• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Junkers Ju 290 and 390 Variants

Jemiba

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you. I think, I've seen those side views before. They look a bit, as if there were
cut out and put on cross section paper,

Arjen

It's turtles all the way down
Reaction score
hesham said:
Hi,

here is a profile drawings to some variants of the Junkers Ju-290.
The drawings look like they were copied from William Green's "Warplanes of the third reich".
Artist: Dennis Punnett.

richard

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Interesting , but it looks more like a Ju 90 or early Ju 290 with a Me 109 , than a Ju 390/Me 328 ….

hesham

Reaction score
Yes my dear Richard,

in the wing is A-4b and Ju-90,I will correct it.

Wurger

Reaction score
Does it looks like a Me109 under the Ju290? Can someone enhance the photo?

Jemiba

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Cannot access the pictures on the linked site, so I just used the photo posted by hesham.
There are Me 109 (?) under both wings, the nose actually could be the turret of the C-variant,
but the fins look like those of the V- or early A-variants to me.

Attachments

hesham

Reaction score
My dears Wurger and Jemiba,

frankly,I can't judge,specially I will make a glass to see well,but the comment on
the picture said; it's Ju-90 with A-4b.

Jemiba

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
hesham said:
... it's Ju-90 with A-4b.
Not sure, what that means. Maybe the model of the Ju 90 with the nose of the Ju 290 A-4b ?

hesham

Reaction score
Jemiba said:
hesham said:
... it's Ju-90 with A-4b.
Not sure, what that means. Maybe the model of the Ju 90 with the nose of the Ju 290 A-4b ?

As you said my dear Jemiba;maybe.

newsdeskdan

Reaction score
Anyone ever seen this design before? It's a Junkers transport design that was wind tunnel tested by the AVA in April 1943. Its fuselage is 2846mm long and it has a wingspan of 3527mm (Ju 90 = 2600mm and 3500mm, Ju 290 = 2864mm and 42mm) so it's sort of a Ju 290 with a Ju 90 wingspan. It also has a tall central fin between its two rudder plates.
Known or unknown?

Attachments

richard B

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
It looks much like this one :

https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,23182.msg323105.html#msg323105

newsdeskdan

Reaction score
richard B said:
It looks much like this one :

https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,23182.msg323105.html#msg323105
Ah - that's it exactly. My report's definitely AVA though, not DVL. I guess maybe they were both involved in the testing.

luis duarte

CLEARANCE: Restricted
Reaction score
Hello everyone...this is my first post here. Some time ago i´ve made an articule about the 390 to post in a Facebook group, so i hope you dont find too boring:
Two prototypes of the Junkers 390 were created by attaching an extra pair of inner-wing segments onto the wings of Ju 90 and Ju 290 airframes, and adding new sections to lengthen the fuselages. Power came from 6x1,500 hp BMW radial engines and it had a range of 18,000 miles. The V1 GH+UK made its maiden flight (allegedly) on 20 October 1943 and performed well, resulting in an order for 26 aircraft. According to former Junkers test pilot Hans-Joachim Pancherz' logbook, the Ju 390 V1 was brought to Prague immediately after it had been displayed at Insterburg to the Fuhrer, and while there took part in a number of test flights, which continued until March 1944, including tests of in-flight refueling. The project was cancelled in mid-1944. The Ju 390 V1 was returned to Dessau in November 1944, where it was destroyed in late April 1945 as the American Army approached. The second prototype V2 (RC+DA), was longer than the V1 because it was constructed from a Ju 290 airframe. It was fitted for maritime patrol. Interestingly the photo snapped of RC+DA was taken during an attack on a Malta Convoy, suggesting this aircraft was possibly operated by LTS.290 in North Africa. The photo clearly shows a white "Afrika" band. The photo was taken by merchant seaman Ron Whylie whilst his convoy KMF-5 was under attack in late 1942. The date alone disrupts claims that the first flight was made in 1943. A copy of his photo of RC+DA was long held by the Museum of Military History in Vienna and published by German test pilot Hans Werner Lerche in his autobiography. There are several wild tales involving Ju 390s in the Internet. A Ju 390, which may or may not have been the V2, is claimed by some to have made a test flight from Germany to Cape Town in early 1944. The sole source for the story is a article which appeared in the "Daily Telegraph" in 1969 titled "Lone Bomber Raid on New York Planned by Hitler", in which Hans Pancherz reportedly claimed to have made the flight in question, in company with an air to air refueling aircraft [Ju-290 reg CE+YZ] in January 1944. According to the book "German Aircraft of the Second World War" by J.R.Smith and Anthony L.Kay, the Ju 390 V2 went in January 1944 to FAGr 5 at Mont-de-Marsan for operational evaluation, from where it made a claimed flight to within 12 miles of New York. Other sources say that the recon flight to NY was on 27 August 1943, from Norway. What is a fact its that FaG 5 was disbanded in August 1944 when airbases in France were threatened by the Allies. FaG's Ju 290s and 390s were passed to KG 200, a special missions unit. Several interesting missions are attributed to the Ju 390, including liaison flights to Japan. While confirmation is lacking [not surprising for KG 200, a special ops unit)] Ju 290A-9s are known to have completed these missions. The V2 was standing by at Rechlin to evacuate Nazi VIPs to Spain in April of 1945. While a Ju 290A-5 actually made the flight to Spain, the V2 was not reported to have been located after the war. One account says the V2 was flown from Poland with German scientists and a secret centrifuge which ionized mercury(project Cronos/Laternenträge) to Bodo, Norway, where it was repainted in Swedish colors, and then flown with mid-air refueling to a ranch in Paysandu Province, Uruguay. The landing was witnessed by a Polish diplomat. The aircraft was then dismantled and sunk in the Uruguay River, where it is said to remain to this day.
1594839503037.png 1594839589799.png

4 comentários
3 partilhas

Cy-27

Reaction score
I can't help with the antennae but the aircraft was Ju 90 V7 (Werknr.4919) coded GF+GH which spent a lot of its life at Rechlin before joining the Luftwaffe.

The photo also appears in the Junkers book below.

No signs of tail aerials in photo during test flights in Oct 1941 (load dropping) but the photo caption in the book dates it to 1942.

Source: Junkers Grossflugzeuge (Nowarra) - Motorbuch Verlag ISBN 3613012243

Last edited:

Jemiba

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Just as a clue: The photo of the RC+DA is often regarded as a pre-photoshop photo composition, see also
https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/junkers-ju-290-and-390-variants.4887/post-188256
Not even the Kössler/Ott book ("Die großen Dessauer") gives a definite answer, if a second prototype was
ever finished. In that book, a document is cited, that states, that "due to the cancellation of the program, the already
accumulated expenditures for the fuselage and tooling/jigs have to be billed to the department for war damages".
This could be regarded as quite a clear evidence, that the second prototype perhaps was near completion, but not
actually finished.

Hood

Reaction score
The Junkers Putnam by Antony Kay simply states that the V2 was never flown as the programme was cancelled in July 1944. He doesn't specifically state that the airframe was completed, but he is vague on the subject, "the V2 prototype never flew since, by July 1944, the whole programme was closed down."
V1 GH+UK did not fly until October 1943 so its likely that RC+DA with its modified fuselage would have been further away from completion. The fact it didn't turn up in 1945 into Western Allied hands is a strong hint that it remained at Dessau where the Soviets got their hands on the airframe.

Airborne2001

CLEARANCE: Restricted
Reaction score
Hello everyone...this is my first post here. Some time ago i´ve made an articule about the 390 to post in a Facebook group, so i hope you dont find too boring:
Two prototypes of the Junkers 390 were created by attaching an extra pair of inner-wing segments onto the wings of Ju 90 and Ju 290 airframes, and adding new sections to lengthen the fuselages. Power came from 6x1,500 hp BMW radial engines and it had a range of 18,000 miles. The V1 GH+UK made its maiden flight (allegedly) on 20 October 1943 and performed well, resulting in an order for 26 aircraft. According to former Junkers test pilot Hans-Joachim Pancherz' logbook, the Ju 390 V1 was brought to Prague immediately after it had been displayed at Insterburg to the Fuhrer, and while there took part in a number of test flights, which continued until March 1944, including tests of in-flight refueling. The project was cancelled in mid-1944. The Ju 390 V1 was returned to Dessau in November 1944, where it was destroyed in late April 1945 as the American Army approached. The second prototype V2 (RC+DA), was longer than the V1 because it was constructed from a Ju 290 airframe. It was fitted for maritime patrol. Interestingly the photo snapped of RC+DA was taken during an attack on a Malta Convoy, suggesting this aircraft was possibly operated by LTS.290 in North Africa. The photo clearly shows a white "Afrika" band. The photo was taken by merchant seaman Ron Whylie whilst his convoy KMF-5 was under attack in late 1942. The date alone disrupts claims that the first flight was made in 1943. A copy of his photo of RC+DA was long held by the Museum of Military History in Vienna and published by German test pilot Hans Werner Lerche in his autobiography. There are several wild tales involving Ju 390s in the Internet. A Ju 390, which may or may not have been the V2, is claimed by some to have made a test flight from Germany to Cape Town in early 1944. The sole source for the story is a article which appeared in the "Daily Telegraph" in 1969 titled "Lone Bomber Raid on New York Planned by Hitler", in which Hans Pancherz reportedly claimed to have made the flight in question, in company with an air to air refueling aircraft [Ju-290 reg CE+YZ] in January 1944. According to the book "German Aircraft of the Second World War" by J.R.Smith and Anthony L.Kay, the Ju 390 V2 went in January 1944 to FAGr 5 at Mont-de-Marsan for operational evaluation, from where it made a claimed flight to within 12 miles of New York. Other sources say that the recon flight to NY was on 27 August 1943, from Norway. What is a fact its that FaG 5 was disbanded in August 1944 when airbases in France were threatened by the Allies. FaG's Ju 290s and 390s were passed to KG 200, a special missions unit. Several interesting missions are attributed to the Ju 390, including liaison flights to Japan. While confirmation is lacking [not surprising for KG 200, a special ops unit)] Ju 290A-9s are known to have completed these missions. The V2 was standing by at Rechlin to evacuate Nazi VIPs to Spain in April of 1945. While a Ju 290A-5 actually made the flight to Spain, the V2 was not reported to have been located after the war. One account says the V2 was flown from Poland with German scientists and a secret centrifuge which ionized mercury(project Cronos/Laternenträge) to Bodo, Norway, where it was repainted in Swedish colors, and then flown with mid-air refueling to a ranch in Paysandu Province, Uruguay. The landing was witnessed by a Polish diplomat. The aircraft was then dismantled and sunk in the Uruguay River, where it is said to remain to this day.
View attachment 637446View attachment 637447

4 comentários
3 partilhas
Very good information! Thanks for sharing! :)

nuuumannn

Cannae be ar*ed changing my personal text
Reaction score
I suspect the majority of this is fiction, so take with a large dose of salt. Only one Ju 390 was completed and it was made by combining Ju 90 components. This is confirmed by a British Intelligence report, within which Prof Hertel states that only one was completed. The second, purpose built airframe was begun, but not completed and likely scrapped at the end of the war.

The Ju 390 V1 first flew on 20 October 1943, but reports of the flight to the New York coast are as likely to have never happened. The rumour that it might have has come from a couple of different individuals and repeated in print, but there is no evidence the flight took place. A British intelligence report states this flight might have taken place based on German personnel interrogated, but questions its veracity. The book Luftwaffe KG 200 The German Air Force's Most Secret Unit of World War Two (Geoffrey Thomas and Barry Ketley, Hikoki, 2003) also questions that it took place in the chapter titled Flights of Fancy: Operations KG 200 Did Not Do [italics original to the title] based on the British Intelligence report and the sparcity of factual information surrounding the claim subsequent to the war's end, particularly its sketchy origins coming from the same individuals. Personnel interrogated after the war that operated Ju 290s out of Mont de Marsan fail to mention any such flight, although the '290 itself conducted many long ranging fights that can be verified. The aircraft is listed as having been flown by KG 200 personnel, including references to logbooks, but no mention anywhere of a long range flight close to the USA, which, under the circumstances surely would have warranted such a mention.

As for its making a flight to South America and its destruction in Uruguay, again, a work of fiction. In April 1945 the Ju 390 V1 was set on fire and destroyed at Dessau to prevent it from falling into Allied hands.