I don't have either of these two books, but they are visibly different :

-L'aventure Amiot - CMN, Des hommes, le ciel et la mer, Author Fréderic Patard, Des Champs publishing, 1998

-Félix Amiot, Parcours d'un industriel normand du XXème siècle, Author Justin Lecarpentier, OREP publishing, 2020

Regarding the "aviation" part (The first two paragraphs, with Google Trad)

The only book so far devoted to this atypical French manufacturer was L’aventure Amiot-CMN by Frédéric Patard, published over twenty years ago and now almost impossible to find. This book by Justin Lecarpentier is based on a history thesis, revised to be more readable by the general public. Typically, the references at the bottom of the page instead of the references at the end of the chapter or of the book, are appreciable for readability. It covers both the career of an aircraft manufacturer and the period that followed in the field of shipbuilding. We will only dwell on the first part, which is about half of the book.
The richness of this work certainly does not lie in its illustrations, which are few in number, and suffer from the quality of the paper which forces the contrasts to be exaggerated and makes the result grainy. On the other hand, the subject focuses on Félix Amiot and his company. The history of his planes appears in this book only to illustrate the point and does not form the basis of the book. A small exception with the interesting details presented by the author regarding the very latest aircraft project, the superb Amiot 530 civilian transport.

The text not only presents the story of Félix Amiot; it also highlights the investigative work carried out by the author. The common thread is based on company archives, consulted in regional archive centers in the Cherbourg region, supplemented by administrative documents and various testimonies provided by the descendants of the Amiot family and those around them.
The study is constructed in a systematic way, starting with the family genealogical tree, then follows the account of the educational journey of young Félix Amiot, highlighting his encounters and friendships that will subsequently support his career. We then move on to the start of its industrial activity, with the creation of the SECM during the First World War, thanks to its patents on stamping and despite its lack of suitable diplomas. After subcontracting, Amiot finally started in aviation, in an unfavorable context, before becoming a major aircraft manufacturer. The author details the opportunities, industrial arrangements, acquisitions, supports, changes, social aspects. Above all, it highlights the tensions with the Air Ministry, the catastrophic impact of nationalizations on the company and the consequences on production. The author quotes excerpts from relevant documents, placing them precisely in context which he skillfully illuminates through his informed study of the context. It details in particular the standoff between Félix Amiot and Pierre Cot, on the subject of nationalizations, then that of the production of Amiot family 350.

Last edited:

Attachments

• 20220413_Amiot-402.jpg
    20220413_Amiot-402.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 85

Hi guys, some pics of my Amiot 150 M (or BE)

Attachments

• 1 [].jpg
    1 [].jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Amiot 150 2 [].jpg
    Amiot 150 2 [].jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 3 [].jpg
    3 [].jpg
    62 KB · Views: 29
  • 4 [].jpg
    4 [].jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 5 [].jpg
    5 [].jpg
    60 KB · Views: 31
  • 6 [].jpg
    6 [].jpg
    58 KB · Views: 30
  • 7 [].jpg
    7 [].jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 8 [].jpg
    8 [].jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 9 [].jpg
    9 [].jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 10 [].jpg
    10 [].jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 53
And some pics of my Amiot 170

Attachments

• 1 [].jpg
    1 [].jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 2 [].jpg
    2 [].jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 3 [].jpg
    3 [].jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 4 [].jpg
    4 [].jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 5 [].jpg
    5 [].jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 6 [].jpg
    6 [].jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 7 [].jpg
    7 [].jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 8 [].jpg
    8 [].jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 9 [].jpg
    9 [].jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 10 [].jpg
    10 [].jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 56
1940 looks like a bad ripoff of 1870, Sedan disaster included.

Somewhat remarquably on a plateau north of the city... in 1870 one Colonial infantry unit led by General Margueritte made an heroic charge against the invading Prussians - for nothing, and they were wiped out.

Fast forward to 1940, exact same place: a handful of Amiot 143 led by De Laubier charged the panzers from the air only to be slaughtered by the Flak and Me-110s. De Laubier bomber caught fire and he was killed, and the aircraft fell pretty close from the memorial to Margueritte heroic cavalry charge, 70 years earlier to the day.

Rock and a hard place...

Last edited:
I do not know if Félix Amiot would be satisfied with my job but I propose it anyway. From the elements provided I deduced this view from above (I would do the others later). The fuselage is inspired by the factory plan and I hope there are not too many errors of proportion, while I evaluated with my nose the shape of the engine fairings to contain the Renault 24 H ... Moreover seen the power of 3000 hp I enlarged the diameter of the propellers which seem to me a little rikiki on the plans of time ... I await your criticism, including the most acerbic !

Attachments

• AMIOT 530 DJ DESSUS COMPLET.jpg
    AMIOT 530 DJ DESSUS COMPLET.jpg
    487.7 KB · Views: 45
I submit to the amateurs the left view of the fuselage that I built from the elements of this forum and the 1/2 top view rectified in red at the wing. Indeed I realized the inconsistency of the drawing 3 artist views with the values of span and surface that allow to calculate the average value of the chord. After evaluation of the root chord I deduced the end chord, inspired by the sweep of the wing of the Amiot 370 ...

20230922-AMIOT 530 DJ FUSO VUE G.jpg 20230922-AMIOT 530 DJ DESSUS RECTIFIE.jpg

I submit to the amateurs the left view of the fuselage that I built from the elements of this forum and the 1/2 top view rectified in red at the wing. Indeed I realized the inconsistency of the drawing 3 artist views with the values of span and surface that allow to calculate the average value of the chord. After evaluation of the root chord I deduced the end chord, inspired by the sweep of the wing of the Amiot 370 ...

View attachment 708377
Note the contour analogy of the flying party with the Superfortress! There is no doubt that this is a phenomenon of convergent evolution due to the application of design rules to the constraints of cabin pressurization ...

I give you here my last and definitive hypotheses concerning the configuration seen from above of this very beautiful "paper plane" that was the Amiot 530 ... This is the result of a mixture of data from the wing shape of the Amiot 370 for trailing and leading edge angles and the wingspan and wing surface values given for this project, and of course from the factory plots published above. I took the liberty of increasing the outside engine centres compatible with propellers of 4 m (about 13') in diameter, which seems more realistic and a minimum to pass high powers (3000 hp) even with counter-rotating propellers ...

20231023-AMIOT 530 DJ DESSUS RECTIFIE 2.jpg

^, agreed. The attention to detail you demonstrate through your projects, is wow, amazing. Always nice to see these.

View attachment 708377View attachment 708378
How did it happen that 100 millimeters is 9 meters?