That is along the lines of what I was thinking, thanks for proving I sometime get things right.

Regards,

New one:

FVHsfVqWAAApl2D

Yea, Chile would be a solid contender for it. They already have a program for the modernization of their 2A4’s and Marders, and I would expect them to also upgrade their stock of 1A5’s that they have in service.

Yea, Chile would be a solid contender for it. They already have a program for the modernization of their 2A4’s and Marders, and I would expect them to also upgrade their stock of 1A5’s that they have in service.
That might be an answer to the Czech statements about exchange of their T72 transferred to Ukraine. If I recall properly it was said that they (Chechs) will receive something between Leo 1 and Leo 2.

That might be an answer to the Czech statements about exchange of their T72 transferred to Ukraine. If I recall properly it was said that they (Chechs) will receive something between Leo 1 and Leo 2.

In May, they said they were getting Leopard 2A4.

Battlefield-reconnaissance and -surveillance tank 'Pfadfinder'(Pathfinder/Boy Scout) based on Leopard 1 chassis

This is fascinating. Most of the sensors are fairly obvious, but the large multi-segment box on the right side of the mast (left in the picture) has me stumped.

Battlefield-reconnaissance and -surveillance tank 'Pfadfinder'(Pathfinder/Boy Scout) based on Leopard 1 chassis

This is fascinating. Most of the sensors are fairly obvious, but the large multi-segment box on the right side of the mast (left in the picture) has me stumped.
The article only has a single sentence on that project:
Armored battlefield reconnaissance and surveillance vehicle intended as a pathfinder with long-range electronic, optical, and acoustic observation equipment for day and night operations. (Translation)
so maybe the box could be a microphone? otoh why wouldnt that use a parabolic dish?

Armored battlefield reconnaissance and surveillance vehicle intended as a pathfinder with long-range electronic, optical, and acoustic observation equipment for day and night operations. (Translation)
so maybe the box could be a microphone? otoh why wouldnt that use a parabolic dish?

I suspect the two round objects on booms are acoustic sensors -- they looks a lot like modern gunshot detector installations.

I suspect the two round objects on booms are acoustic sensors -- they looks a lot like modern gunshot detector installations.
i think i got it,
considering that its a project from the 60s it could very well be an IR floodlight for active night-vision
compare it to this picture of one on a tank

Attachments

• irfloodlight.png
    irfloodlight.png
    394.4 KB · Views: 201

i think i got it,
considering that its a project from the 60s it could very well be an IR floodlight for active night-vision
compare it to this picture of one on a tank

Yeah, that looks very plausible.

They need some consistency in that there communication. There should ALWAYS be an anouncement of the word 'Fire' or Firing 'NOW'.

Here are some renderings by Mirukii on ModLand.net ( https://www.modland.net/world-of-ta...otyp-b1-remodel-leopard-pt-a-replacement.html ) of Rheinstahl-Henschel's Prototype I B, armed with the 105mm Royal Ordnance L7 rifled tank gun and equipped with a six-wheel suspension, which competed against but lost to Porsche's submission for West Germany's Leopard 1:
Rheinstahl-Henschel Leopard Prototype I B (1).png
Rheinstahl-Henschel Leopard Prototype I B (2).png
Rheinstahl-Henschel Leopard Prototype I B (3).png
Additional information on Porsche and Rheinstahl-Henschel's competing prototypes for West Germany's Leopard 1 can be found here: https://forum.warthunder.com/index....d-prototype-series-germany-post-war-vehicles/

The French Giat Industries teamed up with DMD from the Slovak Republic to explore the development of a low profile turret armed with a 120 mm smoothbore gun and a Giat autoloader designed for Leclerc to provide a cost effective upgrade package for older main battle tanks (MBTs).
The proposed T-21 turret is designed to be mounted on the T-72 series MBTs, thus replacing the Soviet-made 125mm gun and older Western MBTs such as the M60 and Leopard 1, which are armed with 105mm guns. The T-21 weighs 15 tons compared to the 18 tons of the Leclerc turret
Xv2NIndcjA.jpg

The Leopard C2A2-HR BRM is an improved chassis of the Leopard tank, on which a two-man modified Arrowpointe LAV III turret is mounted.
armament 40 mm cannon, 7.62 machine gun and mk 19 grenade launcher
In combat conditions, the Leopard C2A2-HR BRM is equipped with a set of additional modular armor protection AMAR (Advanced Modular Armor Protection), developed by IBD. The kit is an additional third-generation armor protection modules installed on the hull and turret of the vehicle. Additional rubber-fabric anti-dust skirts are installed on the lower part of additional armor modules on the sides of the hull .
An integral system of the machine has become an air conditioning system that can operate both in normal mode and in contaminated areas, together with a system of collective protection against weapons of mass destruction.
In total, there are currently 16 Canadian Leopard C2A2-HR Heavy BRMs in Afghanistan.
Wr0FvGQvbq.jpg 8a48f0926cb18deb1d66f05fb82253ab80db8b0cba3268c3de273331f5251d34.jpg Leopard-C2A2-HR-01.jpg

The auxiliary armament of the Leopard consists of two 7.62 mm MG-3A1 machine guns, one of which is paired with a cannon, and the other, anti-aircraft, is placed on a turret near the commander's hatch. The total ammunition load of machine guns is 5200 rounds. In some variants, the anti-aircraft machine gun can be replaced by a 12.7 mm M2
Almost immediately after the Leopard entered service in 1965, Porsche received a contract to study further improvements to the existing design, pending deliveries of the MBT-70 in the mid-1970s. This original Gilded Leopard (vergoldeter Leopard) program expired in 1967 without a production order. In 1967, it already became obvious that the MBT-70 would be unsuccessful. An agreement between the United States and the Federal Republic of Germany prohibited any national development of MBTs other than technological experiments, so a new tank project was started under the designation Experimentalentwicklung or "experimental development", of which two prototypes were built.

When the MBT-70 program was completed, another contract was offered called Boar (Eber) with a focus on using as much technology from the MBT-70 as possible, but without the problematic XM150 152 mm (6.0 in) in combination. gun/rocket launcher MGM-51 Shillelagh . Two prototype cars were built using a new chassis from Porsche with road wheels from the MBT-70 and the original Leopard engine. This was combined with a new Wegmann turret with a 120 mm Rheinmetall MBT-70 smoothbore gun. Some also mounted the original 105mm L7.

They were considered promising enough that seven more were ordered, this time with an MTU engine developed for the MBT-70. When this happened, the Experimentalentwicklung team unveiled their alternate design, which they called the Keiler (synonymous with Eber). In 1971 Defense Minister Helmut Schmidt decided to abandon the Eber project and build 17 Leopard 2 prototypes based on the Keiler design, which had a slanted armor spaced turret. The maximum weight was to be 50 tons.

During the 1973 Yom Kippur War, tanks of the 1950s and 1960s generation were heavily hit by wire-guided missiles, and it became clear that vastly improved armor protection was needed. It was decided to allow the weight of the tank to be increased to the next classification, the 60th class of military load (tons). New design work was started, replacing the spaced armor with much denser perforated armor. The new design would complement and occasionally replace the Leopard in the armies of many countries after the Cold War.

A steering wheel is used to control the rotation. The possibility of duplicated movement control from the commander is provided. In addition, a device has been developed for remote control of the movement of the tank via a cable or radio channel (for example, when overcoming water obstacles along the bottom)

The LMS provides for duplicated fire control from the commander.

The tank is covered with deforming paint, making it difficult to detect both day and infrared night vision devices. Reducing the heat radiation of the power plant is ensured by mixing the engine exhaust gases with the air flow from the cooling system fans in a special chamber

Last edited:
The French Giat Industries teamed up with DMD from the Slovak Republic to explore the development of a low profile turret armed with a 120 mm smoothbore gun and a Giat autoloader designed for Leclerc to provide a cost effective upgrade package for older main battle tanks (MBTs).
The proposed T-21 turret is designed to be mounted on the T-72 series MBTs, thus replacing the Soviet-made 125mm gun and older Western MBTs such as the M60 and Leopard 1, which are armed with 105mm guns. The T-21 weighs 15 tons compared to the 18 tons of the Leclerc turret
View attachment 700706

The Leopard C2A2-HR BRM is an improved chassis of the Leopard tank, on which a two-man modified Arrowpointe LAV III turret is mounted.
In combat conditions, the Leopard C2A2-HR BRM is equipped with a set of additional modular armor protection AMAR (Advanced Modular Armor Protection), developed by IBD. The kit is an additional third-generation armor protection modules installed on the hull and turret of the vehicle. Additional rubber-fabric anti-dust skirts are installed on the lower part of additional armor modules on the sides of the hull .
An integral system of the machine has become an air conditioning system that can operate both in normal mode and in contaminated areas, together with a system of collective protection against weapons of mass destruction.
In total, there are currently 16 Canadian Leopard C2A2-HR Heavy BRMs in Afghanistan.
View attachment 700707View attachment 700708View attachment 700709
Are you sure that this is not a modeller what if?

In the late 90s there were plans for a new artillery-recon/forward observer tank based on a Leopard 1 that had its gun removed. It was supposed to enter service together with the PzH2000 but was cancelled for budget reasons.
Article (in German)

Attachments

• BeobachtungspanzerLeopardFront.jpg
    BeobachtungspanzerLeopardFront.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 114
  • BeobachtungspanzerLeopardBack.jpg
    BeobachtungspanzerLeopardBack.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 123
  • PrototypBeobachtungspanzerLeo1.jpg
    PrototypBeobachtungspanzerLeo1.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
In the late 90s there were plans for a new artillery-recon/forward observer tank based on a Leopard 1 that had its gun removed. It was supposed to enter service together with the PzH2000 but was cancelled for budget reasons.
Article (in German)
This reminded me of the current Hellenic Army Leopard 1V-MP (unofficial designation as far as I know). It's a base Leopard 1V acquired from Netherlands with an added Pearson Full Width Mine Plow. The gun was removed, possibly to reduce weight and in turn cause less stress to the powerpack and suspension. Not sure how many Leopard 1Vs were modified to this standard.

Attachments

• 1636743265105730501picture-10.jpg
    1636743265105730501picture-10.jpg
    318.1 KB · Views: 98
  • Greek Army Leopard 1 V mine plou_01.jpg
    Greek Army Leopard 1 V mine plou_01.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 69
  • Greek Army Leopard 1 V mine plou_05.jpg
    Greek Army Leopard 1 V mine plou_05.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 72
  • leopard-1v-with-pearson-engineering-fwmp_2536245501_o.jpg
    leopard-1v-with-pearson-engineering-fwmp_2536245501_o.jpg
    327.3 KB · Views: 70
  • 3LPHpi6.jpeg
    3LPHpi6.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 140

Dogwar.ru seems not to have understood that the Leopard C2A2-HR was a 'what-if' concept created by Albertan modeller (and all-around CF Leo expert) Jason Bobrowich. It first appeared in 2008 on the old Modern Canadian Vehicles discussion group.

-- https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/mod...opard-c2a2-hr-heavy-reconnaissance-t1331.html

Article (in German)
That and being pointless comes to mind. Far better and cheaper platforms for that task.

Came across this, from :-

'The Vickers Tanks: from landships to Challenger', Christopher F. Foss and Peter McKenzie, Patrick Stephens Ltd., 1988 ISBN 1-85260-141-8, pp.238-9.

"VARMA SERIES 1
This is a passive, high-density armour that can be designed for applique instaliation on a wide range of solid RHA (rolled homogenous armour) vehicles such as the Leopard 1, M48/M60 and Centurion, and provides a high degree of protection against kinetic energy and chemical energy attack, without the use of explosives.
Field trials with prototype modules were already under way by early 1988.
At present, VARMA Series 1 is understood to be of the laminate type, but ceramics are also under consideration to provide lighter vehicles, such as APCs, with protection from RPG-7 and 30 mm APDS attack.
On a tank turret, it would typically be fitted over the front, sides and forward part of the roof in a series of panels which could easily be fixed using simple workshop equipment.

VARMA SERIES 2
This is the reactive explosive member of the Vickers family of armour which gives a very high degree of protection against shaped charge attack, a high level of protection against self-forging fragments and degrades, to a certain extent, long rod penetrators.
It consists of small explosive panels that are fitted to the front and sides of the turret and the forward part of the turret roof as well as on the glacis plate, upper hull sides and skirts. in addition to offering this for MBTs, Vickers Defence Systems will also offer it for lighter armoured vehicles such as the VFM 5
Battle Tank.
The Vickers VARMA Series 2 armour system cannot be detonated by small arms fire, shell fragments, vibrations or mishandling and can be treated as a normal ammunition store. It is envisaged that for
most countries, AFVs would be fitted with the mounting points for VARMA Series 2 armour, but this would normally only be fitted in times of tension or war."

varma 1.png varma 2.png

cheers,
Robin.

Came across this, from :-

'The Vickers Tanks: from landships to Challenger', Christopher F. Foss and Peter McKenzie, Patrick Stephens Ltd., 1988 ISBN 1-85260-141-8, pp.238-9.

"VARMA SERIES 1
This is a passive, high-density armour that can be designed for applique instaliation on a wide range of solid RHA (rolled homogenous armour) vehicles such as the Leopard 1, M48/M60 and Centurion, and provides a high degree of protection against kinetic energy and chemical energy attack, without the use of explosives.
Field trials with prototype modules were already under way by early 1988.
At present, VARMA Series 1 is understood to be of the laminate type, but ceramics are also under consideration to provide lighter vehicles, such as APCs, with protection from RPG-7 and 30 mm APDS attack.
On a tank turret, it would typically be fitted over the front, sides and forward part of the roof in a series of panels which could easily be fixed using simple workshop equipment.

VARMA SERIES 2
This is the reactive explosive member of the Vickers family of armour which gives a very high degree of protection against shaped charge attack, a high level of protection against self-forging fragments and degrades, to a certain extent, long rod penetrators.
It consists of small explosive panels that are fitted to the front and sides of the turret and the forward part of the turret roof as well as on the glacis plate, upper hull sides and skirts. in addition to offering this for MBTs, Vickers Defence Systems will also offer it for lighter armoured vehicles such as the VFM 5
Battle Tank.
The Vickers VARMA Series 2 armour system cannot be detonated by small arms fire, shell fragments, vibrations or mishandling and can be treated as a normal ammunition store. It is envisaged that for
most countries, AFVs would be fitted with the mounting points for VARMA Series 2 armour, but this would normally only be fitted in times of tension or war."

View attachment 701590View attachment 701591

cheers,
Robin.
Maybe like this?
1686972593997.png
1686972753258.png
on Vickers Mk 3