Russian Strategic Weapon Modernization Plans

bobbymike

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score

The article stated, “Russian troops operate new ICBMs in mine and mobile versions. Different types of ICBMs have their own advantages. For example, mines are certainly better protected from being hit by cruise missiles or other air attacks. The rocket is located at a considerable depth and is protected by reinforced concrete caps, said Alexei Podberezkin, director of the Center for Military-Political Research at MGIMO, in a conversation with RT.” "Mines" is not a reference to silo launchers, which are referred to in the article as "stationary launchers." “Mines” with “reinforce[d] concrete caps” are apparently a hard and deeply buried facility, which we call tunnel facilities with blast doors.

QuadroFX

Russia, Chelyabinsk
Reaction score
Website
paralay.iboards.ru
Шахта literally is a place where, for example, coal is mined, i.e. Mine.

In context of missile weapons, Шахта always refers to Шахтная Пусковая Установка(ШПУ), i.e. Silo

Dumb journalists can't even deal with use of online-translators.

Making a news out of nothing.
Making a news out of asshole.

bobbymike

Reaction score
Mine is directly translated as Шахта. Ракетная шахта is Missile Silo.

Making a news out of nothing.
Is there other examples where the article is talking about what could only be a silo based weapon like “Russia to place Sarmat in existing missile silos” that uses this same wording?

QuadroFX

Russia, Chelyabinsk
Reaction score
Website
paralay.iboards.ru
bobbymike, translate it yourself and stop typing nonsense:

Как рассказал в конце 2019 года в интервью телеканалу «Звезда» командующий РВСН Сергей Каракаев, название комплекса «Ярс» расшифровывается как «ядерная ракета сдерживания». Российские войска эксплуатируют новые МБР в шахтном и мобильном вариантах.

«У разных типов базирования МБР свои преимущества. Например, шахты, безусловно, лучше защищены от попадания крылатыми ракетами или другими средствами воздушного нападения. Ракета расположена на значительной глубине и защищена железобетонными колпаками», — пояснил в разговоре с RT директор Центра военно-политических исследований МГИМО Алексей Подберёзкин.

ps: I can't believe that someone needs to explain such primitive things.

bobbymike

Reaction score
bobbymike, translate it yourself and stop typing nonsense:

Как рассказал в конце 2019 года в интервью телеканалу «Звезда» командующий РВСН Сергей Каракаев, название комплекса «Ярс» расшифровывается как «ядерная ракета сдерживания». Российские войска эксплуатируют новые МБР в шахтном и мобильном вариантах.

«У разных типов базирования МБР свои преимущества. Например, шахты, безусловно, лучше защищены от попадания крылатыми ракетами или другими средствами воздушного нападения. Ракета расположена на значительной глубине и защищена железобетонными колпаками», — пояснил в разговоре с RT директор Центра военно-политических исследований МГИМО Алексей Подберёзкин.

ps: I can't believe that someone needs to explain such primitive things.
Hey buddy take it easy I was just asking a question being a non-Russian speaker and have seen convoluted translations before.

kaiserbill

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
I think he meant the original article translation possibly was poor/primitive, rather than yours?
Either way, it does show the pitfalls of translation, where languages are not easily translatable.
Not speaking Russian myself, it's always interesting to see articles and blogs extrapolating stuff based on faulty translations that end up being wildly different to the actual things that were said.. it seems to happen often enough with sites that have a slant or a message they wish to portray.
I suspect many posters themselves use online translators when posting too, with all the attendant pitfalls in nuance.
Lost in translation...

bobbymike

Reaction score
I think he meant the original article translation possibly was poor/primitive, rather than yours?
Either way, it does show the pitfalls of translation, where languages are not easily translatable.
Not speaking Russian myself, it's always interesting to see articles and blogs extrapolating stuff based on faulty translations that end up being wildly different to the actual things that were said.. it seems to happen often enough with sites that have a slant or a message they wish to portray.
I suspect many posters themselves use online translators when posting too, with all the attendant pitfalls in nuance.
Lost in translation...
Thanks for the clarification KB

bobbymike

Reaction score

bobbymike

Reaction score

Grey Havoc

Reaction score

bobbymike

Reaction score

Forest Green

Reaction score

tequilashooter

Reaction score
1st paragraph on report is highly debatable and they might as well add the Cedar missile that is to replace the Yars with already demonstrated capabilities below.

Yars.jpg

bobbymike

Reaction score

sferrin

Reaction score
1st paragraph on report is highly debatable and they might as well add the Cedar missile that is to replace the Yars with already demonstrated capabilities below.

View attachment 654576
What is this "Cedar" missile?
Kedr (Cedar) new ICBM
That's in addition to the SS-18 replacement (Sarmat?), Topol and Yars? Well, it's a good thing we're talking about how destabilizing GBSD is. We wouldn't want to start an arms race or anything. :rolleyes: