I've attempted to once before request digitization from USNA but have been shot down. I'd need a private investigator of some sort to do so.

The site says it is not yet digitalized.
Right, and as such you would need to hire someone to take pictures of the plan. Someone who would be capable of getting access and likely lives in the area.
I've asked them before to digitize certain plans (some of these that have been linked, ironically) but they refused.

Very sad to see that you need to pay so much and cross so much red tape just to get something simple done.

Do you have any blueprints/drawings of german battlecarrier projects like Großflugzeugkreuzer A II, A IIa, A III and A IV?

Your best chance to get into National Archives goodies is some really high-rank military officer/staff (politician perhaps).

Are there any other battlecruisers planned for kriegsmarine besides O-class? I heard about KW 45 but Idont´t know anythink about it.

Are there any other battlecruisers planned for kriegsmarine besides O-class? I heard about KW 45 but Idont´t know anythink about it.
I have some some plans for KW45/50 and some data. A lot of info is currently unknown or is generally unknown due to it being a private design that was drawn up by the Kriegsmarinewerft. The KW in the design name is short for "Kriegsmarinewerft".

In 1939, 2 versions of this project were submitted for consideration by the Kriegsmarine shipbuilding commission ( German: Neubauausschuss ): KW45 and KW50 .

They slightly differed from each other in displacement , armor, and also in size. Armament and layout were identical.

KW45:
Displacement: 45,000 Tons
-
Dimensions:
•Length: 984 Feet
•Beam: 108 Feet
•Draft: 29 Feet
-
Powerplant: DPU, 300,000 hp
-
Speed: 37 Knots
-
Armor:
Belt: 200mm
Deck: 115mm
(Note: My source has listed "towers" but I have no idea what those are referring to. Not conning towers or turret faces. I'll edit this if I figure it out.)
-
Armament:
•Main Battery: 4x2 380mm SK C/34
•Secondary: 4x3 150mm SK C/25
•Anti-Aircraft: 8x2 37mm SK C/30 / 4x2 105mm SK C/33
Torpedoes: 2x4 533mm TA
-
Aircraft:
•X3 Arado Ar 196
--------------------
KW50:
Displacement: 50,000 Tons
-
Dimensions:
•Length: 984 Feet
•Beam: 118 Feet
•Draft: 29 Feet
-
Powerplant: DPU, 300,000 hp
-
Speed: 35 Knots
-
Armor:
Belt: 300mm
Deck: 115mm
-
Armament:
•Main Battery: 4x2 380mm SK C/34
•Secondary: 4x3 150mm SK C/25
•Anti-Aircraft: 8x2 37mm SK C/30 / 4x2 105mm SK C/33
•Torpedoes: 2x4 533mm TA
-
Aircraft:
•X3 Arado Ar 196
--------------------
Note: The two KW designs looked nearly exactly the same. However, if you look at the top left on the blueprints, you can see a version with 3 propeller, and a slightly visible version with 4. I think KW50 had 4 propellers, since it was the largest of the two. If I am mistaken I will correct it.
Or if it was just a proposed planned selection of areas propellers could have gone I will correct this if someone points it out.

Attachments

• KW45.jpg.5296453f68cd8a794afca262a53cc6ca.jpg
    KW45.jpg.5296453f68cd8a794afca262a53cc6ca.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
An English translation of what it says. Probably not an accurate translation.
Also, are they referring to the WW1 ships Moltke, Goeben, Seydlitz? Or are those supposedly the names for the O class. As far as I know, the O class never had names (or at least names that haven't been revealed). I know that the H class ships could have been named Hutten and Berlichingen since apparently those are the instances of names that were involved with said ships.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221219-145837.png
    Screenshot_20221219-145837.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 166
Your botched translations already given, they implied Kriegsmarine battlecruisers were the successors of the Imperial battlecruisers, hence the name mentions to the old dogs, H-class naming were purely speculative as far i know of.

KW45 and 50 have 5 shafts, because they both designed/proposed with high cutting edge propulsion at that time, some variants show different placements for diesel generators and turbines (either 3 turbine shafts, 2 diesel or 4 turbine, 1 diesel etc).

"Towers" can be turret barbatte or conning tower.

Your botched translations already given, they implied Kriegsmarine battlecruisers were the successors of the Imperial battlecruisers, hence the name mentions to the old dogs, H-class naming were purely speculative as far i know of.

KW45 and 50 have 5 shafts, because they both designed/proposed with high cutting edge propulsion at that time, some variants show different placements for diesel generators and turbines (either 3 turbine shafts, 2 diesel or 4 turbine, 1 diesel etc).

"Towers" can be turret barbatte or conning tower.
Just a clarification, I put it in a image translator and assumed it was fine. I simply just wanted to get the idea of what it was saying. I did not translate any of it myself as I do not speak German.

Oh8hXm0.jpg

Speaking of, here's 28.3cm turret named "P turret", almost identical to C/34 turret except slope sides turret face, three stacked ammunition cages on main hoists and the gun breech have some kind of locks (possibly a screw-breech gun?) since other turret sketches doesn't have it.
Date of design: 7/6/1939.

Last edited:
It is a well-made design, however, it is fictional.
I tried to create a project with the following specifications:
It is interesting to note that the author of this post states that the 1937 series of designs never considered the 15cm whereas other sources are completely adamant about it. I have not seen the actual plans for these, but it is possible other authors (such as Groner) mistook the 1937 ships as having 15cm due to the twin turret (As a twin MUST equal a 15cm, right? No - see Type 1938B).
On the other hand, perhaps the plans that the author has are of earlier variants, or only found variants of the plan with 12.8cm guns. More likely this is the case.

Ah I must have over looked that one part.
No, no, I'm glad you found it. I've spiraled into a bunch of other very good threads.
That design may be based on one of the various '37 designs. If I am correct, only 2 if them had 2x2 /1x4 torpedo launchers. I only have the designs for J and I.

Attachments

• 600px-Zerstörer_1937-III.jpeg
    600px-Zerstörer_1937-III.jpeg
    10 KB · Views: 103
  • Zerstörer_1937-J (1).jpeg
    Zerstörer_1937-J (1).jpeg
    9.1 KB · Views: 103
No, no, I'm glad you found it. I've spiraled into a bunch of other very good threads.
That design may be based on one of the various '37 designs. If I am correct, only 2 if them had 2x2 /1x4 torpedo launchers. I only have the designs for J and I.
The Type 1937-K design is a mixture of the Type 1936A, C, and Type 1937-J featuring bits and pieces from all.

These are the best I've got.
1672173810270.png
1672173823028.png
Nothing more or less better than yourself.
If these sketches are recreated correctly, then you can obviously tell there are 15cm singles here in I and 128s in J.
Though it only says 128s in the specifics section.
1672174006255.png
I, II, III/IV, J.
I shouldn't have to mention that J doesn't have "6-12.7cm" either.

Whitley perhaps describes best the development of the Type 1937 - at least more so than any other source I've read, so I think it would be preferable to trust the Second Edition of his German Destroyers of World War Two.

Last edited:
The Type 1937-K design is a mixture of the Type 1936A, C, and Type 1937-J featuring bits and pieces from all.

These are the best I've got.
View attachment 690178
View attachment 690179
Nothing more or less better than yourself.
If these sketches are recreated correctly, then you can obviously tell there are 15cm singles here in I and 128s in J.
Though it only says 128s in the specifics section.
View attachment 690180
I, II, III/IV, J.
I shouldn't have to mention that J doesn't have "6-12.7cm" either.
Hopefully the others surface pretty soon.

Here is a wiki article about all the Type designation submarine erm types:

I know there is a more dedicated site there as well describing more about them:
Yes, here it is though the subpage is now dead and only available through the wayback machine:

I wonder if that Type XXIX "stealth" Submarine was a real design or is pure fiction. I've seen some info about it, but haven't really seen anything that says it was fictional. I've mostly seen it described as a concept that never went past the drawing board.

Attachments

• Uboot-XXIIX_CiTrus90 (1).jpg
    Uboot-XXIIX_CiTrus90 (1).jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 117