• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Sänger antipodal bomber

antigravite

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
blackstar said:
antigravite said:
Yes, thank you. Very good find. I had very close connections to Sänger's son, Hartmut (who passed away in december 2015). We shared a lot but we never discussed this early article. Although I had privileged access to all archives for a research project. Thank you again.
A.
About eight years ago I met Hartmut. German TV was doing a special about spaceflight and for some reason Hartmut suggested that they interview me. So for reasons that make no sense to me they flew me over to Germany and I appeared on German TV. Hartmut then gave me a watch that I still wear today. What I did not realize at the time was that it was a very good watch. So Hartmut's a cool guy in my book. I was sorry to hear of his passing.
He offered me a watch too!!! (And his iPad, as he didn't like Apple products…) I'll DM you!!!
A.

blackstar

Reaction score
I did not have a watch, so I accepted the gift and started wearing it. I like it. A few years ago I was at an electronic music concert and I was buying a CD from a musician (Robert Rich, if you want to know). He noticed my watch and asked to look at it. I said that it was a gift and he said "It must be from a very good friend." I asked him why. Then he told me that the watch was probably worth $800.

I guess Hartmut liked watches.

I occasionally show people my watch and tell them that it was given to me by the son of the guy who wanted to build a spaceplane to nuke New York City.

LazloF

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
blackstar said:
I did not have a watch, so I accepted the gift and started wearing it. I like it. A few years ago I was at an electronic music concert and I was buying a CD from a musician (Robert Rich, if you want to know). He noticed my watch and asked to look at it. I said that it was a gift and he said "It must be from a very good friend." I asked him why. Then he told me that the watch was probably worth $800.

I guess Hartmut liked watches.

I occasionally show people my watch and tell them that it was given to me by the son of the guy who wanted to build a spaceplane to nuke New York City.
You are a very lucky person Blackstar! I wish I had met Hartmand. btw I have the excellent book on the Antipodal bomber: Sanger - Germany's Orbital Bomber in World War II and I frequently write about the subject. This book has been a wealth of information about the subject and Eugen Sanger's later life. Does anybody know if he went to Brazil after the war?

I heard a rumour about this. But I think this may be confused with Kurt Tank, who worked for Peron in Argentina before joining Sanger to work in Egypt under Nasser on the Ha 300/400(?)

Also, does anybody know if this reputed GI photo of a Silverbird mockup is genuine and is there a better version anywhere?

athpilot

Fly me to the moon...
Reaction score
This is not related to the Silver Bird. It´s the "Pfeil" designed by Mario Zippermayr in Lofer (the place is mentioned in the underline of the photograph). We have al full topic on it, including, more informations, better photos and cool artwork:
https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,16995.0.html

LazloF

Reaction score
athpilot said:
This is not related to the Silver Bird. It´s the "Pfeil" designed by Mario Zippermayr in Lofer (the place is mentioned in the underline of the photograph). We have al full topic on it, including, more informations, better photos and cool artwork:
https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,16995.0.html
Thanks very much athpilot

LazloF

Reaction score
It's good to have knowledge here. I posted this on my book's Facebook page so I am being innacurate. Now I will be able to update it!

sgeorges4

Reaction score
repport found: http://www.astronautix.com/data/saenger.pdf

hesham

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
From Oltre il Cielo 1958-1

Attachments

edwest

Reaction score
Eugen Sänger was selected to be part of ESTEA, or the Employment of Scientific and Technical Enemy Aliens in which selected scientists were sent to live and work in Australia. This was handled through the British who knew they needed the space offered in Australia for projects and the relative security. He did not stay on. The Americans were aware of his work, as was Stalin, who tried to find him without success. One source states approximately 145 personnel were brought over, another states over 200. The project ran from 1949 to 1952, another source states till 1954. This fits in well with the testing of the first atomic bomb by Russia in 1949, followed by the Korean War starting in 1950. The Australians were primarily interested in German atomic/nuclear knowledge.

After being boosted along a monorail track, the takeoff weight of the Sänger bomber was 100 tons, with 90 tons being fuel. The aiming point was an intersection in New York City. Of course, speed, altitude and other calculations regarding when to release the single bomb were made. A document was found showing a destruction area of 4 kilometers. The Germans had high-temperature metals unknown in the US.

edwest

Reaction score
Where are you getting your facts? BIOS Report 272: Some Aspects of German Work on High Temperature Materials.

BIOS Report 319: Production of Beryllium "Degussa"

Nigelhg

CLEARANCE: Restricted
Reaction score
The Germans had high-temperature metals unknown in the US.
No, they don't. In fact, German metallurgy was rather primitive. They never managed to make reliable gas turbine, for example - not only due to lack of resources, but also due to lack of technical knowledge.
I believe the main issue was lack of access to chromium and minerals in general due to a blockade- I believe at the time Turkey was the more or less the only supplier of it.

antigravite

Reaction score
Eugen Sänger was selected to be part of ESTEA, or the Employment of Scientific and Technical Enemy Aliens in which selected scientists were sent to live and work in Australia.
Hi. I’m very curious to know the exact source of this very precise and surprising information for me. Never heard of any link between Sänger an any Australian brain drain effort. Which sources are you using? I never connected him to operation Surgeon for instance as he was recruited by France prior getting back to germany in 1954.
A

edwest

Reaction score
BIOS Report 1179: A Survey of German Research and Development Work on Titanium

Dilandu

I'm dissatisfied, which means, I exist.
Reaction score
Website
fonzeppelin.livejournal.com
I believe the main issue was lack of access to chromium and minerals in general due to a blockade- I believe at the time Turkey was the more or less the only supplier of it.
No, technology was the problem also. The topmost metallurgists of the 1940s were British; even US needed British experience with heat-resistant alloys to produce their first jet turbines.

antigravite

Reaction score

edwest

Reaction score
You're welcome. When I first heard of ESTEA, I did not know how everything fit together.