And why would the North Koreans do a "retrofit" of the old Vega-M from the 1970s when they are capable of producing their own PESA radars?
for the same reason most of us update parts instead of buying new cars every year, I guess.
Especially when we're on the poor side.

Given the apparent similarity to the Russian 30N6E Flap Lid B system I also question if that is really a indigenous system.
It's most likely developed from 30N6E radar, but why did you assume that North Korea could not produce it? They have technology at least of 1980s level. It's not that passive phased array radars are some super-secret technology that couldn't be reproduced.

GD5-Zju3-XAAAdm-Ah.jpg

:cool:have achieved this, so rumors that they are working on creating a domestically designed and produced fighter aircraft may come true
ipotesi-2.jpg

It's clear that at the moment at the very least DPRK has the ability to build a jet trainer, since all the systems required, crucially including the engine, have already been demonstrated on the SB-4.

If they add an afterburner to the engine then at the very least they have the capability to build something like the twin-engined CK-1 in capability/size/weight, either conventional or more likely with LO features.

The question is how high are they aiming, and the timescale they decided on building military aircraft.

PS: and if they want to, a turboprop prmary trainer can be built as well, since the engine is already flying on the SB-9.

North Korea produces a lot of mockups, which can broadly speaking be viewed as statements of intent. As with the case of missiles, wait until examples take flight, or what they have previously shown competencies in.

I was very bullish on them making successful solid-fueled ICBMs for a couple of years before they did, they had already tested examples of larger-diameter IRBMs, it was simply a case of further development, I am however much more pessimistic when it comes to competitive aircraft, high-quality gas turbines are very hard to make.

North Korea produces a lot of mockups, which can broadly speaking be viewed as statements of intent. As with the case of missiles, wait until examples take flight, or what they have previously shown competencies in.

I was very bullish on them making successful solid-fueled ICBMs for a couple of years before they did, they had already tested examples of larger-diameter IRBMs, it was simply a case of further development, I am however much more pessimistic when it comes to competitive aircraft, high-quality gas turbines are very hard to make.
There is footage released of both UAV's flying.
I agree about the manned aircraft, but a jet trainer, jet light strike, and turboprop trainer are well within current NK capability.

Most likely a non-afterburning Tumansky from the Mig-21 or J-7. I don't expect a new indigenous turbojet/fan design of that thrustrange.
Those (with high altitude modifications, which DPRK is probably quite capable of) powered yak-25rv, so other than low expected service life and thirstiness - they're fit for the job.

Last edited: