This is not related to the Silver Bird. It´s the "Pfeil" designed by Mario Zippermayr in Lofer (the place is mentioned in the underline of the photograph). We have al full topic on it, including, more informations, better photos and cool artwork:
https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,16995.0.html

athpilot said:
This is not related to the Silver Bird. It´s the "Pfeil" designed by Mario Zippermayr in Lofer (the place is mentioned in the underline of the photograph). We have al full topic on it, including, more informations, better photos and cool artwork:
https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,16995.0.html

Thanks very much athpilot

It's good to have knowledge here. I posted this on my book's Facebook page so I am being innacurate. Now I will be able to update it!

Hi

just found in my archives an old reference to a 1953 thesis heavily influenced by Sänger's works with lots of insights by H.S.Tsien (acknowldeged as such in the preface).

A.

Attachments

• Beyer_David-thesis-1953-page_39.png
    Beyer_David-thesis-1953-page_39.png
    141.6 KB · Views: 161
  • Beyer_David-thesis-1953.png
    Beyer_David-thesis-1953.png
    117.1 KB · Views: 151
Eugen Sänger was selected to be part of ESTEA, or the Employment of Scientific and Technical Enemy Aliens in which selected scientists were sent to live and work in Australia. This was handled through the British who knew they needed the space offered in Australia for projects and the relative security. He did not stay on. The Americans were aware of his work, as was Stalin, who tried to find him without success. One source states approximately 145 personnel were brought over, another states over 200. The project ran from 1949 to 1952, another source states till 1954. This fits in well with the testing of the first atomic bomb by Russia in 1949, followed by the Korean War starting in 1950. The Australians were primarily interested in German atomic/nuclear knowledge.

After being boosted along a monorail track, the takeoff weight of the Sänger bomber was 100 tons, with 90 tons being fuel. The aiming point was an intersection in New York City. Of course, speed, altitude and other calculations regarding when to release the single bomb were made. A document was found showing a destruction area of 4 kilometers. The Germans had high-temperature metals unknown in the US.

Where are you getting your facts? BIOS Report 272: Some Aspects of German Work on High Temperature Materials.

BIOS Report 319: Production of Beryllium "Degussa"

The Germans had high-temperature metals unknown in the US.

No, they don't. In fact, German metallurgy was rather primitive. They never managed to make reliable gas turbine, for example - not only due to lack of resources, but also due to lack of technical knowledge.
I believe the main issue was lack of access to chromium and minerals in general due to a blockade- I believe at the time Turkey was the more or less the only supplier of it.

Eugen Sänger was selected to be part of ESTEA, or the Employment of Scientific and Technical Enemy Aliens in which selected scientists were sent to live and work in Australia.
Hi. I’m very curious to know the exact source of this very precise and surprising information for me. Never heard of any link between Sänger an any Australian brain drain effort. Which sources are you using? I never connected him to operation Surgeon for instance as he was recruited by France prior getting back to germany in 1954.
A

BIOS Report 1179: A Survey of German Research and Development Work on Titanium

I believe the main issue was lack of access to chromium and minerals in general due to a blockade- I believe at the time Turkey was the more or less the only supplier of it.

No, technology was the problem also. The topmost metallurgists of the 1940s were British; even US needed British experience with heat-resistant alloys to produce their first jet turbines.

You're welcome. When I first heard of ESTEA, I did not know how everything fit together.

Sänger-Bredt rocket bomber

etc.

Having read and photographed the original report on Saenger's Raketenantrieb fuer Fernbomber, see attached, I can confidently say that most of the above account is entirely speculative. The design is never referred to, for example, as 'Rabo'.

EDIT: I see that Justo has now deleted the post to which I was replying. It was an extremely lengthy description of Saenger's Fernbomber design which included details of the materials it would be made from, on-board systems, attack procedure etc. etc. He stated that the bomber was referred to as 'Rabo', short for 'Raketenbomber'. A single drawing was appended.

DSC_0006.JPG

Last edited:

etc.

Having read and photographed the original report on Saenger's Raketenantrieb fuer Fernbomber, see attached, I can confidently say that most of the above account is entirely speculative. The design is never referred to, for example, as 'Rabo'.

View attachment 655902

I say 'photographed', looking though my files I believe I actually scanned every single page of it...

Saenger.JPG

etc.

View attachment 655902

I say 'photographed', looking though my files I believe I actually scanned every single page of it...

View attachment 655906
Bravo Zulu! This is how debunking is done!

The Germans had high-temperature metals unknown in the US.
Titanium wasn't unknown in the US, and Molybdenun alloys had been used since WW1, Silicon Carbide was also known at the time, and Carbon (Graphite) was used as a refractory material since before 1900. Luigi Gussalli proposed using Graphite in his turbines in the 1920s. And all these materials have a much higher heat tolerance than Titanium, and are easier to work with.