Vickers Type-C heavy bomber

Archibald

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Ok, I know that this plane figure in cover (and in detail!) in Tony buttler book, but I haven't got this book and need some details on this monster. Just performances, weight dimensions and a 3-view drawing would be cool.
In what context was this project developed ? Did the RAF seriously bite the idea at one time ?
:-\ :'(

Archibald,

From Mr Buttler's book:

Scheme C data:

Span: 64 m
Lenght: 29 m
Wing Area: 270 m2
Max Weight: 80 741 Kg
Engine: 6xCentaurus
Max Speed/Height: 382 mph (615 km/h) / 25 000 ft (7620 m)
Armament: 25 400 kg bombs, 5x20 mm + 2x0.5 in guns

Very Large Bomber Studies started to be seriously considered at the Air Staff from August 1942. On September 1942 there was a meeting with the leading designers from the industry.
The concept became known as the "75 Ton Bomber" and by December 1942 it was expected to replace the Lancaster and all of the RAF heavy bombers, and possibly to form the basis of the UK's post-WWII civil aircraft.
Type C was sketched in 6 turbojet configuration and suffered a design revision in 1943 because in its original form was considered unsatisfactory (unstable, inadequate armament and range).
The 75 Ton Bomber was the one of the most ambitious design effort ever attempted by the British aircraft industry, but it became clear as study progressed that such an aircraft could not enter in less than five years. It would also be difficult for the type to achieve the proper balance between range, defensive armament and bomb load. On the other hand, the success of the Avro Lancaster removed the need for such large bombers.

Well I think this is enough to consider the purchase of this book... ;)

Thanks Tony for those superb books! ::)

Archibald said:
Ok, I know that this plane figure in cover (and in detail!) in Tony buttler book, but I haven't got this book and need some details on this monster. Just performances, weight dimensions and a 3-view drawing would be cool.
In what context was this project developed ? Did the RAF seriously bite the idea at one time ?

Hi Archibald!

I hope this gets through. Here are two three-view illustrations of two British Very Large Bomber designs.

Source:

Vickers Aircraft Since 1908
Authors: C.F. Andrews and E.B. Morgan
p. 563
Publishers: Putnam Aeronautical Books

Attachments

• British Bombers.JPG
    British Bombers.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 1,337
ChuckAnderson said:
Archibald said:

I'll try to enlarge these illustrations!

Chuck

Hi Archibald!

I hope this gets through. Here are two three-view illustrations of two British Very Large Bomber designs.

Source:

Vickers Aircraft Since 1908
Authors: C.F. Andrews and E.B. Morgan
p. 563
Publishers: Putnam Aeronautical Books

Chuck,

Your drawings show Revised Vickers Scheme "C" (1943) above and Vickers High-Altitude Bomber at 1.42 below.

The Vickers "HAB" was before the "75 Ton Bomb" Program and not corresponds to it.

(I see that you still haven't found the "crop tool" in your scanners soft ;))

Thank you very much guys! So it was really a serious project :)
And a turbojet variant was planned!!!!! Is there any pic of it in the book ?

Considering that the Lancasters and Halifax were equivalent to the B-17 and B-24, I always asked if there had been a british equivalent of the B-29... now I have the answer :)

In the book follow-on (I mean, the one on Jet bombers) there's a plan of the Armstrong withworth AW-50 flying wing. It date back from december 1942 but it was jet-powered. Was it a competitor to the Vickers type C project (or at least the jet-powered variant of 1943 ???)

And there's also a more conventional vickers jet-bomber (four RR stacked in the fuselage) from march 1945. Short SA-6 (Sperrin gradfather) also date back from 1945 (six engines in the wing roots, B-29 like cockpit)

pometablava said:
(I see that you still haven't found the "crop tool" in your scanners soft ;))

The "obvious" answer is to run the scan through a graphics program that lets you do the cropping; then post the result.

british equivalent of the B-29..
Well it was even heavier because B-29 TOW was about 60 Ton

75 Ton Bomber Contenders

Avro: 75 Ton design and 100 Ton design
Bristol: 100 Ton design and 75 Ton design
Handley Page: "Conventional", "All-Wing Piston" and "All-Wing Jet"
Vickers: Schemes A, B, C, D and E
Shorts: Centaurus powered design, Sabre powered design and Orion powered design

The Short SA.6 it is a more modern design with some German design input and I can't find the AW.50 in the index of the book :-[.
According to the text it seems that there is no relation between this "All-Wing Jet" and Post WWII projects but I can't be sure about it.

- Ref. to 'Armstrong Whitworth Aircraft Since 1913, there is no
mention of the 1942 very heavy bomber competition in
relation to the AW.50 all wing bomber project.

- of the Vickers type 'C' there was a variant with endplates
and rudders on the wing tips instead of a central fin and rudder.

- A civil variant of the 'C' concept for 40 passengers was proposed by
Vickers.It should have been powered by six Halford engines in a
cluster placed in the aft fuselage.

Ref: Air Pictorial March 1973.'Vickers Foreplane Projects'-Eric B.Morgan

The "obvious" answer is to run the scan through a graphics program that lets you do the cropping; then post the result.

This is another solution to the problem, Chuck. Do you have Microsoft Windows on your computer? Then try Google Picasa. It works fine and it's free!

Cheers
Antonio

Hope this isn't old news, but there are some very good CGI-renderings (including a three-view) of the Vickers Type 'C' at:
http://www.xplanes3d.com/index.html
See specifically the link at:
http://www.xplanes3d.com/Projects%20Pages/Vickers_C/Vickers_C_Thumbs.html
The site includes an animation giving a virtual "walk" round a parked Type 'C'.
Cheers,

'Wingknut'

I also think that the 3views of type C bomber in greyfalcon.us is another version because it have the wingtip rudders when the another one with vertical fin.

Attachments

• ae68.jpg
    ae68.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 457
  • ae69.jpg
    ae69.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 406
  • Vickers_C_Scene_1.jpg
    Vickers_C_Scene_1.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 419

Attachments

• gddllomdv.jpg