A flying iskander with a lot of interesting upgrades. Essentially s totally new missile and variant. I dont understand why the tu-22m3 is not shown carrying these things as it seems much more capable than thr kh-32

I suspect the Tu-22M3 fleet can’t integrate with the weapon without the new upgrade. The backfires photographed in Syria still seemed to be sporting Kh-22, which would indicate baseline bombers can’t use new weapons IMO.

A flying iskander with a lot of interesting upgrades. Essentially s totally new missile and variant. I dont understand why the tu-22m3 is not shown carrying these things as it seems much more capable than thr kh-32
Does make one wonder how many would fit in each of the two bays on a Blackjack.

mig-31k at khmeimim air base syria

apparently there were already some test launches
article_62111611070338_20920426.png

Does the kinzhal have a RAM covering??? I think I heard somewhere about this. Just wondering from this picture I saw. kingal11.jpg

Also as far as the tu-22m3 bays I saw a picture where even the kh-32 isnt being semi recessed anymore. So I would assume the kinzhal on tu-22m3 would be two on each wing root and one under the fuselage. Here is a pic I saw where the semi recess isnt used and instead an under fuselage pylon is used. tu22m3.jpg

Rather ablation material for thermal protection. I don‘t know if you can join this with RAM or it even make sense. I assume that at hypersonic speed air is converted to plasma and should reflect radar signal itself.

I had updated trajectory analysis for Iskander-M or Kh-47M Kinzhal
litzj, there is no such Kh-47M missile! This is a mistake. The plane is called MiG-31I - it's official
Complex 9-A-7660 Dagger, missile 9-S-7760 / product 292
Thx for fixing it :) it is very complex name though

The Armed forces of the Russian Federation destroyed a large underground warehouse of missiles and aviation ammunition of the Ukrainian troops in the settlement of Delyatin, Ivano-Frankivsk region, with the Dagger aviation missile system with hypersonic aeroballistic missiles. This was announced by the official representative of the Russian Defense Ministry, Major General Igor Konashenkov.

View: https://youtu.be/J11j-SeZiNo
No secondaries? :confused:

Relegating MiG-31 to a ballistic missile launch vehicle is truly a sad and whimpering end of the road to such a potentially great program. Could have been an air superioty program like no other. Potentially, because like MiG-25 and every Mikoyan program, it was an overall hack of a program. Never had a great vision to age and did nothing to resist obsolescence.

Or it's not the impact from KInzhal but something smaller.

The War Zone claims to have geolocated the video to a farm in eastern Ukraine, not an arms storage facility in western Ukraine. (See the bottom of the article.)

So in what was supposed to be some kind of manly man flexing his muscles look at me I'm dangerous deterrence strike they used a hyperadvanced multi-million dollar missile and... Hit a farm. In east Ukraine, not west Ukraine.

Much speed, very accuracy.

As someone on another board said, "This just points to the fact that the Russians are so out of options they're already at the "Wunderwaffe" stage of defeat."

Supposedly an undergrounds arms store but obviously NOT underground. Hyperbole obviously.

Yeah... look at the infrastructure in and around that place. Dirt roads that one find at pastery/farms.

If it was to be any kind of military Factory.. well;

1st. The Ukrainian would have moved it far to the west weeks and months ago
2nd. You need a larger area, with some concrete or asfalt roads for heavy trucks to ship in and out materials, end products one would think.
3rd. There should be some kind of cock-off from chemicals and secondaries... there was none.

On the otherhand, i see some military wehicles of some kind around the Area on that footage.

Relegating MiG-31 to a ballistic missile launch vehicle is truly a sad and whimpering end of the road to such a potentially great program. Could have been an air superioty program like no other. Potentially, because like MiG-25 and every Mikoyan program, it was an overall hack of a program. Never had a great vision to age and did nothing to resist obsolescence.
The number of MiG-31 converted to the K variant appears to be less than two dozen from non modernized airframes; it doesn’t seem like a major outlay of resources. AFAIK there are more unmodified MiG-31 in storage.

Wut

The number of MiG-31 converted to the K variant appears to be less than two dozen from non modernized airframes; it doesn’t seem like a major outlay of resources. AFAIK there are more unmodified MiG-31 in storage.
They have Mig-31's flying with R-33M, R-77-1 etc

Not all Migs are converted into the Naval Kinzal platform

MiG-31 is a highly under-estimated platform. MiG-31 is a big improvement over its predecessor, the MiG-25P, and it was built more rugged. Under the Algerians they utilized MiG-25 as F-15 counterparts and have demonstrated the agility at lower speeds was under-appreciated by the Russians. The MiG-25 was always dangerous when it faced Western aircraft and few were shot down when the MiG-25 pilot had situational awareness by ground control or airborne radar. They were untouchable when provided adequate information to prevent being engaged. MiG-31 is more capable and surely has better situational awareness by default. They also have weapons better suited to the slashing attacks the F-15s faced over Iraq.

MiG-31 is a highly under-estimated platform. MiG-31 is a big improvement over its predecessor, the MiG-25P, and it was built more rugged. Under the Algerians they utilized MiG-25 as F-15 counterparts and have demonstrated the agility at lower speeds was under-appreciated by the Russians. The MiG-25 was always dangerous when it faced Western aircraft and few were shot down when the MiG-25 pilot had situational awareness by ground control or airborne radar. They were untouchable when provided adequate information to prevent being engaged. MiG-31 is more capable and surely has better situational awareness by default. They also have weapons better suited to the slashing attacks the F-15s faced over Iraq.
Yeah but Mig-31 is still a very niche platform. What usage does it for example have over Ukraine now..?
Zippo.
That is why they use it for patrol of Barent sea, down Norways coastline and in Far East Russia where there are weast empty airspaces and territory.

The MiG-25 had agility at lower speeds? Versus what? I have trouble thinking of a fighter from the 1960s onward that wouldn't trounce a MiG-25 that somehow let itself get dragged into a low speed dogfight. Same would go for the MiG-31 although with the AA-11 it isn't necessarily doomed.

I don't think either aircraft was underestimated. If anything the MiG-25 was at first overestimated as being a highly capable air-superiority fighter when it was a thoroughbred interceptor.

haavarla-
How would the Ukraine shoot it down if used within its best parameters? Very unlikely with support. And they could have just as easily gave it Russian SDB-I counterparts that could have been released well outside any engagement window for S-300. It's about focus on strengths of a platform.

Colonial-Marine-
F-14 was limited to 6.5-7.5 Gs, depending on the era, which was still good enough to allow it to maneuver with much smaller fighters. What we know now is that MiG-25 could have withstood greater than the 4.5G safety limits, and the missiles were designed to work under 8G manuevers. If MiG-25 was used as an all-around airframe it would have impressed.

I'm not aware of any Russian SDB-I counterpart and it seems unlikely the Russians would release any of their hundred + interceptors into a ground attack/strike role when they have a similar number of Su-34s dedicated to that role and well over a hundred Su-30s that are dual role. I think there's no shortage of Su-24s either if modern avionics/performance were no issue. The MiGs probably reserved for intercept missions.

They store 85% of the MiG-31 airframes today. There is no shortage of airframes but there is a shortage of missions for obvious reasons. Like I said, it is a sad and whimpering end of the road to such a potentially great program.

Su-24M isn't exactly going to reach 80,000 feet for releasing glide bombs at speeds approaching Mach 3 anytime soon, if ever. You are correct, MiG-31 has no SDB-I counterpart. Su-24M will never be equipped with an SDB-I counterpart, because its not well equipped to support something like that. But MiG-31 is built around digital technology that could support something akin to SDB-I. We already know supercruising F-22A can turn an SDB into a quite nicely ranged threat. I can only surmise that the higher and faster flying MiG-31 would be a great platform for something similar.

So I was wondering if any body could answer this, what was the mig-31M upgrade going to do? Seems like a lot considering how much whight it was adding to the airframe, but how dose it compare to the mig-31BM upgrade the mig-31 finally did get.

Also any truth to the rumors that China was considering mig-31M's in the 90's? not a lot of evidence I've been able to find for it but I figured if there is any I would be able to find it here.