• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Miles Tandem Wing Projects

W

Wingknut

Thanks very much, folks – all those points about pressurisation and fatigue (etc.) strike me as convincing.
Besides pressurisation worries and bird-strikes on the plexiglass nose, another concern I might have is the clearance for the ventral air intake on take-off – I worry a real Miles SST would just have scooped up anything moveable on its runway.
I like the 'Napkinwaffe' point too and (although I may be biased here) I think the Miles SST makes contemporary transonics like (e.g.) the DFS 346 look a bit puny. With that said, the Miles design seems just too big a leap into the dark, especially for a company whose main expertise lay with training aircraft.
Cheers, 'Wingknut'.

Spark

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
Wingknut said:
Thanks very much, folks – all those points about pressurisation and fatigue (etc.) strike me as convincing.
Besides pressurisation worries and bird-strikes on the plexiglass nose, another concern I might have is the clearance for the ventral air intake on take-off – I worry a real Miles SST would just have scooped up anything moveable on its runway.
I like the 'Napkinwaffe' point too and (although I may be biased here) I think the Miles SST makes contemporary transonics like (e.g.) the DFS 346 look a bit puny. With that said, the Miles design seems just too big a leap into the dark, especially for a company whose main expertise lay with training aircraft.
Cheers, 'Wingknut'.
Hi,
Whittle was already working on a supersonic tubofan with re-heat at that time.
me thinks the swept wing design is circa 1945/1946
The Lockheed "Sloggard" or "Sluggard" supersonic airliner circa end of 1945

Stargazer2006

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Reaction score
Very nice render! The only thing that bugs me a bit is the choice of color. You want a different kind of green, with more yellow in it probably, and slightly darker.

RAP

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Top Contributor
Reaction score
3-view of the M.39B Libellula. A 5/8 scale flying model of this aircraft was flown in July 1943, pilot George H. Miles.

Attachments

Avimimus

Reaction score
I assume it is a glider for a glider tug to tug?

blackkite

Don't laugh, don't cry, don't even curse, but.....
Reaction score
GTX said:
Not sure how the Airspeed Horsa fits into this?
The second project is a glider tug which able to tow the Horsa. Please watch explanation of the second picture.

Johnbr

Reaction score
:)Miles M.39B Libellula
General characteristics
Crew: 1
Length: 6.76 m
Wingspan: 11.43 m rear wing, front wing
Height: 2.82 m
Wing area: 17.42 m2 rear wing 5.73 forward wing
Aspect ratio: Front wing 10.1, Rear wing 7.5
Airfoil:
Front wing: NACA 23018 at root, NACA 2412 at tip
Rear wing: NACA 23021 at root, NACA 2415 at tip
Empty weight: 1,091 kg
Gross weight: 1,270 kg
Fuel capacity: 113.65 l
Sweepback on leading edge rear wing 21° 0′ 48″
Powerplant: 2 × de Havilland Gipsy Major IC inline piston engine, 140 hp (100 kW)
Maximum speed: 164 km/h
Stall speed: 95 km/h flaps down
Rate of climb: 5.6 m/s
Wing loading: 55 kg/m2
Power/mass: 0.16 kW/kg

Attachments

riggerrob

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Robinson got it mostly correct about wing sweep.

We doubt if Miles early swept wings had anything to do with supersonic airflow.
Rather, swept wings provided two benefits: yaw stability and balance.
Swept wings place tip rudders farther aft of the centre of gravity, improving both yaw stability and yaw control.
Balance is aided by installing main wings aft of the centre of gravity. If you want a short fuselage, then you need to sweep wings.
Miles tandem wing/canards resemble Burt Rutan’s canards (Vari Viggen, Vari EZ, Long EZ, ARES, Solitaire motorglider, Beechcraft Starship, etc.) in planform. His first canard - Vari Viggen) had a straight trailing edge, but a massive cut-out for the propeller. The propeller and engine had to be mounted that far forward for balance. Rutan uses swept main wings to keep their lift aft of the centre of gravity (rear passenger’s belt buckle). Rutan achieves pitch stability by moving the centre of gravity ahead of the main wing and heavily-loading the canard. Sweep is doubly important with pusher propellers (Republic Seabee and Sea Rey).

Schneiderman

Reaction score
On the aerodynamics of the Miles Libellula tandem-wing aircraft concept, 1941 – 1947
Brian J Brinkworth FRAeS

https://www.aerosociety.com/publications/jah-on-the-aerodynamics-of-the-miles-libellula-tandem-wing-aircraft-concept-1941-1947/

hesham

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
Schneiderman said:
On the aerodynamics of the Miles Libellula tandem-wing aircraft concept, 1941 – 1947
Brian J Brinkworth FRAeS

https://www.aerosociety.com/publications/jah-on-the-aerodynamics-of-the-miles-libellula-tandem-wing-aircraft-concept-1941-1947/
Amazing find my dear Schneiderman.

Attachments

taranakiman

CLEARANCE: Restricted
Reaction score
Hi people, I am trying to find 3 views etc of the Boulton Paul P.99 as I wish to make an RC model of it. Is there anyone out there that can oblige? Stay safe in these tough times.