• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Replacing the M113 and FV432

uk 75

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
At the end of the Cold War it looked as if the M113 and FV432 would leave service either not to be replaced or to be replaced by more suitable vehicles. Thirty years later, they still serve in many forms and much refurbished. A bit like a London Taxi the simple box on tracks is right for the job.
Which begs the question, like the London taxi, should they be replaced by very similar but modern vehicles?

riggerrob

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Yes.
Secondary troops (signallers, medics, engineers, etc. ) still need shrapnel-resistant vehicles for moving over rough terrain.
An under-appreciated role is NBC protection provided by sealed hulls and sophisticated ventilation systems.
Ideally those simple APCs share high-wear components with ther AFVs in the same supply train.

Consider that the First World War taught armies about the value of steel helmets in reducing shrapnel wounds, but poor bloody infantry did not get roofed APCS until they needed to cross contaminated ground during the Cold War.

On a personal note, my first beret was black and I first learned how to drive an M113.5 Lynx.