• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

North Korea indigenous aircraft

LVisingr

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
I just received this awesome book:

The Armed Forces of North Korea: On the Path of Songun

And the chapter about North Korean air force contains info (and even photos!) about several domestic aircraft projects, such as:

- single-engine propeller attack aircraft from 1970s, apparently a hybrid of Il-10 and Yak-18, maybe one prototype only
- twin-engine propeller attack and/or training aircraft from 1980s, apparently similar to Yak-6, only small series manufactured
- modified MiG-15UTI with a dorsal fuel tank, similar to the MiG-21SMT design

Geo

Reaction score

And the chapter about North Korean air force contains info (and even photos!) about several domestic aircraft projects, such as:

- single-engine propeller attack aircraft from 1970s, apparently a hybrid of Il-10 and Yak-18, maybe one prototype only
- twin-engine propeller attack and/or training aircraft from 1980s, apparently similar to Yak-6, only small series manufactured
About NK Fulcrums…

There are enough rumours about the supply of the MiG-29 to the DPRK, about the limited licensed production of these aircraft and also about the NK ability to keep these aircraft operational under embargos.

These rumours have a wide range - from a few serviceable pieces to several dozen aircraft, including a certain ability to produce aircraft till now. Apparently, the DPRK has the ability to repair even most components of RD-33 engines.

In any case, as recent parades show, NK technologies are in fact underestimated rather than overestimated… The DPRK modernized Fulcrum's avionics about 10 years ago, including the installation of big MFD in the cockpit:

KPAF_MiG-29.jpg

Source:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5fUrDww5Bc&t=1112s
(21:35)

This video is from 2014 - and in the meantime the DPRK has literally made a technological leap. We may be very surprised in the near future...

(Jinak tě srdečně zdravím. Jirka O. ;))

LVisingr

Reaction score
Yes, there are also several paragraphs about MiG-29s.
The book states that they were assembled in the DRPK and deeply modernized, MFD included.

Wyvern

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score

Are there any available pictures or drawings for these aircraft in the west, or are sources for such aircraft completely non-existent? Is any performance data or armament known?

LVisingr

Reaction score
Are there any available pictures or drawings for these aircraft in the west, or are sources for such aircraft completely non-existent? Is any performance data or armament known?

I have already tried to google something, but so far no success. In the book, there are several photos of the aircraft mentioned above, also two color profiles by Tom Cooper, and short descriptions and assessments.

Maro.Kyo

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score

About NK Fulcrums…

There are enough rumours about the supply of the MiG-29 to the DPRK, about the limited licensed production of these aircraft and also about the NK ability to keep these aircraft operational under embargos.

These rumours have a wide range - from a few serviceable pieces to several dozen aircraft, including a certain ability to produce aircraft till now. Apparently, the DPRK has the ability to repair even most components of RD-33 engines.

In any case, as recent parades show, NK technologies are in fact underestimated rather than overestimated… The DPRK modernized Fulcrum's avionics about 10 years ago, including the installation of big MFD in the cockpit:

View attachment 651193

Source:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5fUrDww5Bc&t=1112s
(21:35)

This video is from 2014 - and in the meantime the DPRK has literally made a technological leap. We may be very surprised in the near future...

(Jinak tě srdečně zdravím. Jirka O. ;))
Didn't knew about such efforts, probably overshadowed by their nuclear missile program. Even with those avionics improvements, I can't really think of those situations where a few dozen Fulcrums, including those that could have possibly been license produced in NK, doing much work in case an all-out war breaks out. Probably the reason these improvements were not widely known as well.

Foo Fighter

I came, I saw, I drank some tea (and had a bun).
Reaction score
That first picture resembles 5 O'clock Charlie.

Wyvern

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Is the armament for each aircraft type known?