Register here

Author Topic: Little-Known French Projects and Prototypes  (Read 100375 times)

Offline hesham

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret

Offline Arjen

• It's turtles all the way down
Re: Little-Known French Projects and Prototypes
« Reply #226 on: November 24, 2016, 07:45:31 am »
I fed the text to Google translate, then did a little re-arranging:

It could be said a monster or at least the model of a crazy inventor of a few centuries ago. Instead we received this photograph these days - May 1932 - from America with this precise caption:

"Viewed from the front a mysterious airship: New airship under construction by Mr. Frank Bolger president of Associated Aviation Inc. Clubs of America. The strange device is entirely metal and has two propellers, one in front, one at the rear. When ready it will begin a US tour by visiting more than one thousand locations and major airports."

While we're at it, we would just be very pleased to see this kind of photographed airplane-automobile-blimp take off or land in one of those major airports mentioned above and perhaps - why not? - to come and pay us a little visit in Europe.

Offline hesham

« Reply #227 on: November 24, 2016, 07:51:29 am »
Thank you my dear Arjen,

and that means,he was not Monsieur de Richmond,as Flying Magazine said.

Offline avion ancien

• CLEARANCE: Secret
  • The accidental peasant!
« Reply #228 on: November 24, 2016, 07:53:48 am »
That's what I like to see, Arjen. GoogleTranslate + human intelligence = comprehendable translation (rather than the usual gibberish that GoogleTranslate produces when fed a substantial chunk of text).

Offline hesham

Offline cluttonfred

• Eric Clutton's classic homebuilt FRED and more!
« Reply #230 on: December 11, 2016, 09:28:49 pm »
Here is a Moineau biplane drawing.

http://www.avia-it.com/act/biblioteca/periodici/PDF%20Riviste/Ala%20d'Italia/L'ALA%20D'ITALIA%201935%20012.pdf

This could be a product of Avions René Moineau (former Bréguet designer-pilot known for the unsuccessful if interesting WWI remote-engine Salmon-Moineau S.M. 1) but then again "moineau" means "sparrow" so it could just be a model nickname.
Matthew Long, Editor
cluttonfred.info
A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

Offline avion ancien

« Reply #231 on: December 12, 2016, 02:51:39 am »
The Moineau biplane was designed and built by MM Bessard & Millevoye at Saint-Ouen in 1935. The drawing above, together with a detailed review of this aeroplane, can be found in Les Ailes of 15 August 1935. The name 'Le Moineau' appears on its fuselage in the accompanying photograph.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 02:53:13 am by avion ancien »

Offline cluttonfred

• Eric Clutton's classic homebuilt FRED and more!
« Reply #232 on: December 12, 2016, 06:20:05 am »
The Moineau biplane was designed and built by MM Bessard & Millevoye at Saint-Ouen in 1935. The drawing above, together with a detailed review of this aeroplane, can be found in Les Ailes of 15 August 1935. The name 'Le Moineau' appears on its fuselage in the accompanying photograph.

Merci!  And here is the article thanks to the French national library online....

Source:  http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k6553894j/f3.item
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 06:21:39 am by cluttonfred »
Matthew Long, Editor
cluttonfred.info
A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

Offline hesham

Re: Little-known French projects and prototypes
« Reply #233 on: December 21, 2016, 08:04:07 am »
Thank you my dear Toura,

and here is the Jarrion two seat light aircraft,intended to light aircraft contest
of 1936,remained a project only.

http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k6560504f/f9.image

A clearer view;

http://www.avia-it.com/act/biblioteca/periodici/PDF%20Riviste/Ala%20d'Italia/L'ALA%20D'ITALIA%201937%2008.pdf

Offline hesham

« Reply #234 on: December 26, 2016, 07:45:00 am »
Hi,

the ANF-Mureaux had un-numbered Project of 1935,for twin engined airplane
with retractable landing gear.

Offline sienar

« Reply #235 on: December 31, 2016, 02:51:01 am »
By way of Luftwaffe-Research-Group, a photo with a few odd types

The center aircraft is the Weymann 230/231 discussed elsewhere on this forum. But the aircraft on the left and the right of the Weymann are stumping people.

Original ebay auction - http://www.ebay.de/itm/Foto-Frankreich-Beute-Flugzeuge-franzosische-Luftwaffe-und-deutsche-Maschinen-/361862694939?hash=item5440b2881b:g:U0EAAOSwux5YYCF1

Offline avion ancien

« Reply #236 on: December 31, 2016, 09:08:53 am »
I suppose it's a stupid question to ask whether there is any indication of where the photograph was taken.

Offline sienar

« Reply #237 on: December 31, 2016, 12:59:04 pm »
Probably Toussus-le-Noble but not certain

Offline avion ancien

« Reply #238 on: January 01, 2017, 02:36:08 am »
If so - how things have changed! However if it is, it seems that the Weymann CTW-231 and the other two aeroplanes have been shoved off into some quiet, shady corner of the aerodrome - because the other known photograph of CTW-231 shows it at the entrance to one of the hangars. That photograph (q.v. http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?99333-Unknown-French-type-captured-by-the-Germans) originated  from Avions Hors Serie Nº 24 'La Debacle de Mai-Juin 1940 - ce que trouverent les Allemands en traversant la France' in which it is described as having been captured by the Germans at Toussus-le-Noble along with other aircraft in various states of condition. I do not have a copy of that magazine. But maybe if someone else does, it would be worth taking a look at that to see if there are any other photographs taken at Toussus-le-Noble at the same time and whether these might assist in identifying the aeroplanes to the left and right of the CTW-231 in the photograph posted above. 
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 02:58:47 am by avion ancien »

Offline avion ancien

« Reply #239 on: January 01, 2017, 03:05:43 am »
On the subject of unidentified French aeroplanes, that depicted below (I apologise for the diminutive size of the image but it was the best I could capture) appeared, a couple of years ago, on le Bon Coin (a French online advertising site) where it was being offered for sale at only a few hundred Euros. It appears to be a Mignet formule design but not one which I recognise. Sadly before I could make enquiries of the seller, the advertisement had been taken down. Can anyone out there identify it?

P.s. I should add that when it was being advertised for sale on le Bon Coin, there was a hyperlink to a video (on, I think, youtube), which showed this aeroplane being taxied frantically around a field, but my attempts subsequently to find this have been entirely unsuccessful.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 03:50:01 am by avion ancien »