Exactly, the Blue Fox antenna diameter was about 4 inches smaller across than the Harrier II Plus' AN/APG-65.
APG-65 antenna diameter: AV-8B+ = 22.8" vs F/A-18A/B = 26.625"
Source: The Naval Institute Guide to World Naval Weapons Systems, 1997-1998

Blue Fox Antenna Diameter = 20 in

Blue Vixen Antenna Diameter - ??

Found on @PaleoAero Twitter , no source given. Ferry tips provided a 9% L/D improvement.

And for reference, an actual ferry tip that was for sale online.
"DANGER POWER CONTROL AND JET BLAST".

Attachments

• Harrier_Ferry_Tips.jpeg
    Harrier_Ferry_Tips.jpeg
    40.1 KB · Views: 46
  • Harrier_ferry_tip.png
    Harrier_ferry_tip.png
    226.2 KB · Views: 45
  • Harrier_ferry_tip_under.png
    Harrier_ferry_tip_under.png
    169.6 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
I've discovered in Air Enthusiast of May 1972 that the Harrier T.52 G-VTOL could be modified with extended "big-wing" tips of 27 inch for ferry flights.
View attachment 722503
All first Gen harriers could use them, but they weren't used very often - as they weren't suitable for combat use, you had to replace them, so you needed sets of normal wing tips to follow. They were used on T birds going to Malta etc in the 70s on occasion.

HS developed a carbon fibre version that had an integral fuel tank

Not an advanced Harrier as such, but I hadn't previously seen GR.1 XV277 with the Blue Fox radome shape for testing.
I'm not sure it was representative of Blue Fox, more a shape to show the Harrier could carry a radome at the time they were trying to sell the Sea harrier (like carrying and firing the AR Martel). It was shaped like a miniature Blue Parrot one.

All first Gen harriers could use them, but they weren't used very often - as they weren't suitable for combat use, you had to replace them, so you needed sets of normal wing tips to follow. They were used on T birds going to Malta etc in the 70s on occasion.

HS developed a carbon fibre version that had an integral fuel tank
Do you have some more photos of Harrier fitted whith that ?

Not exactly sure how relevant this might be (although it does involve a mention of an advanced Harrier project of some kind):
I was re-reading a fan-scanlated version of the Area 88 Manga (specifically the Viz Comics run), I came across a fan-submitted letter (right side of page, in bold) which makes mention of a supersonic Harrier being developed/worked on by both McDonnell Douglas and British Aerospace.
Of all the places to find something so niche mentioned...

1714400784723.png

Not exactly sure how relevant this might be (although it does involve a mention of an advanced Harrier project of some kind):
I was re-reading a fan-scanlated version of the Area 88 Manga (specifically the Viz Comics run), I came across a fan-submitted letter (right side of page, in bold) which makes mention of a supersonic Harrier being developed/worked on by both McDonnell Douglas and British Aerospace.
Of all the places to find something so niche mentioned...

View attachment 727337
Area 88 is very much an airplane-nerd's manga...

Did the name 'Rob Rowe' crop up for any of these 'Super Harrier' designs ??

He's the guy I met who deprecated 'Plenum Chamber Burning' for supersonic, but declined --OSA+NDA-- to describe his team's solution...