a wooden board keeps the panel from falling when the control cylinder is removed
attachment points of the front adjustable panel

movable curtain (two-piece)
rear adjustable panel
so the panel falling like that is simply due to the control cylinder were removed rather than the actual position on flight right?

a wooden board keeps the panel from falling when the control cylinder is removed
attachment points of the front adjustable panel

movable curtain (two-piece)
rear adjustable panel
also, why is the surface of the inlet ramp looks so much different in this photo:
Mig-31 inlet close up 3.jpg

On the morning and night of February 26, several explosions were heard near the Machulishchy air base.
A MiG-31К with the tail number RF-95194 caught fire on one of its two engines. The fire was accompanied by an explosion-like sound – it was the sound of the engine pumping after the fire.

Militarnyi also reported that on December 25, the engine of a MiG-31K fighter jet caught fire while attempting to take off from the Machulishchy airfield.

In 1994 there were some exercises with MiG-31. There was a record breaking distance with K-37 missile;
How far was that kill?
I vaguely remember some source stated that the kill taken 304 km aways with the help from a Flanker closer to target
Yet, Mig-31 book by Yefim Gordon and Dmitriy Komissarov said the kill happened at 228 km only. Which one is correct?

On August 18, 1993, a unique experiment was performed to intercept and defeat a target. Operating parameters: MiG-31M flight altitude - 13400 m, speed - 669 m/s, Tu-16 target flight altitude - 10300 m, speed - 189 m/s, target detection range - 319 km, missile launch range - 228 km. The SUV (Weapons Control System) was prepared for flight by G.V.Petryaev, V.V.Samokhvalov, V.A.Alekseev, S.B.Kukushkin and M.B.Shutnikov. At the same time, the scientific and technical reserve accumulated by the NIIP and the Mikoyan Design Bureau within the framework of the now discontinued MiG-31M interceptor program is widely used. It is worth recalling that during the tests of this aviation complex in 1998, the maximum range of hitting an air target was reached, equal to 228 km. To date, this is a kind of world record, marked, by the way, by the congratulations of the President of Russia. It should be said that 228 km was not the limit for the upgraded "Barrier": long-range shooting was limited by the conditions of the landfill.
Similarly, due to the testing ground conditions, it was not possible at one time to launch six new long-range air-to-air missiles at six air targets simultaneously.

Attachments

• 31M.jpg
    31M.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 80
On August 18, 1993, a unique experiment was performed to intercept and defeat a target. Operating parameters: MiG-31M flight altitude - 13400 m, speed - 669 m/s, Tu-16 target flight altitude - 10300 m, speed - 189 m/s, target detection range - 319 km, missile launch range - 228 km. The SUV (Weapons Control System) was prepared for flight by G.V.Petryaev, V.V.Samokhvalov, V.A.Alekseev, S.B.Kukushkin and M.B.Shutnikov. At the same time, the scientific and technical reserve accumulated by the NIIP and the Mikoyan Design Bureau within the framework of the now discontinued MiG-31M interceptor program is widely used. It is worth recalling that during the tests of this aviation complex in 1998, the maximum range of hitting an air target was reached, equal to 228 km. To date, this is a kind of world record, marked, by the way, by the congratulations of the President of Russia. It should be said that 228 km was not the limit for the upgraded "Barrier": long-range shooting was limited by the conditions of the landfill.
Similarly, due to the testing ground conditions, it was not possible at one time to launch six new long-range air-to-air missiles at six air targets simultaneously.
Thank you a lot, what is that snip from btw?

By the way. I found a source where it is said about the 2.6-fold increased combat effectiveness of the MiG-31BM when working on air targets. This applies to the early version, with the ability to work "air - ground"

Attachments

• MiG-31.pdf
    349.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 01.JPG
    01.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 90
The fleet must be flying a lot of hours doing top cover. I think there are only a hundred or so fully modernized airframes (not counting the Ks which apparently have no A2A after thatvupdate).

The fleet must be flying a lot of hours doing top cover. I think there are only a hundred or so fully modernized airframes (not counting the Ks which apparently have no A2A after thatvupdate).
So K variants can no longer carry A2A armaments after Kinzhal update?

Wll, certainly no Long-range missiles. Probably no R-73s too, as there are not photos of 31K with pylons under wing.

The pylons under the wing can be removed and hung in half an hour. On the MiG-31M, the inner pylon of the wing could carry the R-37, probably the MiG-31BM can also do this

The pylons under the wing can be removed and hung in half an hour. On the MiG-31M, the inner pylon of the wing could carry the R-37, probably the MiG-31BM can also do this
I think that Kinzhal eats too much weight and drag so likely 31 going w/o anything to improve flight performance.

The Ks are old airframes that weren’t fully updated to the new standard. But I think the mod also removes even the previous A2A capability. I’m not sure the radar is even functional.

An old photo of the airfield repair plant in the city of Rzhev. Count how many MiG-31s are here
And now look at this place in Google maps... ;)

Ржев

175711.jpg

Attachments

• MiG-31_storage.jpg
    MiG-31_storage.jpg
    424.7 KB · Views: 48
  • MiG-31_storage2[2].JPG
    MiG-31_storage2[2].JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 37
  • MiG-31_storage3.jpg
    MiG-31_storage3.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 37
  • 4NhmwTVnHDM.jpg
    4NhmwTVnHDM.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 107913.jpg
    107913.jpg
    758.6 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Count how many MiG-31s are here
I can see something like 42 - what's your reckoning?
edit: maybe 43+1?
1517+1 or so remaining? (the +1 being the dismembered fuselage)

Last edited:
I think that Kinzhal eats too much weight and drag so likely 31 going w/o anything to improve flight performance.
The ratio of L / D MiG-31 without a missele or with the rear position of the missele 10.6 - 10.8, with a missele 10.2. Losses are 4 - 6 %

Attachments

• 31.JPG
    31.JPG
    222.7 KB · Views: 106
I think there is no radar on the plane. Because the infrared unit 8TK has been replaced with a video camera, this can be seen in the photo. Most likely, instead of a radar, there is a lead ring weighing approximately 150 - 250 kg. The operator in the rear cabin is needed to work with a nuclear warhead.

Attachments

• 8TK.JPG
    8TK.JPG
    160.3 KB · Views: 119
I think there is no radar on the plane. Because the infrared unit 8TK has been replaced with a video camera, this can be seen in the photo. Most likely, instead of a radar, there is a lead ring weighing approximately 150 - 250 kg. The operator in the rear cabin is needed to work with a nuclear warhead.
Radar is present

Radar is present
If that is the case, do you know if the MiG-31K retains the capability to carry/fire missiles from the wing pylons? Also, was the radar upgraded like on MiG-31BM?

Radar is present
How do you know?

Radar is present
If that is the case, do you know if the MiG-31K retains the capability to carry/fire missiles from the wing pylons? Also, was the radar upgraded like on MiG-31BM?
Yes