• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Eurofighter Typhoon

harrier

BAe P.1216 book: harrier.org.uk/P1216.htm
Reaction score
Typhoon, Rafale, F-15...presumably a SU-57 order will follow! :eek:

harrier

BAe P.1216 book: harrier.org.uk/P1216.htm
Reaction score
Seems like the anticipated second Saudi order is unlikely, and that the recent Qatari deal may be a mirage too:

https://www.ft.com/content/318d025a-a849-11e7-ab55-27219df83c97?mhq5j=e6

They also have a new CEO, who may see the future differently.

DWG

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
It's that old favourite MRCA - must re-organize company again. Though eliminating layers of management is novel for a BAE reorganization, most of these things add them.

Flyaway

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
RAF talks up Typhoon interoperability with F-35

As interest in fifth-generation fighters builds in the UAE, a top Royal Air Force officer explained at the show how the Eurofighter Typhoon is already demonstrating how a non-stealthy fighter can integrate with the Lockheed Martin F-35 in contested airspace.
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/dubai-raf-talks-up-typhoon-interoperability-with-f-443219/

Deltafan

Reaction score
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/saudi-purge-may-lift-lid-on-43bn-bae-arms-deal-ppx7l72l7

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Yamamah_arms_deal

Flyaway

Reaction score
Qatar buys 24 Eurofighter Typhoon jets in £6bn deal

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42302767

Deltafan

Reaction score
Germany favors Eurofighter as it seeks to replace Tornado

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-germany-defence/germany-favors-eurofighter-as-it-seeks-to-replace-tornado-idUSKBN1E52EK

The last month, the chief of the German air force indicated that he preferred Lockheed Martin’s F-35

mrmalaya

Consider it done.
Reaction score
Well it's what the UK have done in the first instance, but are they talking about new jets or spreading the fleet more thinly?

Hood

Reaction score
Of course the Government would say that; buying Eurofighters backs Airbus, keeps the German Eurofighter line open and saves money.
Though I share mrmalaya's hunch that the Defence Ministry is probably thinking about retrofitting air-ground enhancements rather than buying more airframes (or a modest buy, certainly not 85 more).

mrmalaya

Consider it done.
Reaction score
Also very hard for Airbus to push Typhoon in Belgium if Germany overlooks it in favour of the F35.

It actually makes a lot of sense regardless, although as others have said - the nuclear role appears to be an unresolved problem for Typhoon.

Flyaway

Reaction score
Eurofighter powers up Typhoon production for Kuwait

Kuwait's future fleet of Typhoons remains on track for introduction from 2019, with the first major parts now in production by the Eurofighter partner companies.
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/eurofighter-powers-up-typhoon-production-for-kuwait-444148/

sferrin

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score

mrmalaya

Consider it done.
Reaction score
Airbus were being fairly logical for a change, although it was only the flip side of the argument that Germany is undermining NATO if it doesn't go for the F35.

If the T3 is plumbed for CFTs, I can't imagine this T4 being anything other than CFT ready. The UK has been quiet on CFTs for Typhoon, but that is probably something that will become more tangeable once they are the only Storm Shadow carrier for the RAF.

Electronic attack was something the RAF were very keen on using the AESA for, so that would support with this article too.

sferrin

Reaction score
mrmalaya said:
Airbus were being fairly logical for a change, although it was only the flip side of the argument that Germany is undermining NATO if it doesn't go for the F35.
So, "no" to there being a competition? I wonder why.

Arjen

It's turtles all the way down
Reaction score
There are the political and economical dimensions of keeping an iron in the fire with fast jets.

sferrin

Reaction score
Arjen said:
There are the political and economical dimensions of keeping an iron in the fire with fast jets.
You'd think they'd forgo this for at least, if not buying, then building their own next-gen jet.

sferrin

Reaction score
marauder2048 said:
Tonal change or merely headline change?
Germany doesn't have any nukes. Oh, they think we'll enable their Typhoon to carry them after they pass on F-35s?

Attachments

Arjen

It's turtles all the way down
Reaction score
sferrin said:
You'd think they'd forgo this for at least, if not buying, then building their own next-gen jet.
That next-gen jet is not going to be ready in 2025 - when Tornado needs replacing. Germany needs to decide, a major consideration is keeping its manufacturing abilities alive. Among others, to be able to build that next-gen jet.

Hood

Reaction score
sferrin said:
So, "no" to there being a competition? I wonder why.
LM are offering the F-35 anyway, with a lead time of three years. They see the F-35 as a complimentary asset to Typhoon (not an unrealistic claim given the dual RAF fleet) and a "leg up" to European industry.
Given the German interest that has been expressed it seems likely that both types will be evaluated, assuming of course Germany does replace its Tornado fleet. Like the Franco-German FCAS, there seems to be a lot of industry noise but not much coming from the defence ministries.
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/ila-f-35-competes-against-eurofighter-for-german-to-448062/

Borne out by MTU urging the politicians to get busy if they are going to develop a new engine in time. I'm surprised that MTU is going it alone (someone please correct me if I'm wrong but have MTU ever developed an engine outside of an international collaboration?). I wouldn't be surprised if Safran don't get on board at some point. Also surprising is the lack of any involvement from Rolls-Royce so far, they seem keen to get onto a future fighter engine so I suppose it will only be a matter of time.
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/ila-mtu-urges-speedy-start-for-future-european-fig-448070/

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
He argues that “lessons must be learned” from the Europrop International TP400 – Europe's latest military engine programme, which powers the Airbus A400M tactical transport – and that a new development effort should be planned without "too tight" a schedule, under which "milestones will be missed".
very good

also:
Central for a new engine programme will be the development of more heat-resistant materials, which will require less cooling air from the gas path and offer increased efficiency, and variable-cycle engine technology, Schreyögg says. He notes that variable geometries in the compressor and turbine will be required to provide a future aircraft with maximum thrust in combat situations, along with versatility and efficiency in less demanding conditions.
Anyone else with the word "adaptative" in mind?

_Del_

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Arjen said:
sferrin said:
That next-gen jet is not going to be ready in 2025 - when Tornado needs replacing. Germany needs to decide, a major consideration is keeping its manufacturing abilities alive. Among others, to be able to build that next-gen jet.
It's too late to get workshare on the F-35 program... Except -- I really don't know why Germany (and/or France) doesn't get the opportunity to buy out some or all of Turkey's membership status and resulting offsets and production/maintenance portions. Make Turkey whole through structured payments and assume their workshare.

I realize it would be less than ideal both practically and politically, but it keeps/expands manufacturing in Germany, gives them hands on experience in 5th gen operations and production and resulting technology transfers, replaces the Tornado in the short-term, pushes back the timeline/urgency for their joint project with France long-term, etc

Also rids the consortium of a somewhat prickly problem re:Turkey in a way short of yanking it from them entirely. Seems like something of a kludge, but so are all the alternatives.

Michel Van

Reaction score
sferrin said:
marauder2048 said:
Tonal change or merely headline change?
Germany doesn't have any nukes. Oh, they think we'll enable their Typhoon to carry them after they pass on F-35s?
oh yes i had my Haddock moment reading that line

The Eurofighter is not a Bomber, that part is for Tornado fleet or what ever the Luftwaffe has in operations for moment
Official they have around 85 Tornados, but handful are in operational condition

and here lies the Problem so long German Federal Government not putting more money into Luftwaffe
it don't matter if they got Eurofighter, F-35 or new fancy-schmancy German French Bomber, they become sitting ducks do shoe string Budget on maintenance...

Deltafan

Reaction score
90 new enhanced EF for the replacement of the german Tornado ?

http://www.janes.com/article/79567/ila-2018-eurofighter-touts-typhoon-as-pathway-to-fcas-future-combat-aircraft

enhancements earmarked include upgrades to the E-Scan radar now being developed; long-range and standoff weapons; enhanced defensive aids; improvements to the efficiency and power output of the EJ200 engines (he cited a 15% increase in power); as well as enhancements related to the suppression of enemy air defences (SEAD)

TsrJoe

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
Just musing, were any trials carried out with the Typhoon for possible carriage of the B.61? (as per German Tornado)

Image ; Sandia B.61 nuclear store training shape being fitted to a Panavia Tornado of JaboG.33 at Buchel

Attachments

Hood

Reaction score
Given the rumours that the RAF might cut its F-35 order in favour of cheaper Typhoons it might be possible that the RAF will order more to a similar standard.

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Reaction score
Given current events, I wonder if this is back on the table? Though with Brussels' attempting to reprise Carthago delenda est with regards as to the British, Eurofighter and NETMA may understandably be otherwise distracted...

(h/t sferrin)

Flyaway

Reaction score
The past 12 months have seen a momentous shift in the UK’s combat aircraft balance, with Royal Air Force (RAF) Eurofighter Typhoon FGR4s having received new ground-attack weapons, its last Panavia Tornado GR4s retiring and the type’s successor – the Lockheed Martin F-35B – conducting its first operational missions in the Middle East.