Russian Strategic Weapon Modernization Plans

shin_getter

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Given recent events, there is a take where Russian spending on navy and strategic forces is a major mistake. The allocated army is insufficient for Ukraine scale occupation even with normal performance, and actual performance is poor and already failed at achieving many war aims.

Unlike the ongoing land war, there is no clear use case for naval and advanced strategic forces.

starviking

Reaction score
Given recent events, there is a take where Russian spending on navy and strategic forces is a major mistake. The allocated army is insufficient for Ukraine scale occupation even with normal performance, and actual performance is poor and already failed at achieving many war aims.

Unlike the ongoing land war, there is no clear use case for naval and advanced strategic forces.
And with the land side of the Ukrainian invasion showing awfully poor maintenance, and bearing in mind the famous maintenance deficits of the navy (tugs accompanying most deployments), one has to wonder how the strategic forces would actually perform if called upon to carry out their singular mission?

kaiserd

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
And that’s before considerations like the funds potentially freed up by an alternative choice of a more modest update of strategic forces instead being used to invest in wider economic development of an economy far too reliant on oil & gas exports and with most of its other sectors stagnating at best. But such an approach would require a very different perspective to have the leavers of power in Russia.

aonestudio

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
View: https://twitter.com/islamicworldupd/status/1505121990952296452

Flyaway

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
Might be new but all the information is both old and quite inaccurate.
In what way is it inaccurate as the guy doing it is a professional historian to the best of my knowledge. You cannot just say something is inaccurate, without stating how it is inaccurate?

Desertfox

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Might be new but all the information is both old and quite inaccurate.
In what way is it inaccurate as the guy doing it is a professional historian to the best of my knowledge. You cannot just say something is inaccurate, without stating how it is inaccurate?
Unfortunately due to what I do know, I can't go into details. But I can say that every single one of his points can be traced back to Russian news sources over the past 10 years, which we all know are of very dubious quality. He doesn't do any new analysis, just merely repeats stuff previously talked about.

Flyaway

Reaction score
Successful RS-28 test launch.

I found an article with a launch video from Twitter but there was no indication if it was from this launch so have not included it.

Last edited:

bobbymike

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score

Flyaway

Reaction score
Russia is reportedly planning to deploy a unit armed with its new intercontinental ballistic missile, known as Satan 2, later this year.

The unit will be based in Uzhur, around 1,800 miles east of Moscow, according to the state-run Tass news agency, which cited the head of Russia’s Roscosmos space agency, Dmitry Rogozin.

It will be operational no later than autumn 2022, Tass reported.

publiusr

The Anti-Proxmire
Reaction score
Unlike SS-9/SS-18, this was made from the start to be modular. Not just warheads. Good.

To see a missile of that size tossed out of a silo impresses me.

Now, I want to see all-solid, Athena III/SRB-based solids in huge silos similar to that…with that kind of flexibility. Florida only. In case of another Ouamuamua, NEO impact threat. A transient event passes by you can launch a probe at a moment’s notice. An asteroid? Swap the probe out for a nuke.

bobbymike

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Unlike SS-9/SS-18, this was made from the start to be modular. Not just warheads. Good.

To see a missile of that size tossed out of a silo impresses me.

Now, I want to see all-solid, Athena III/SRB-based solids in huge silos similar to that…with that kind of flexibility. Florida only. In case of another Ouamuamua, NEO impact threat. A transient event passes by you can launch a probe at a moment’s notice. An asteroid? Swap the probe out for a nuke.
ATK (Northrop Grumman) looked at an all solid Antares that was estimated at 25k to LEO. Would have made a fine ICBM IMHO.

publiusr

The Anti-Proxmire
Reaction score
That needs to be looked at again…multipurpose. If there is any part of the triad under threat (Buffs and Boomers in the clear) it’s the Ballistics…as Missileers were always treated like red-headed stepchildren. But R-7 pads had artillerymen up until recently…or is that still the case? An ABMA that never died.

Josh_TN

Reaction score
I would have thought the Avangard gliders would be much less volume efficient than even that, but then again its shape and dimensions were never published to the best of my knowledge.

Forest Green

Reaction score
I would have thought the Avangard gliders would be much less volume efficient than even that, but then again its shape and dimensions were never published to the best of my knowledge.
I'm actually questioning my memory now, was it 5 or 3? It's possible the Avangard has a smaller warhead too though.