Start with a Hurricane, graft a Gladiator canopy and deck on it, and see what you have around in the way of cantilever spatted landing gear.

http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=413&t=36616&hilit=fury+monoplane ;D

cheers,
Robin.

The Fury Monoplane could potentially have been quite a leap forward for its day. For comparison, the Miles M.20 stopgap fighter prototype of 1940 was a compromise design using as many Miles M.9 Master advanced trainer parts as possible and fixed gear to simplify construction. The result was a fighter midway between the Hurricane and the Spitfire in terms of performance with exactly the same engine, but with twice the fuel and twice the ammunition thanks to the weight saved and the volume made available in the wings by the fixed gear.

m20.jpg

PaulMM (Overscan) said:
It was revised to meet the RAF requirement (F5/34) and the new Merlin engine added to become the Hurricane.

Thank you my dear Paul,

and also from the same source.

Attachments

• Hurricane.JPG
    Hurricane.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 531
PaulMM (Overscan) said:
It was revised to meet the RAF requirement (F5/34) and the new Merlin engine added to become the Hurricane.

Actually it was developed in parallel with F.5/34, not to meet it, under the Air Ministry's experimental fighter programme. A brief outline spec. was then written around it, F36/34, and subsequently it was tweaked to meet many of the requirements of F.10/35, which was then withdrawn. In so doing it moved from the experimental programme into the mainstream service fighter programme. The aircraft designed to meet F.5/34 suffered as a consequence as they were considered lower priority.

I have this image in my collection but cannot remember where I found it online. It is drawing E.57540 but clearly earlier than the version with the same number dated August 1934 which is included in Sydney Camm and the Hurricane which is the design that formed the basis for the F.36/34 spec. Does anyone knows the source or date of the drawing?

Attachments

• 57540_1.jpg
    57540_1.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 366

Looking at the ga. drawing (with a view to modelling), is that a wooden skinned wing ? or something more akin to early fabric covered Hurricane ?

cheers, Joe

Looking at the ga. drawing (with a view to modelling), is that a wooden skinned wing ? or something more akin to early fabric covered Hurricane ?

cheers, Joe
The wing plan is very similar to that of the earliest Hurricane design, a little smaller and with slightly greater sweep on the trailing edge, so as structural design at Hawker during this period was progressive I would consider fabric covering to be the more likely.

Thanks Ralph, il go with a subtle fabric covering on the wings. As you say a structural progression from Fury to Hurricane

cheers, Joe