for retrofit in some US RF-4Cs.

• Terec—the USAF ALQ-125 Tactical Electronic Reconnaissance (Terec) sensor, made by Litton Amecom, is about to enter service in the RF-4C. The system is designed to locate and identify electronic threats in the battle area. Terec II is designed to add this capability to the QSR system (see below).

• Latar—improved daytime television performance is offered in the Latar (Laser Augmented Target Acquisition and Recognition) pod. The sensor has a narrow-field zoom lens and an automatic video tracker. Near-hemispherical coverage forwards and downwards suggests air-to-ground applications. Latar is being developed by Northrop (see Flight for June 5, page 1492) from the highly successful Tiseo pod, with the addition of a laser designator and spot tracker.

• Loran—Loran C/D would provide high-accuracy navigation for the RF-15. The AN/ARN-92 is already fitted to F-4Ds and A-7Ds, and new equipment is included in the Lear Siegler AN/ARN-101 digital system being installed in F-4Es and RF-4Cs.

• JTIDS—the Joint Tactical Information Distribution System is a digital communications link for real-time distribution to both air and ground units. It uses time-division, multiple access techniques, and a terminal for small platforms such as tactical aircraft is in advanced development. Of the 12 terminals under contract, seven are for the US Navy and five are destined for use in four F-15s; one of the latter batch will be a spare. McDonnell Douglas is expecting a further JTIDS study contract.

• QSR—the Quick-Strike Reconnaissance (QSR) programme is aimed at developing real-time techniques and is to be flight-tested in an RF-4C during 1977. Radar with MTI will be used to cue the FLIR identification sensor in the Pave Tack pod, with data management being integratedvia a modified Lear Siegler ARN-101.

• UPD-X—a projected long-range, all weather sideways-looking airborne radar (SLAR) capable of supplying information via data links to a ground station for analysis in near-real time. Digital processing is used throughout and some of the hardware is already available for testing.

• GPS—the Global Positioning System (GPS) is a proposed worldwide satellite navigation system. Prototype equipment is being designed and built at present. Periodic satellite coverage is expected by 1978, and a fully developed production system should enter service in 1983.

Attachments

• RF-15Cockpit.png
    RF-15Cockpit.png
    546.3 KB · Views: 2,404
  • RF-15.png
    RF-15.png
    324.1 KB · Views: 2,509
We still love it;

http://books.google.com.eg/books?id=YuQDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA238&dq=popular+mechanics+1985&hl=en&sa=X&ei=6Y0AVMiEDsHa0QXftYF4&ved=0CBsQ6AEwADgK#v=onepage&q=popular%20mechanics%201985&f=false

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    839.4 KB · Views: 2,249
I'm sorry if this has been answered elsewhere on the forum, but I was wondering if anyone has information on regarding specifications and program development for the F-15 Sea Eagle proposed for the USN during the 1970s. I was able to find a few images and charts using Google, which I think may have originated elsewhere on this site. I was able to find one of them while doing a search of the forums, but not much else.

Also, I've found reference to a Phoenix interceptor variant. I was wondering if that may have been a separate proposal for a land based design, given that the USAF was still considering replacements for the F-106 interceptor during the 1970s.

cc18da5c1761229d11810d5c6271053d.jpg

F-15N.jpg

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,229.msg179445.html#msg179445

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2.45.html

Huh, an F-15 with turkey feathers on the F100s. Don't see that every day.

It seems like some Israeli units still retain those on their F-15s, as do F-15s equipped with F110s.

F-15 Conformal Fuel Tank Literature and Articles
A selection of McAir and Product Support articles about the F-15 CFT’s. The Modularized Fast Pack article courtesy of the Greater St. Louis Air and Space Museum.

Picture: http://lh5.ggpht.com/-05aK1sE8EPo/VNS8335FfUI/AAAAAAAAEOM/5vaKSRR7EAY/s1600-h/Scan2619Scan26182.jpg
Source: http://aviationarchives.blogspot.com/2015/02/f-15-conformal-fuel-tank-literature-and.html

The most interesting pictures have posted in this topic before, so I won't attach them this time.

Last edited:
Does anyone have more info on some of the prospective FAST packs? Thrust augmentation sounds quite interesting (and I'm a little curious about the gunpod)...

Promotional card for the McDonnell Douglas F-15 STOL/MTD (Short Takeoff and Landing/Maneuver Technology Demonstrator) found on eBay. Did this card come from a collector card set for children?

Source:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1980s-McDonnell-Douglas-F-15-SMTD-Promotional-card-/371265600239?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5671277aef

Attachments

• SMTDcard2.JPG
    SMTDcard2.JPG
    520.1 KB · Views: 373
  • SMTDcard1.JPG
    SMTDcard1.JPG
    697.5 KB · Views: 393
Mark Nankivil said:
A presentation to Canada for a CF-15:

CF-15 Eagle Executive Brief MDC A3626.pdf

Enjoy the Day! Mark

CF-15 Eagle Executive Brief
Untitled 2 An interesting document numbered MDC A3626, concerning the attempt by McDonnell Douglas to sell the F-15 to the Canadians. Many good charts, graphs and illustrations! Credit: The Greater St. Louis Air and Space Museum

Click here to download in PDF form

Source: http://aviationarchives.blogspot.de/2015/05/cf-15-eagle-executive-brief.html

Here we see the little known variant built for a famous pilot. :)

I found this while cataloging photos that came into the Museum as part of a collection.

Attachments

• 2015.56.20 F-15 Project.jpg
    2015.56.20 F-15 Project.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 831
hesham said:
We still love it;

http://books.google.com.eg/books?id=YuQDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA238&dq=popular+mechanics+1985&hl=en&sa=X&ei=6Y0AVMiEDsHa0QXftYF4&ved=0CBsQ6AEwADgK#v=onepage&q=popular%20mechanics%201985&f=false

Now that I know where the idea for the F-15 S/MTD in the Ace Combat Infinity game came from...

IMHO an APR-38 system for the proposed Wild Weasel version of the F-15.
THURSDAY, JULY 23, 2015
F-15 Eagle Chin Pod
Here is an undated article from an MDC “Team Talk” paper on F-15B (71-291) being used to evaluate a chin mounted pod for housing a TV telescope, Flir, or an APR-38 system. I can’t find any other info on this use. Anyone have anything?
Source: http://aviationarchives.blogspot.de/2015/07/f-15-eagle-chin-pod.html

Attachments

• F15B_ChinPod.jpg
    F15B_ChinPod.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 874
Greetings All -

A friend was involved with this proposal and stated that it was flown. First flown in 1983, directional stability was seriously eroded at supersonic speeds and the project essentially faded away by 1985.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

F-15 Eagle chin pod update at the website.
Jack Abercrombie (Who later served as Chief Aerodynamicist for MDC) sent this note about the Chin Pod and it’s testing:

“The first flights of the modification on F-15B #2 took place in the last half of Nov 1983. One of these flights was likely the source of the Team Talk article. For a considerable time after that, Polysonic wind tunnel tests, flight simulations, and electronic control system modifications were made to resolve the deleterious effects of the pod on supersonic directional stability. There was a very limited amount of supersonic flight testing during which the predicted effects on stability were experienced.Work on the pod program continued at a rather slow pace at least until early March 1985. After that, it just seemed to fade away.”
Source: http://aviationarchives.blogspot.de/2015/07/f-15-eagle-chin-pod-update.html

does any body has data regarding this configuration?
many thanks

Attachments

• 239-3.jpg
    239-3.jpg
    860.4 KB · Views: 2,006
shablul7 said:
does any body has data regarding this configuration?
many thanks

Nice tankage!! :p
Yes very interesting!!
That's a hell of a lot of fuel!
Going by this configuration, the USAF was defiantly trying to compensate for something - aka loss of F-111E/F in its inventory :-[

Regards
Pioneer

Pioneer said:
Going by this configuration, the USAF was defiantly trying to compensate for something
Maybe they were trying to compensate for the many consequences of their decades of "not a pound for air-to-ground" idiocy?

The normal load would put those same tanks under the inner wing stations rather than on the CFT stations, but the total fuel load doesn't seem to be any different than normal. Possible an issue with clearance for the JDAMs?

dan_inbox said:
Pioneer said:
Going by this configuration, the USAF was defiantly trying to compensate for something
Maybe they were trying to compensate for the many consequences of their decades of "not a pound for air-to-ground" idiocy?

Actually, "not a pound for air-to-ground" was a brilliant approach that produced exactly what they were looking for. And even still they were able to drop bombs from the A/B/C/D though they never needed or wanted to. Considering they were trying to build an air superiority fighter rather than a strike fighter how do you justify the "idiocy" statement?

Bigotry by a few over-testosteroned jocks who outgrew their competence level to become managers?

Basically the qualities that make a great individual fighter pilot are so very far from what is expected from a country's leader and strategic asset manager?
Personally if I had any say into it, any man dumb enough to say "not a pound for air-to-ground" would have instantly been demoted to individual fighter pilot, with a strong mark on his file to never let him be promoted higher than patrol leader.

I fully understand that ex-fighter jocks feel otherwise. To me it is exactly the same problem as we've had in Israel for several years: the best commando officers are very respectable and useful people, but they are extremely poor prime ministers.
And frankly I don't find it a very productive topic for debate. If you feel that country Army leaders should be allowed to be so bigoted as to refuse to support the ground troops and brag about it, well you can have your opinion but I don't want to discuss it. What I'd have to say to such people isn't fit for print.

fightingirish said:
F-15 Eagle chin pod update at the website. [...]
Source: http://aviationarchives.blogspot.com/2015/07/f-15-eagle-chin-pod-update.html

Ron Downey said:
F-15 Eagle Chin Pod Update Addition
I got some additional info from Keith "Sven" Svendsen on the F-15 Chin Pod testing I posted here.
Sven says: “The photo in the article actually shows one of the FSD F-15A airframes, 71-0289 I think. The chin pod was also tested on 71-0291, see above: as Chief of Test with the F-15 Program Office. In cleaning out my office I found the referenced photo. At first glance, I thought it was an early 1990s test picture since. In the later days of Desert Storm and for a while afterwards, we were looking at a "Single-Seat SEAD" capability for the MSIP jets - to include direction finding gear a la the chin pod and integrating the AGM-88 on stations 2 and 8. The MSIPs were looking for a mission after air dominance was established.”

Thanks, Sven, for the additional info!
Source: http://aviationarchives.blogspot.com/2016/06/f-15-eagle-chin-pod-update-addition.html

Attachments

• F-15B-chin-blister-FQ-evaloriginal3.jpg
    F-15B-chin-blister-FQ-evaloriginal3.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 1,522
dan_inbox said:
Bigotry by a few over-testosteroned jocks who outgrew their competence level to become managers?

Basically the qualities that make a great individual fighter pilot are so very far from what is expected from a country's leader and strategic asset manager?
Personally if I had any say into it, any man dumb enough to say "not a pound for air-to-ground" would have instantly been demoted to individual fighter pilot, with a strong mark on his file to never let him be promoted higher than patrol leader.

I fully understand that ex-fighter jocks feel otherwise. To me it is exactly the same problem as we've had in Israel for several years: the best commando officers are very respectable and useful people, but they are extremely poor prime ministers.
And frankly I don't find it a very productive topic for debate. If you feel that country Army leaders should be allowed to be so bigoted as to refuse to support the ground troops and brag about it, well you can have your opinion but I don't want to discuss it. What I'd have to say to such people isn't fit for print.

Take the chip off your shoulder. They're not saying, "screw the ground troops", they're saying, "air superiority is so important to the success of the war that we need to optimize for it". They already were planning on the A-10. Hey, I know, they should have compromised the A-10 so it could run down the occasional Backfire. Jesus.

Did Boeing ever consider resuming production of new "light airframe" F-15s for the air-superiority role? With a pair of F100-PW-229 or 232 engines that would have an amazing T/W ratio.