• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Royal Navy Lion Class Battleship series 1938-1945

Tzoli

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
The papers not mentions the aircraft type specifically but:

AIRCRAFT.
A double acting fixed athwartship D.III.H catapult is mounted between the funnels and arranged to operate aircraft of 12,000 lbs. and 50 ft. span.
Two aircraft are carried in hangers built abreast the forward funnel. Power operated trollies transfer the aircraft from the hangers to the catapult. Two cranes are provided for handling aircraft and boats.

TomS

Reaction score
Thank you for sharing them, Tzoli !
And maybe, there's also a gem for the "aircraft only purists", as on the plans of the after sections and the profile, the ship's aircraft
is shown, which to me looks like a Fairey Albacore with floats. Still yet, I haven't found a mention of such a version.
Seems there was one prototype with floats, but I've been unable to track down a photo. I'm not entirely sure the source is accurate.

First flight for an Albacore prototype came on December 12th, 1938 - less than a year from the British declaration of war on Germany (this still to come in September of 1939). A second prototype followed but this had its wheeled undercarriage replaced with floats for the floatplane torpedo bomber role. In the end, the wheeled version won out and the design formally entered service with the FAA during 1940.

Last edited:

DWG

Reaction score
Seems there was one prototype with floats, but I've been unable to track down a photo. I'm not entirely sure the source is accurate.
"All Albacores were landplanes, though the first prototype was later fitted experimentally with floats to determine its prospects for possible catapult operations. Tests were made by MAEE pilots at Hamble early in 1940 and were not markedly successful." from the Putnam Fairey Aircraft.

TomS

Reaction score
"All Albacores were landplanes, though the first prototype was later fitted experimentally with floats to determine its prospects for possible catapult operations. Tests were made by MAEE pilots at Hamble early in 1940 and were not markedly successful." from the Putnam Fairey Aircraft.
Thanks. So my source was only semi-accurate, but there was briefly an Albacore floatplane, which could have been the source for this drawing.

Hood

Reaction score
Its interesting that a Walrus wasn't depicted. But of course the Swordfish had been operated from battleships as a seaplane so it probably appeared logical to assume that the seaplane Albacore would enter service as a lighter seaplane to replace the Swordfish and Seafox. Of course this never happened. Spec S.24/37 that led to Barracuda had initially specified floats as an alternative from use in sheltered waters but this was soon dropped.
Actually I think seaplane versions of most of the late 1930s types proved a flop in some form or another, probably why the Sea Otter was persevered with despite the production delays.

phil gollin

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score

Someone did obtain a photograph of the Albacore floatplane prototype and copied it to people on a confidential basis ( I THINK it was on the secret projects website ). I have a copy, but will abide by the agreement not to spread it.

M. A. Rozon

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
Oh Wow! Thanks, Tzoli, these are great!

Last edited:

lordroel

CLEARANCE: Restricted
Reaction score
Thanks @Tzoli, i have learn something new, always assumed that the Lion class was a single design, should have known that designs evolve over time.

Tzoli

Reaction score
Maybe Lion was the unluckiest ship never to be built? The class kept delayed one after another and modified the design almost yearly!
It's one hell of a luck the HMS Vanguard was even built!

lordroel

Reaction score
Maybe Lion was the unluckiest ship never to be built? The class kept delayed one after another and modified the design almost yearly!
So which of the designs you posted would Vanguard be the closest with.

Tzoli

Reaction score
I don't understand your question.

lordroel

Reaction score
I don't understand your question.
In the first post of this thread you posted several Lion designs, which one would be the closest to the Vanguard design that was build.

Tzoli

Reaction score
None and all starting from the 1938 versions. The hull shape is the same as chosen for the 1938 Lion, Superstructure wise from the 1942 versions and up.

lordroel

Reaction score
None and all starting from the 1938 versions. The hull shape is the same as chosen for the 1938 Lion, Superstructure wise from the 1942 versions and up.
A so a bit of everything then.

Tzoli

Reaction score
A so a bit of everything then.
I'm not sure what you are really asking for.
Vanguard is a different line a ship designed to carry to old 15"cannons not a new 16"

lordroel

Reaction score