Dassault Rafale NEWS ONLY

Deltafan

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
According to concordant sources, Egypt is interested in conventionally powered Barracuda submarines, which would be manufactured by Naval Group.
(...)
The country led by Marshal Abdel Fattah al-Sissi is also studying the purchase of a second-hand aircraft carrier, which would be armed with around twenty Rafale Marine.
(...)

As usual: to be confirmed...

starviking

Reaction score
According to concordant sources, Egypt is interested in conventionally powered Barracuda submarines, which would be manufactured by Naval Group.
(...)
The country led by Marshal Abdel Fattah al-Sissi is also studying the purchase of a second-hand aircraft carrier, which would be armed with around twenty Rafale Marine.
(...)

Purchase of a secondhand aircraft carrier, capable of using Rafales? That could only be São Paulo, but there’d be a hell of a lot of work to get her operational.

isayyo2

Lurker alert
Reaction score
(...)
(...)

Purchase of a secondhand aircraft carrier, capable of using Rafales? That could only be São Paulo, but there’d be a hell of a lot of work to get her operational.
Russia needs some fast cash and it’s willing to swap their Su-35 deal for the Kuznetsov? :D

helmutkohl

Staff member
Reaction score
(...)
(...)

Russia needs some fast cash and it’s willing to swap their Su-35 deal for the Kuznetsov? :D
lol i know its a joke... but
say Russia ends up selling the Kuznetsov.. wouldn't they need to add cats to it? not sure if the US will be willing to allow it to be placed on a Russian ship..
but then again, Rafale supposedly took off from a ski jump in India recently, with decent loads.

helmutkohl

Staff member
Reaction score
Or French selling CDG. That's even better deal for India TBH.
imagine if France went with the PA2.. they may have gotten their first one around now
then they could sell the CDG to India or Egypt, as well as more Rafales!

dan_inbox

Reaction score
IMO the initial question remains: Why on Earth would the Egyptian navy need an aircraft carrier?
To brag bigger and longer than the neighbours ?

AFAIK it's not like they have overseas possessions to defend, and their only sorta-colonial-claim is Sudan, for which a carrier is not not really useful.
Even to go brag off Libya, a carrier won't be useful enough to justify its cost.
(without even discussing how many assets would be tied up by the protection of such a high-viz target)

Hood

Staff member
Reaction score
Glad someone asked the killer question - why?
Makes no sense to me, especially if it is the São Paulo (surely the Indian's aren't thinking of selling Gorshkov are they?).

Presumably Turkey would be seen as the neighbour with bragging rights to beat, having now started building LHAs and one day perhaps getting F-35Bs aboard them (never say never).

helmutkohl

Staff member
Reaction score
isn't Egypt involved in some kind of cold war with Turkey? they are on opposite sides in Libya, as well as having massive problems with the new EEZ claims in the East Med. With Egypt-Greece on one side (with a friendly Russia), and Turkey on the other.

but I still don't see it justifying a carrier.

Archibald

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
I wonder if a Mistral hull could be stretched to 240 m: comparable to Trieste / Cavour / Juan Carlos. Never realized how... short the Mistrals are.
But not many Rafales would fit inside, even if they could achieve STOBAR from the deck.
That's the other big issue: without a wing fold, they take more hangar room inside the hull...

helmutkohl

Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder if a Mistral hull could be stretched to 240 m: comparable to Trieste / Cavour / Juan Carlos. Never realized how... short the Mistrals are.
But not many Rafales would fit inside, even if they could achieve STOBAR from the deck.
That's the other big issue: without a wing fold, they take more hangar room inside the hull...
I believe the F-35B and Rafale have the same wingspan of 11m right? (correct me if wrong)
if so..
Cavour could certainly handle 20 fixed wing fighter jets of that size..
but im worried that with out an angled deck.. take offs and landings cant be done simultaneously
DdfevoIU8AA01rU.jpg

Deltafan

Reaction score
isn't Egypt involved in some kind of cold war with Turkey? they are on opposite sides in Libya, as well as having massive problems with the new EEZ claims in the East Med. With Egypt-Greece on one side (with a friendly Russia), and Turkey on the other.

but I still don't see it justifying a carrier.
The French Barracuda submarines are long-range submarines, unlike the Scorpene (Even if it's range is more than enough for the Mediterranean), also made by France.

I am not Sissi, and the elements of the article remain to be confirmed. But, if it is, it seems to show the will to acquire a high seas fleet, even if it seems quite strange in the today's Egyptian context.

Now, with the additional costs in all areas (especially in basic necessities, such as food) that will be brought about by the war in Ukraine, perhaps Sissi will have other immediate worries than to buy submarines, aircraft carriers and Rafale Marine (except if the money from the hydrocarbons compensate for the additional costs in question)...

Last edited:

kaiserd

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
My geopolitical reading of this may be wrong but I had thought there was an element of the Gulf States (principally but not solely Saudi Arabia) helping to support and pay for some of Egypt’s more recent extravagant military purchases (the Mistral, etc). Some of this appears political (supporting the current Egyptian regime, a down payment to Russia, France etc re: future political and economic influence, etc.) but also practical/ logically minded (i.e. the Gulf states want this type of capability but know their navies are too small to support it so there’s a degree of outsourcing to Egypt in this regard).
If that type of scenario will actually extend out to all the ambitions set out above is an open question.

Last edited:

helmutkohl

Staff member
Reaction score
what ever happened to Rafale with CFTs?

I remember in the early days, they did quite a few flight tests with CFTs attached.
was there no interest by any operators?

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
Next Thursday should see Greece signing for the 6 extra Rafale (and fregates) :

helmutkohl

Staff member
Reaction score
Novi Avion finally arrives.. but this time as a larger twin-engined aircraft..
made entirely in France. ;)

Dreamfighter

'Senior Something'
Reaction score
Novi Avion finally arrives.. but this time as a larger twin-engined aircraft..
made entirely in France. ;)

Which will then be shipped by Y-20 transports from Belgrade to ... :rolleyes:

Attachments

• BelgraY20Aapr9th22.jpg
    BelgraY20Aapr9th22.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 30

Deltafan

Reaction score
Maybe four used Rafale M (at first) soon for Indian Navy :

The race to sell a new aircraft carrier-based fighter jet to the Indian Navy is heating up. Last week, US manufacturer Boeing announced it would be deploying two F/A-18 E/F Super Hornet fighters to an Indian Navy test facility in Goa for flight trials.
On Wednesday, French media outlet La Tribune reported the French government has been studying “for several months” the sale of four used 'Rafale Marine' jets to the Indian Navy.
(...)
The Rafale Marine and Super Hornet are considered the front-runners to win a contract that would involve supply of up to 57 jets to the Indian Navy. These jets would primarily operate off the aircraft carrier Vikrant, which is currently undergoing sea trials.
La Tribune reported France had been studying the sale of used Rafale Marine jets to gain an edge to win the larger contract from the Indian Navy.
(...)
La Tribune claimed India could decide to buy up to 26 new naval fighters by the end of the year. The La Tribune report comes days before Prime Minister Narendra Modi is scheduled to visit France.
(...)

As usual : to be confirmed...

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
(As a back story of the Great Aircraft Bazaar news):

La Direction générale de l’armement (DGA) a notifié le 25 avril 2022 à la société Thales la commande de 21 nacelles Talios supplémentaires, portant ainsi à 67 la cible de l’opération d’armement « Pod de désignation laser nouvelle génération » (PDL NG). Cette commande, d’un montant de cent millions d’euros, inclut un complément en moyens de soutien initial. Elle s’inscrit dans le cadre de l’utilisation des ressources extrabudgétaires générées par la cession à la Croatie, fin 2021, d’avions Rafale provenant du parc de l’armée de l’Air et de l’Espace.
----------------------------------------//----------------------------------

On April 25, 2022, the Directorate General for Armaments (DGA) notified Thales of the order for 21 additional Talios pods, thus bringing the target of the “New generation laser designation pod” inventory to 67 ( PDL NG). This order, worth one hundred million euros, includes additional initial support resources. It is part of the use of extrabudgetary resources generated by the transfer to Croatia, at the end of 2021, of Rafale aircraft from the Air and Space Force fleet.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
Rafale outputs for 2022 were said to be impacted by recurring strikes running among Dassault's personels but their impact were difficult to gauge. Here comes a little bit more of information with a said 4 fold reduction (strike should be over by now):

La production de Rafale a été divisée par quatre
Un conflit qui a eu des conséquences sur la production. « On sortait deux Rafale par mois, là en quatre mois on en a sorti deux. La production a été divisée par quatre. »

Selon le syndicaliste, « c’est la seule et unique raison » de l’obtention de cette hausse salariale. « Ils voulaient absolument que la production reprenne ».
------------------------------------//-----------------------------------

Rafale production divided by four
A [social] conflict that had some consequences on production. “We use to deliver two Rafales per month, now in four months we have released only two. Production has been divided by four. »

According to the trade unionist, "this is the one and only reason" for obtaining this salary increase. "They absolutely wanted production to resume."

Dassault Aviation delivered 25 Rafale fighters to export customers in 2021, compared to 13 in 2020 (Source AvWeek). So we are probably going to be back on that 2020 number, factoring-in mitigation measures unveiled earlier (see one of my earlier post). Let's hope that no AdlAE Rafale would be used to complete the foreign customer backlogs that time.

Last edited: