Speaking of dated...
One of the official candidates for Puma replacement is the UH-60M... a 1972 designed airframe with newer bits hanging off it.

A poster on pprune has USArmy UH-60 OSD as 2070s.

Sikorsky licensed S-70 to Shorts, 3/84-2/85 for First Thoughts on Puma Replacement; then 5/86-2/94 licensed WS-70L to Yeovil (under various names) for Puma Second Thoughts and for RSa.AF, who made a Provisional Agreement for 88, 7/88. That lapsed (one writer asserts Israel lobbying in US against its offensive armament. KSA ordered NH90...which lapsed. In 2015 KSA took an S-70 licence, which lapsed). For WS-70L (Sikorsky's then-Owner) UTC took an RTM322 licence for (their) P&W(C). So, in Whiff realm...if KSA had taken WS-70L, I suggest, so would RAF.

9/2009 order would not have been placed on Eurocopter Brasov for 28 (to be 24) rebuilds as Puma HC2 (FOC 2015). That was reported as £260Mn. Thereabouts Sweden bought 15 UH-60M with a support package, for £330Mn.

F-15s with already 50-year service life for the design, with 20-30 more to go... and so on.

The 1970s saw aircraft design reach a technological plateau for a long time (we've had mainly incremental design since, with systems upgrades into existing excellent airframes being the main advancements.

They pulled that one to get Chinooks.

Chris

Didn't know that, I was thinking of 'Big Lizzie' and PoW . . .

cheers,
Robin.
Well, you really, really need a copy of "The Air Staff and The Helicopter". It's not just about the aircraft with the fuzzy tops you know.
Chris

I do indeed have a copy, but for various, convoluted reasons, I've not got round to reading it properly . . . :oops:

cheers,
Robin.

zeb: BAe as a Land Bank. No suspicion, specific purpose. Govt unloaded Royal Ordnance and Rover Group to them solely, specifically so. They set up a Property Manager, Arlington, initially to handle Saudi Air Defence Scheme infrastructure, then bought Liverpool Airport (?!).

The A in their name lost any meaning decades ago.
Never did quite understand that one... they ended up selling at least part of it to Peel Holdings who have done a similar thing with the docks around the Mersey...

Zeb

Emirates canceled orders of Caracal might have left some good opportunities to aquire supplementary airframe. Pure speculation, obviously.

I hope they will refine their specifications to make it more clear for the industry.

But let's admit, no Hercule, old Puma... It doesn't sound good for British mobility.
Well too late: Netherland was quick to grab them (my guess only). See below (12 Caracal for Netherland SoC):

How did you come across that story?

Very interesting, as having dealings with Dutch Helicopter Command and dutch helo inudstry / National Research Lab as a whole in the last 2 decades, original long term plan was to retire the Cougars, and replace with NH90 TTH (we talking decade ago).

Speaking of Cougar, here are my photos from a fortnight ago of pair of RNLAF AS532UT Cougars passing through here RAF Mildenhall en route up to Carlisle Airport and then to the RAF Spadeedam Ranges, where their CH-47F and AH-64E Apaches would join them after transiting through RAF Northolt.

1686179396687.png

1686179423829.png

cheers

I do indeed have a copy, but for various, convoluted reasons, I've not got round to reading it properly . . . :oops:

cheers,
Robin.
Tssk, tssk. But eet ees waffer-theen, monsieur.

Screenshot_20230608_074741.jpg

Oddly enough, a couple of weeks ago, I was discussing unread (or unfinished) books with somebody and we wondered what the aviation equivalent of 'A Brief History of Time' might be.

Chris

Last edited:
Ok, so its Sunday morning and maybe I'm letting my brain wander too far but with this development (https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/c-130-hercules-projects.2035/page-5#post-441331) I wonder if things are setting up nicely for some brasshats to say "we want some CV-22Bs?" to get a big VTOL lifter, SAS insertion and carrier COD rolled into one?
Does make sense.

As for the amount of light generated, was it more than a chopper working at night in the Arabian Gulf/Afghanistan today? Apparently the stray sand particles when struck by the rotor blades spark and light up. While quite spectacular on wide exposure, low speed film, in reality it is still pretty dark. The Rotodyne did not emit spectacular amounts of light from it's tip jets. It would have been quite workable at night IMO.
On my old phone, I had some gorgeous photos of that. Need to figure out how to get them off that phone.

Yes. It appears that the only RAAF rotary wing aircraft are some contracted AW139s for SAR. The Army got all the battlefield helicopters when the Chinooks came back from their brief holiday in the early 1990s. The Black Hawks came in (to the Army), the Chinooks were retired (by the RAAF), and then it became obvious the Black Hawks couldn't do all the missions, so the Chinooks came back (this time to the Army). Probably for the best -- the Chinooks were almost exclusively for Army support anyway, so why not put them under Army control?
The US Army certainly runs lots of both H60s and Chinooks.

The AAC Bell 212 and RAF 84 Sqn Bell 412 are whole different kettle of fish they are COMR (Commercially Operated Military Registered) as in not front line battlefield helos and are supplied by CObham Helicopter Services (formerly FB Heliservices). The Army Bell 212 are used for Jungle support in Brunei of our Ghurka troops there, and also used for some trianing conversion at Middle Wallop 84 Sqn Bell 412 are providing SAR and other utility tasks for British Forces Cyprus. My photos below of both 84 Sqn Bell 412 and AAC bell 212 at Helitech Exhibtion 2011 in my neck of the woods at Imperial War Museum Duxford.
Those are still Hueys, which were made as combat helicopters.

MLASS is for the MH-60M DAP for some operational environments. I am not fond of the new pylon shown as it makes the defensive gunner weapons useless but for firing forward and are only applicable if you are using the H-60 as an attack airframe (like the current version used on MH-60M DAP). The upward angled stores station is for either the Korean or Japanese H-60 used for (C)SAR.
Didn't the USAF also get that upward angled pylon for the Pave Hawks?

Some of the early versions of the HH-60 did have provisions for the external tanks. I am not sure if they were ever used operationally,

Some of the early versions of the HH-60 did have provisions for the external tanks. I am not sure if they were ever used operationally,
Like this?

clip_image010_0002.jpg

The US Army UH-60 fleet did have ESSS with the ability to carry ERFS tanks (shown above), although they only rarely carried four tanks. However the USAF HH-60 early in the program did, I think, have a different set of arms that held the external tank higher so that the door gunners had better ability to shoot down.
Similar to that of the Japanese version of the H-60 21907485752_4e43b890b7_b.jpg

Loving the cat fight thats broken out at DSEI, Lockheed claimed that it was the only NMH competitor with a sufficiently ruggedized aircraft as the Black Hawk had been designed from the ground up as a combat aircraft, Leonardo responded that the AW149 had been designed with ballistic protection for the cabin and rotors and to survive hard landings. Lockheed then said, ahh but in our aircraft the pilot can be stretchered into the back cabin by lowering his seat whereas in your aircraft they would have to be transitioned via the outside of the aircraft, to which Leonardo replied if your pilots been shot you've failed to provide ballistic protection and you have a more urgent problem than stretchering them into the rear of the cabin!

LOL

Does make sense.

On my old phone, I had some gorgeous photos of that. Need to figure out how to get them off that phone.

The US Army certainly runs lots of both H60s and Chinooks.

Those are still Hueys, which were made as combat helicopters.

Didn't the USAF also get that upward angled pylon for the Pave Hawks?

Nope our COMR Bell 212 and 412 are civilian helicopters built from scratch upward have no combat value nor would they be used as such.

They are Not armed

They do not have any Defense Aided Suites

They would not be used in combat...

you know there are also civilian Bell Hueys assembled from day one for the commercial marketplace from the early start Bell 204/205/212/412.

Bearing in mind our Civil Aviation Authority do not like to entertain ex Military a/c to be sued commercially and the Draken Europe ( Cobham Helicopters and formerly FB Heliservices) helos are civilian …

cheers

Last edited:
So,

There's a competition, but what does the future really look like?

The RAF have just signed a new vision statement with USAF : https://www.raf.mod.uk/news/article...-vision-statement-on-agile-combat-employment/

That would make it more sensible ( i know that never works) for the RAF to go Blackhawk to be able to share best practice / exchanges and ops with the US.

I'm sure we've also signed on as partners to valour?? so crews can be embedded with US army / USAF to get that when it matures.

We've also got to be lokking longer term to replace Merlin? with the Marine wanting to act more special forces i can see them wanting the Valour as well as they have said they want longer range ops.

Thoughts???

I'm saying that in general the UK seems to be following and working closer than ever with the US.

I'm just wondering if we're going all in.

Of course we're not buying the 6th get fighters etc.

With the issues of NH-90 i just wonder if US kit is looking more attractive.

It's odd though as back in the 80's (85?) we nearly had the blackhawks.

So,

There's a competition, but what does the future really look like?

The RAF have just signed a new vision statement with USAF : https://www.raf.mod.uk/news/article...-vision-statement-on-agile-combat-employment/

That would make it more sensible ( i know that never works) for the RAF to go Blackhawk to be able to share best practice / exchanges and ops with the US.

I'm sure we've also signed on as partners to valour?? so crews can be embedded with US army / USAF to get that when it matures.

We've also got to be lokking longer term to replace Merlin? with the Marine wanting to act more special forces i can see them wanting the Valour as well as they have said they want longer range ops.

Thoughts???

Exchange programs between AAC and RAF with the US Army has been happening for over 5 decades, , as well as RAF helo pilots on exchange to USAF REscue Units flying HH-60G Pave Hawk. but its mainly instructor officer postings especially on AH-64A/D/E

The 3rd AAC exchange officer to the US Army in 1980/81 Major N Ryan managed to fly quite a few hours in the then new UH-60A Blackhawk at Fort Rucker.

One of the famous test pilots (ex Leonardo and think Skyfall) who was ex RAF Chinook pilot went on exchange to EDwards AFB late 80s to early 90s to the then Army Aviation Test Directorate (before it got moved to Rucker) flew UH-60 on test pilot instruction amongst other types there. He was featured in RAF News newspaper in 1990/91 along with other RAF officers on exchange around USA, one of which ended up in charge of the F-15E Strike Eagle test program.

cheers

The cynic in me would say - why buy a design that's basically 10 years younger than the Puma?
Yes its been continuously improved and modified ever since - but then so have the Pumas.

And it's not as if ordering Blackhawks from LM is going to earn brownie points with Bell for Valours...

Nope our COMR Bell 212 and 412 are civilian helicopters built from scratch upward have no combat value nor would they be used as such.

They are Not armed

They do not have any Defense Aided Suites

They would not be used in combat...

you know there are also civilian Bell Hueys assembled from day one for the commercial marketplace from the early start Bell 204/205/212/412.
They're still Hueys, which were originally designed as a military assault transport.

If you're willing to add the weight in Defensive Suites they're still usable.

It's less than the difference between the Sikorsky H-60 and S-70.

Bearing in mind our Civil Aviation Authority do not like to entertain ex Military a/c to be sued commercially and the Draken Europe ( Cobham Helicopters and formerly FB Heliservices) helos are civilian …

cheers
Your CAA needs a sense of humor.

The cynic in me would say - why buy a design that's basically 10 years younger than the Puma?
Yes its been continuously improved and modified ever since - but then so have the Pumas.
It's just interim so focus should be on cost after getting over a minimal capability hurdle. Plus the joys of "social value" but that gets accounted for in cost.

They're still Hueys, which were originally designed as a military assault transport.

If you're willing to add the weight in Defensive Suites they're still usable.

It's less than the difference between the Sikorsky H-60 and S-70.

Your CAA needs a sense of humor.

Our requirements back then and now it is called Commercial Operated Military Registered, works like this,

1) Cheaper to operate civilian a/c thus releasing front line a/c to do what they have to do and COMR a/c are not meant to be used in combat. So why the hell are would we want to fit DAS add extra weight as they I repeat are civil helicopters assembled from day one at the Fort Worth Factory. Example the Bell 212 used by Army Air Corps were all civilian to start off with, take this one

assembled built civilian standards sold to Bristows in 1971

2) Our military has shrank in over 3 decades, and especially with options for change , and Public Finance Initiative (PFI) in the early 1990s onwards...

So in the early 90s (there is a reason why i have used this year), we had across the board in the armed services

Royal Navy (I'll start with senior service lol) Fleet Air Arm

Front line ASW/ASuW/Royal Marines Support

Aerospatiale Gazelle HT1 for flying training with 705 Naval Air Squadron
Westland Lynx HAS 6

Westland Sea King HAS6
Westland Commando Mk4

Royal Marines 3rd Brigade Air Squadron which became 847 Naval Air Squadron
Westland Lynx AH7
Westland Aerospatiale Gazelle

Army Air Corps
Agusta A109 Hirundo for 8 Flight Special Forces (2 captured during thee Falklands War and then additional two from civilian world)
Aerospatiale Alouette II - Cyprus Garrison
Westland Lynx AH7
Westland Aerospatiale Gazelle of various Mks
Westland Battlefield Lynx AH9
Gazelle used for flying training by contracted out Bristow Helicopters LTd
Westland Scout AH1

Royal Air Force
Boeing CHinook HC1/HC2
Aerospatiale Westland GAzelle HT3 for flying training at Shawbury
Aerospatiale Westland GAzelle HCC4 32 (Royal Squadron)
Westland Wessex 84 Sqn RAF AKrotiri, Cyprus
Westland Wessex HAR3 - 28 (Army CoOp) Sqn RAF SEk Kong, Hong Kong, 72 SQn, RAF Aldergrove, Northern Ireland
Westland Wessex HT multi engine and aircrewman training at RAF Shawbury
Westland Wessex Queens Flight
Aerospatiale / Westland Puma HC1
Westland Sea King HAR3 for Search and Rescue

So the government decided that with legacy ageing airframes and wanting to be post cold war budget, decided on the following

Flying training could be outsourced / privatised

VIP such as Queens Flight and 32 Sqn defo could go commercial

The garrisons in Belize and Brunei could go to commercial sector (especially the latter as the handover of HK, the Brunei support fell under 660 Sqn Army Air Corps based at Sek Kong with unit withdrawing from Hong Kong and the Scout retired).

Here is what happened after the above

- 1995 onwards 32 Squadron became 32 (Royal) Squadron , retired Gazelle and leased an AS355F1 from then McAlpines (became Eurocopter Uk and Airbus Helicopters UK today) and then contract changed hands with AgustaWestland providing the Aw109E Power (my photo below from Royal International Air Tattoo 2011) and now AW109s GrandNew ook the Wessex from the Queens Flight.. Wessex was then retired and the Queens (now King) Helicopter Flight under the Royal Household took delivery of Sikorsky S-76C+ from 1998 onwards and since 2009 its been S-76C++

1694885962066.png

-1997 the Defence Helicopter Flying School was established with then FBS Heliservices - FR Aviation, Bristow and Serco winning contract to provide flying training across all three services with the AS350BB SQuirrel HT1 and Bell 412 Griffin HT1. Thus the Gazelles used in the RAF, AAC and RN FAA were retired and same with the Wessex at Shawbury. the three flying training squadrons at the different bases, re formed at one - Shawbury. The Search And Rescue Training Unit (SARTU) at RAf Valley in Wales stayed there and took the Griffin for multi engine and crewman training.

My photos of DHFS Squirrel and Griffin at RAF Waddington Air Show 2011

1694885605282.png

- 2017 to this day, DHFS is gone and UK Military Flying Training System (UKMFTS) is run by Ascent Flying Training using Airbus Helicopters H135 Juno and H145 Jupiter for rotary flying training so my photo below from Royal International Air Tattoo 2017

1694886076722.png

At one point Serco pulled out and it was FB Heliservices all the way

FB Heliservices provided the Bell 212 for the Belize Garrison , replacing the Gazelle, and also adter 1994, the RAf Puma detachment came abck to UK along with Harrier GR3 (the type being retired as HArrier GR5 came into service in early 90s anyhow). After handover of HK, 660 Squadron had come back here and disbanded and reformed under the Defence Helicopter Flying School, so Brunei Garrison ended up with FB Heliservices Bell 212 so here is my photo below from Helitech 2011 Exhibition in my neighbourhood at IWM Duxford

1694885280604.png

2003, the very last Westland Wessexs were retired as they were still serving with 84 Squadron RAF Akrotiri Cyrpus and FB Heliservices supplied Bell 412, my photo below also from Helitech 2011 Exhibition in my neighbourhood at IWM Duxford

1694885179663.png

My point is they are civilian helicopters period and were not going to see day of light in battle,

Which country are you from out of interest?

Cheers

Last edited:
Our requirements back then and now it is called Commercial Operated Military Registered, works like this,

1) Cheaper to operate civilian a/c thus releasing front line a/c to do what they have to do and COMR a/c are not meant to be used in combat. So why the hell are would we want to fit DAS add extra weight as they I repeat are civil helicopters assembled from day one at the Fort Worth Factory. Example the Bell 212 used by Army Air Corps were all civilian to start off with, take this one

assembled built civilian standards sold to Bristows in 1971

2) Our military has shrank in over 3 decades, and especially with options for change , and Public Finance Initiative (PFI) in the early 1990s onwards...

So in the early 90s (there is a reason why i have used this year), we had across the board in the armed services

Royal Navy (I'll start with senior service lol) Fleet Air Arm

Front line ASW/ASuW/Royal Marines Support

Aerospatiale Gazelle HT1 for flying training with 705 Naval Air Squadron
Westland Lynx HAS 6

Westland Sea King HAS6
Westland Commando Mk4

Royal Marines 3rd Brigade Air Squadron which became 847 Naval Air Squadron
Westland Lynx AH7
Westland Aerospatiale Gazelle

Army Air Corps
Agusta A109 Hirundo for 8 Flight Special Forces (2 captured during thee Falklands War and then additional two from civilian world)
Aerospatiale Alouette II - Cyprus Garrison
Westland Lynx AH7
Westland Aerospatiale Gazelle of various Mks
Westland Battlefield Lynx AH9
Gazelle used for flying training by contracted out Bristow Helicopters LTd
Westland Scout AH1

Royal Air Force
Boeing CHinook HC1/HC2
Aerospatiale Westland GAzelle HT3 for flying training at Shawbury
Aerospatiale Westland GAzelle HCC4 32 (Royal Squadron)
Westland Wessex 84 Sqn RAF AKrotiri, Cyprus
Westland Wessex HAR3 - 28 (Army CoOp) Sqn RAF SEk Kong, Hong Kong, 72 SQn, RAF Aldergrove, Northern Ireland
Westland Wessex HT multi engine and aircrewman training at RAF Shawbury
Westland Wessex Queens Flight
Aerospatiale / Westland Puma HC1
Westland Sea King HAR3 for Search and Rescue

So the government decided that with legacy ageing airframes and wanting to be post cold war budget, decided on the following

Flying training could be outsourced / privatised
Not sure I agree with that being cheaper, but I definitely see the need to reduce the overall number of aircraft types. There's a reason the US basically flies nothing but Blackhawks for the "squad sized helicopters"!

VIP such as Queens Flight and 32 Sqn defo could go commercial
That I would strongly disagree with, unless the Queen wasn't the one with the nuclear release codes under the UK governmental setup? You need some dedicated specialty communications gear in the Boss's aircraft. Just in case.

I would also expect a full set of countermeasures on general principles of not letting your head of government be an easy target when flying. Which is what makes the aircraft used by the POTUS so (expletives deleted) expensive. USAF won't admit it, but I fully believe that the VC-25s have more radar jammer output power than at least one B-52, plus a pile of different IRCM. Marines won't admit it either, but the DIRCM blisters are obvious on the helos.

The garrisons in Belize and Brunei could go to commercial sector (especially the latter as the handover of HK, the Brunei support fell under 660 Sqn Army Air Corps based at Sek Kong with unit withdrawing from Hong Kong and the Scout retired).
Sure, if there's nobody shooting at you in those locations, you don't need the full defensive suites. And I can see maybe using a helicopter more optimized for SAR and air ambulance work if that's the primary thing those birds fly.

My point is they are civilian helicopters period and were not going to see day of light in battle,

Which country are you from out of interest?

Cheers
I'm from the US.

Hueys were originally designed as something between flying jeeps and flying Higgins Boats, intended to go into combat. The single largest vulnerable point on one is the pilot(s), which are redundant. The engine and transmission are hard to hit, especially from the front. The tail rotor drive shaft is also relatively hard to hit.

Do the Hueys have all the fancy defensive systems that you'd expect for a modern combat helo, to deal with MANPADS? No. But some terrorist asshole with even a DShK isn't going to shoot one down easily. And some terrorist asshole with only a 7.62mm machine gun shouldn't even try.

Great pictures, BTW!

A decision to use British nuclear weapons would be taken by the Prime Minister. All explained here.

Not sure I agree with that being cheaper, but I definitely see the need to reduce the overall number of aircraft types. There's a reason the US basically flies nothing but Blackhawks for the "squad sized helicopters"!

That I would strongly disagree with, unless the Queen wasn't the one with the nuclear release codes under the UK governmental setup? You need some dedicated specialty communications gear in the Boss's aircraft. Just in case.

I would also expect a full set of countermeasures on general principles of not letting your head of government be an easy target when flying. Which is what makes the aircraft used by the POTUS so (expletives deleted) expensive. USAF won't admit it, but I fully believe that the VC-25s have more radar jammer output power than at least one B-52, plus a pile of different IRCM. Marines won't admit it either, but the DIRCM blisters are obvious on the helos.

Sure, if there's nobody shooting at you in those locations, you don't need the full defensive suites. And I can see maybe using a helicopter more optimized for SAR and air ambulance work if that's the primary thing those birds fly.

I'm from the US.

Hueys were originally designed as something between flying jeeps and flying Higgins Boats, intended to go into combat. The single largest vulnerable point on one is the pilot(s), which are redundant. The engine and transmission are hard to hit, especially from the front. The tail rotor drive shaft is also relatively hard to hit.

Do the Hueys have all the fancy defensive systems that you'd expect for a modern combat helo, to deal with MANPADS? No. But some terrorist asshole with even a DShK isn't going to shoot one down easily. And some terrorist asshole with only a 7.62mm machine gun shouldn't even try.

Great pictures, BTW!

Thanks
the only a/c for ferrying distinguished visitors in the 32(Royal) Squadron that had DIRCM , DAS were the now retired BAE 146 and HS125 …because they did fly abroad and at times into conflict areas with senior RAF or other military staff. like what the 89th Airlift Wing does ..as an example. our PM and Royal Family tend to fly commercial like British Airways as an example To your side of the pond. it’s rare they will fly on say 101 Squadron Airbus A330 Voyager (again that’s a AirTanker Private finance initiative) or even use corporate jet from a corporate operator for hops into Europe or other parts of the UK. A lot of its to do with cost, and public image.

The Queen does not hold the nuclear codes, none of the Royal family have ever done, it be No 10, the PM I and the UK general public do not know how the protocol or procedures for authorizing Trident launch..

Believe me we have threats from half century of threats from the likes of the IRA / PIRA …and sadly with the assassination of the late Lord Mountbatten, who as you recall was blown up with his family on a boat, so we take security of the royals and leaders ver seriously.

Back on topic, you talk about counter measures, there is one COMR aircraft which is on the replacement by the NMH, that does have some DIRCM, or so Airbus Helicopters AS365N3 Dauphin for supporting our SAS belonging To 658 Squadron.

The Unit used to be 8 Flight and operated the captured Argentinian A109 Hirundo. I have seen and stood next to one of them, grey and white one while it was undergoing maintenance and a very well knowe civilian helicopter operator 21 years ago. It had a lot of lumps and bumps, DIRCM, chaff flares etc. Said helicopter is on display at the Army Air Corps museum of flying.

but bear this in mind these helos would not be like your Nightstalkers MH-60K/M, A/MH-6 and fly into enemy territory. The self protection; is against thr Bad guys on home territory.

The British media wryly dub them ‚Blue Thunder‘ because they are painted blue, and seen during response to the London Bridge terror attack 2017 and the Ariadne Grande concert

i have seen one on my travels at RAF Mildenhall a decade ago, and apparently the other year one transited through my local Airport here…Marshalls Cabridge (but I was abroad) .

cheers.

A decision to use British nuclear weapons would be taken by the Prime Minister. All explained here.
Thank you.

So while The Royal Personage's helicopter doesn't need the command and control setup, the one used by the person with the release authority does. Depending on setup, it may be cheaper to fit out all the VVIP helos that way, so you don't have to maintain two separate pools for the Royal and the PM. And of course all the countermeasures you'd expect for a Head of State transport, which is why I don't think that should be a commercial helo.

I can make further arguments along that line for the helos dedicated to supporting SAS/SBS/etc. They should have all the countermeasures, but shouldn't necessarily all be the same type. If they're working in an area where Mi8/Mi24s dominate like eastern Europe or the Middle East, they should have an appropriately set up Mi8/Mi24 for cover. Working in most of Europe? one of the Eurocopter large air ambulances (or at least something that looks like the large air ambulances), or one of the oil rig helos (or something that looks like an oil rig helo). etc. Whatever is most commonly flying in the area. Yes, that gets expensive. Being sneaky always does.

But in terms of simplifying the rest of the UK's medium lift helicopters, sure, settle in on one type and buy a crapton of them. Like what the US did with the H-60 series. You will still want and need heavier lift helicopters, there's a reason the US Army flies both Blackhawks and Chinooks and the USN flies Seahawks and H-53s. So let the RAF have their Chinooks, and replace all their smaller helicopters with whatever the Army and RN buy for their medium lift helicopters. Gives you a much larger spare parts pool.

Thank you.

So while The Royal Personage's helicopter doesn't need the command and control setup, the one used by the person with the release authority does. Depending on setup, it may be cheaper to fit out all the VVIP helos that way, so you don't have to maintain two separate pools for the Royal and the PM. And of course all the countermeasures you'd expect for a Head of State transport, which is why I don't think that should be a commercial helo.

I can make further arguments along that line for the helos dedicated to supporting SAS/SBS/etc. They should have all the countermeasures, but shouldn't necessarily all be the same type. If they're working in an area where Mi8/Mi24s dominate like eastern Europe or the Middle East, they should have an appropriately set up Mi8/Mi24 for cover. Working in most of Europe? one of the Eurocopter large air ambulances (or at least something that looks like the large air ambulances), or one of the oil rig helos (or something that looks like an oil rig helo). etc. Whatever is most commonly flying in the area. Yes, that gets expensive. Being sneaky always does.

But in terms of simplifying the rest of the UK's medium lift helicopters, sure, settle in on one type and buy a crapton of them. Like what the US did with the H-60 series. You will still want and need heavier lift helicopters, there's a reason the US Army flies both Blackhawks and Chinooks and the USN flies Seahawks and H-53s. So let the RAF have their Chinooks, and replace all their smaller helicopters with whatever the Army and RN buy for their medium lift helicopters. Gives you a much larger spare parts pool.

To answer your question a lot of our SF support is carried out by the RAF in particular the Joint Special Forces Aviation Wing and 7 Sqn equipped with Boeing Chinook HC6...with all the bells and whistles plus FLIR, and NVG equipped crews.

You will not find anything more about 7 Squadron and let alone anything in modern books,

The SBS will be happily deployed with their ribbed boats, dinghies by the 7 SQn Chinooks and if you fancy a read please try this

About a RAF NCO aircrewman (now called Weapons Systems Operator) later turned commercial airline pilot after he left, and his career with the Chinook special forces community in the late 1980s and in Operation Desert Storm. All in that time he was working on building p his hours on light aircraft and gaining his commercial license so when he left he would go into being an airline pilot and morale was low in the RAF end of cold war anyhow. There is a bit of bitterness as he writes about post Desert Storm as he thought he had Gulf War Syndrome, which had an effect on him and his family.

7 Squadron RAF also had the dstinction of flying the now retired Gazelle , because it would act as a kinda forward air controller , that would go in front of the Chinooks ..observe target, recon etc..

SBS can be assisted by their own brethren the Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Merlin HC4 if need be and have fire support from the Wildcat HMA2.

During Operation Desert Storm, the likes of the famous Bravo Two Zero SAS team (think Andy McNabb) got inserted by RAF Chinook behind enemy lines.

Our SAS / SBS teams have also been inserted or extracted by the likes of 160th SOAR Nightstalkers, USAF AFSOC, in the last 3 decades.

cheers

Thanks @RavenOne for all the great details as always.

This thread makes me think it’s a shame there are no longer dozens of grounded H225s available for the picking?

Thank you.

So... replace Pumas with a like number of Merlin HC.3s?

Thanks @RavenOne for all the great details as always.

This thread makes me think it’s a shame there are no longer dozens of grounded H225s available for the picking?

Says who? You are behind the times lol, no H225 / H225M are grounded since 2017 I know because I was one several individuals went flying in H225 at Helitech 2017 show in London Excel in Sept 2017 my pics below (after they were allowed by EASA to resume flying after over year grounded sadly due to the CHC fatal crash in Norway with separation of the MRh).

GHS_H225_2017_1.jpg GHS_H225_2017_2.jpg GHS_H225_2017_3.jpg GHS_H225_2017_4.jpg GHS_H225_2017_5.jpg GHS_H225_2017_6.jpg GHS_H225_2017_7.jpg GHS_H225_2017_8.jpg

The other year Royal Singapore Air Force H225M was delivered

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3thDXVpfs8

And few months ago at Paris Air Show 2023 I saw the first H225M for Hungarian Air Force (my pic below)

Huaf_H225M.jpg

And the ROyal Netherlands Air Force ordered 14 for spec operations

cheers

You are behind the times lol, no H225 / H225M are grounded since 2017
Sorry I meant parked/in storage, or voluntarily grounded so to speak. Anyway some operators got some great deals on those ex-offshore H225s (Milestone Aviation/Air Center, Ukraine gov…).

If you are thinking at the ex-CHC H225, they were sold to Ukraine in 17-18 as part of a deal with Airbus and the French gov.

Something like that. Though IIRC the RAF/Army had some Merlins and passed them to RN.

Obviously, this assumes that the Merlins are as well supported as (insert other helicopter type here).

it was 28 (Army Co-Opeeration) Squadron RAF that had the Merlins, in fact bearing in mind 28 (AC) Sqn just about finished, disbanded temp once the handover to Hing Kong was complete and the Westland Wessex handed over to the Uruguay Air Force, at then Kai Tak International Airport. Few years later into the Millenium, they reformed to be the RAF Merlin squadron.

Laughingly or not your ref RAf/AAC operating the Merlin, according to Army Air Corps by Paul Beaver published circa 1987, under the chapter on future programs such as then TONAL attack helicopter (Agusta A129 developed further by UK, Spain, Netherlands as well as Italy). The author then brings up his musings, or how the future battlefield lift would look like bearing in mind it was round 1 back then of the WS-70 Blackhawk for the RAF.

1695250856030.png

But he mentions how the battlefield support role could be given wholly to the Army Air Corps like with other countries such as USA, Italy, and Merlin could go to the AAC. BUt it never happened and instead a decade or so after the book was published, Joint Helicopter Command (JHC) was established at army land forces Hq, with RAF officer in charge one year, then ARmy Air Corps then Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm officer.

Either way, regardless, its the army controls the budget predominantly for RAF Battlefield support helos, such as Puma, Chinook, and then Merlin. In short the army is the customer, paying for rides ..

Then ithe Mk3 and Mk3a (former Royal Danish Air Force ones we redirected back here due to Urgent Operational Requirements for Afghanistan) went to the ROyal Navy Fleet Air Arm Commando Helicopter Force as interim till the new Merlin Mk IV arrived on scene in the last 6 years.

cheers

Given the desired size the various bits of Brit military like for their "medium lift" helicopters, the EH101/Merlin seems a good replacement for the Puma.

If the Army is comfortable going down to squad (sorry, section) transport sized helicopters, then the Blackhawk makes sense. Or if the program drags on so long that the V-280s enter service before a decision is made, then I could see the UK getting V-280s instead. But that also means you need 2-3x as many helos compared to Puma/Merlin.

Specifically for CSAR, though, I find it really hard to argue with the CV-22 Osprey. Even if it means you only operate 10 of the beasts. The speed for getting a downed pilot out of trouble is just about unbeatable (and the ability to carry a section of grunts to guard the medics helps).

You know I can see it now . . .
Some Neddy in the MoD, studying the Black Hawk proposal suddenly realising
'These aren't bad helicopters, and they've been around for quite a while. I wonder if we could get some cheap ones, second hand . . .'

cheers,
Robin.