hesham said:
My dear Dan,

in my files,probably the Arado 16/43-21 was a night fighter Project ,need confirm ?.

TEW 16/43-21 is a drawing number, not a project. I don't have that drawing, so I don't know what it depicts. If you have a copy of TEW 16/43-21, please post it so I can see what it shows. Otherwise, what is your source which suggests that TEW 16/43-21 shows a night fighter?

My dear Dan,

unfortunately I don't remember the source,maybe a book or magazine,there was also
a strange design,Arado 16/53 ?!,but I don't what was it.

From Aerei Nella Storia 6-7/2009.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    242 KB · Views: 454
  • 2.png
    2.png
    369.7 KB · Views: 342
  • 3.png
    3.png
    281 KB · Views: 330
  • 4.png
    4.png
    354.4 KB · Views: 386
From Flugzeug Extra.

Attachments

• 240.png
    240.png
    183.2 KB · Views: 296
  • A-1.png
    A-1.png
    292.7 KB · Views: 294
  • A-2.png
    A-2.png
    216.6 KB · Views: 306
A strange Info in my files,

but I don't know the source,the Arado Ar Projekt I,it was appeared early in a swept wing shape,
then was developed into tailless configuration,was that right ?.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 229
From, Secret Nazi Aircraft 1939 -1945 Luftwaffe's Advanced Aircraft Projects,

the Arado E.340 Versions ?.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    122.4 KB · Views: 256
From, Secret Nazi Aircraft 1939 -1945 Luftwaffe's Advanced Aircraft Projects,

the Arado E.340 Versions ?.

Except for the first line, none of this is about the Arado E 340. It was an entry for Bomber B and as such was meant to be powered by either Jumo 222s or DB 604s (one drawing mentions the DB 606). The Bomber B designs only existed because of those engines. The competitors for the requirement (Ju 288, E 340, Fw 191, Do 317) had to have them or there was no point in building them. Hence why Bomber B failed. When those engines were suffering severe delays circa December 1940, the spec was changed to include the BMW 802, DB 603 and Jumo 223 as options - but this was the point at which the E 340 (now Ar 340) was cancelled.
Over the next couple of years, the two leading contenders Focke-Wulf and Junkers were eventually forced to specify the DB 606 or 610 or even the BMW 801 but the whole programme was ultimately cancelled because without those next-generation engines it was pointless.
And every known configuration of the E 340 had a crew of three except the last one which appears to have had four. I don't know what the rest of that description is referring to, but it's not the Arado E 340.

From Flugzeug Classic 2009/6.

Attachments

• A.png
    A.png
    501.1 KB · Views: 236
From Flugzeug Classic 2009/6.

Was the Ar 440 a variant of the Ar 240 C? Sort of. Contrary to what you might have read elsewhere, it would appear that the main difference between the Ar 240 A, B, C and D was the engine each was fitted with. All of them were multirole - so any given Ar 240 could be used as a fighter, a bomber or for reconnaissance.
The Ar 240 A and B were designed for the DB 601 E and DB 605 respectively. Each had a wingspan of 14.3m but while the Ar 240 A was 12.8m long, the Ar 240 B was 12.98m long.
The Ar 240 C and D were designed for the DB 603 and DB 614 respectively. Each of these had a wingspan of 16.6m and while the Ar 240 C was 13.45m long, the Ar 240 D was only 13.27m long.
These stats come from a pair of Arado description reports, one outlining the A and B, the other the C and D. Both reports are dated November 6, 1941.
The Ar 440 was intended to have DB 603 G engines initially, with the DB 627 being installed later. It had a 16.6m wingspan like the Ar 240 C and D but it was 14.39m long, making it the longest known variant of the 240 family. It also had a redesigned cockpit and, I think, a redesigned periscope system.
Given that its wings were the same as those of the C (and D) and that it had the same engine as the 'C', you could argue that it was a less a 'variant' of the Ar 240 C than a development of it. The Ar 440 description report I have is from October 13, 1942 - so just over 11 months later than the reports detailing the A, B, C and D.
Incidentally, unlike all the other designs, the Ar 240 E was a dedicated bomber based on the Ar 240 C, including DB 603 G engines. Its main distinguishing features were a wingspan of 19m(!) and a tail span of 6m - about 20cm (I think) wider than that of the Ar 240 C. The Ar 240 E description report is dated March 19, 1942.

Last edited:
What was this Arado Ar.239 ?

Andreas Parsch lists the Ar 239 as a proposed high-altitude bomber (elsewhere seen as a Höhenbomberprojekt).

No idea what it was to look like. In fiction, the cover art for John Baxter's The Alternate Luftwaffe 3 features an Arado E.555 pusher derivative as an 'Ar 239'.

BTW, there was also a Fw 239 but that was an unauthorized an internal Focke-Wulf designation (not RLM-assigned).

Last edited:
Yes,that's right as I think dear Apophenia,

and maybe it was E.239 ?.

There is no known contemporary evidence for an Ar 239 or an E 239. There was no Fw 239 either, not even within the company. Focke-Wulf was not in the habit of awarding itself spurious RLM designations. It would appear that 8-239 was an unused number.

From, Jet Planes of the Third Reich - The Secret Projects-volume two,

there was anther six engined bomber Project,designed by Arado rather
than E.555-1 ?.

From, Jet Planes of the Third Reich - The Secret Projects-volume two,

there was anther six engined bomber Project,designed by Arado rather
than E.555-1 ?.

Yes. There is a very small drawing of it on p72 of my Luftwaffe: Secret Bombers of the Third Reich bookazine. I'll include the same drawing at full page size in my forthcoming bombers book because it's an interesting design.

Yes I saw it,thank you my dear Dan,

and a strange Info was about Arado proposal to competing Ju-287 ?,and
developed from Arado Nacht Jager I.

Jet Planes of the Third Reich - The Secret Projects-volume two

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    169.8 KB · Views: 177
Yes I saw it,thank you my dear Dan,

and a strange Info was about Arado proposal to competing Ju-287 ?,and
developed from Arado Nacht Jager I.

Jet Planes of the Third Reich - The Secret Projects-volume two

A number of points to make about this.
1. If it only had two engines and a single 1000kg bomb it wasn't going to be a competitor for the Ju 287. Besides which, the tailless Arado Nachtjaeger Projekt 1 wasn't designed until March 14 - after the Langstreckenbomber competition had already concluded with the Ju 287 as the winner.
2. The tailless Arado Nachtjaeger Projekt 1 was designed to carry two SC 500 bombs if necessary (the conventional fuselage Nachtjaeger Projekt 2 would apparently have been able to carry three). So why bother to design another version that could carry essentially only the same bomb load and call it a Schnellbomber?
3. You very seldom see 'HeS 011 A-1' specified as a power plant in period documents. It was generally written as 'HeS 011' (or HeS11, or He 11, or any number of similar permutations - but without any 'A-1' appended). Presumably the reason for not including the precise variant was because it hadn't yet been determined which one would become the accepted production model. So when you see 'HeS 011 A-1' the alarm bells tend to start ringing.
4. As mentioned, the two Arado twin-jet night fighter projects submitted for the 2-TL-Jaeger competition (or whatever you prefer to call it) weren't designed until March 14 (tailless - Entwurf 6 in the design sequence) and March 17, 1945 (conventional fuselage - Entwurf 9 in the sequence). The comparison meeting at which they were discussed was on March 20-24 - ending just two weeks before the British captured Bad Eilsen where the meeting had taken place. How much time was there for Arado's designers to come up with a dedicated 'Schnellbomber version'? And why would they bother since there was no requirement for it?
It's not impossible that a note or drawing exists somewhere which references an Arado flying wing fast bomber dating from between March 14 and the end of the war but I find it unlikely. If a drawing did exist, why didn't Griehl include it?

Hi,

the Arado Ar.240E was a bomber Project version,developed from Type-C,if someone
has a drawing to it ?.

the Arado Ar.240E was a bomber Project version,developed from Type-C,if someone
has a drawing to it ?.

From, Secret Luftwaffe Projects of the Nazi Era From Arado to Zeppelin with Contemporary Drawings

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    78.8 KB · Views: 131
From, Secret Luftwaffe Projects of the Nazi Era From Arado to Zeppelin with Contemporary Drawings

The Arado Ar.340 & E.340.

Same source.

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    107.6 KB · Views: 116
  • 3.png
    3.png
    68.1 KB · Views: 130
From my file,with now source up to now,

Arado Zerstorer was a twin engined attack jet aircraft Project of 1943,powered by two Jumo 012
jets,mounted at the front of the fuselage,has anyone hear about it ?,it was little known design.

May this design was related to Arado E.500 ?.

From, Third Reich Secret Air Force Materiel.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    198.9 KB · Views: 45
  • 2.png
    2.png
    194.1 KB · Views: 49