• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

C-130 Hercules Projects

fightingirish

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
OBB is right. :)
Btw the German version of this book is called "Militärflugzeuge 2000".
Before you ask, I do not have this book at hand.

Hank58

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
How about this one....... from the collection.
The silver-painted, tee-tail model is not a proposed C-130 variant. It is the LG-202X concept (you can almost read "202X" on the fin). Lockheed (teamed with North American Rockwell Corporation) proposed the LG-202X in March 1972 for the Advanced Medium STOL Transport competition that spawned the YC-14 and YC-15 prototypes. The LG-202X was a fantastic design that incorporated blown leading and trailing edge flaps with four vectored thrust turbofan engines featuring Pegasus-style nozzles.

Hank58

Reaction score
How about this one....... from the collection.
The silver-painted, tee-tail model is not a proposed C-130 variant. It is the LG-202X concept (you can almost read "202X" on the fin). Lockheed (teamed with North American Rockwell Corporation) proposed the LG-202X in March 1972 for the Advanced Medium STOL Transport competition that spawned the YC-14 and YC-15 prototypes. The LG-202X was a fantastic design that incorporated blown leading and trailing edge flaps with four vectored thrust turbofan engines featuring Pegasus-style nozzles.
I'm going to update this comment to say that the model is actually the LG-203X variant (not the LG-202X) of Lockheed's 1972 AMST proposal (the distinctive crew cabin and cockpit windscreen and paradrop windows of the C-130 forward fuselage are pretty good clues). See the drawings I added today to the forum: "advanced-medium-stol-transport-amst-and-its-predecessors" for the family. The LG-203X proposal for the AMST demonstrator prototype was to use significant portions of the C-130 mid and forward fuselage as a cost savings measure to meet the tight cost requirement of the AMST RFP.

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Lockheed had old Project called C-130J,it was developed
from C-130E with increase aileron and rudder chords,wider u/c
track,improved braking system and additional armoured protection;
do you have a drawing to it ?,(of course I know there was a new Project
to lockheed in 1996 called C-130J ).

If it was the same design which I meant it,that's great ?.

hercules130

Reaction score
Great find, Overscan!

Seller's description:
Twenty-plus years ago the U.S. Government approached Lockheed Martin to see if their C-130 Hercules would be a good ELINT (ELectronic INTelligence - Spy) platform. Photo No. 10 illustrates the winning Boeing RC-135 Rivet Joint platform currently in use. Lockheed, in-turn, approached the Penwal company and asked them to produce a concept model as per their, and the government's, specifications. Penwal produced the solid resin auction model offered. Concept vehicles, and concept models are extremely hard - if not impossible - things to come by. Concept models of classified military aircraft are practically unheard-of. The model is fairly large with a 15" wingspan and a length of 14 ½". The model is solid and fairly heavy weighing 1 pound 8 ounces. There is some age cracking in the fuselage at the front and back wing root (see photo No. 8). The wood stand is in very good shape, still retaining its felt pads. This was obtained from the estate sale of a former Lockheed employee. We contacted Penwal who told us that this was the only one of these produced. This C-130 (never even assigned a designation by the U.S. government, i.e. RC-130) could easily be the signature item in even the most complete collections.
The horror

Mark Nankivil

Top Contributor
Reaction score
Good Day All -

For something slightly different.... Floats tied ito the existing landing gear structure and were apparently removable. From the Matt Rodina Collection, Greater St. Louis Air and Space Museum.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• zC-130 Floatplane Cut Sheet - Page 1.jpg
    zC-130 Floatplane Cut Sheet - Page 1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 49
  • zC-130 Floatplane Cut Sheet - Page 2.jpg
    zC-130 Floatplane Cut Sheet - Page 2.jpg
    994.2 KB · Views: 48

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
I have to say the supersonic A400M would be my choice too.
39818686-0-image-a-18_1614377269114.jpg

airman

Reaction score
Website
zeef.com
Surely interesting are the proposed versions of jet-engines and floatplane of C-130.

Pioneer

Seek out and close with the enemy
Reaction score
For frig sake, another British military cost-cutting exercise/Government Integrated Review - really???
I've really got to the point of asking 'what the hell is Britain up to'? Does it really know what it wants it's military to do?
Seriously, when is Britain going to realise it's no longer an empire and can't be politically committing it's military all around the world as if it was a full fledgling empire of yester year.....

Regards
Pioneer

Hood

Reaction score
Sigh, the DailyFail at it again with their infotaiment.

This was always the plan, the C-130J has used up most of its fatigue life in the Middle East and all the short-fuselage Js have long gone. The 2010 SDSR moved forward its retirement to 2022. Then the 2015 SDSR changed this and decided 14 would be given new wing centre boxes to allow them to serve until 2030 (or even 2035) and the first of 14 was only completed last August by Marshalls.
I doubt it would save much as Marshalls is likely to get a big cancellation fee on the £110mil contract. If only the MoD could make its mind up then it might avoid wasting time and effort and money in the first place.

sideshowbob9

Reaction score
As Hood mentions upthread, I thought this was always the plan, just a matter of the when. Surely, actually a good sign, that the A400M is maturing nicely? Plus the Js must be absolutely knackered after the past two decades!

The idea of any turboprop being acoustically stealthy is...well.....

sideshowbob9

Reaction score
Aaaaahhh, gotchya. I'm aware the A400M has had historical issues but I'm not remotely au fait with any of the latest developments or any lack thereof. Hopefully, the Atlas will be ticking over nicely by the J's OSD.