• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Hawker Siddeley P.1154

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!
Reaction score
Website
beyondthesprues.com
Interesting. Is there a good reference for the development and ultimately cancellation of the P.1154?

AeroFranz

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Am i reading this correctly? The 2 engines have combined rotating nozzles? :eek:
Must be pretty lossy...

This must rank very high among aerospace oddities. Thanks a lot for posting.

Mike Pryce

BAe P.1216 book: harrier.org.uk/P1216.htm
Reaction score
AeroFranz said:
Am i reading this correctly? The 2 engines have combined rotating nozzles? :eek:
Must be pretty lossy...

They are 'handed' nozzles. One engine supplies the port front and starboard rear nozzles, and the other is vice versa. See extra image attached.

Attachments

Kadija_Man

Reaction score
Harrier said:
AeroFranz said:
Must be pretty lossy...

They are 'handed' nozzles. One engine supplies the port front and starboard rear nozzles, and the other is vice versa. See extra image attached.
Interesting. How does that help in an engine-out scenario? Do you also have a 3 view of the stacked engine proposal? I have another alternative which I was sent by Barrington Bond sometime ago of twin pegasus with them placed back to back, with six nozzles (the two engines share the common central ones). It had a large dorsal intake to feed the rear engine.

AeroFranz

Reaction score

Oh, I see - still very odd, but not as lossy. Thanks for the clarification!

Arjen

It's turtles all the way down
Reaction score
Abraham Gubler said:
Found this image on the inside cover of "Harrier: The Biography" by Jonathan Glancey. Image credit is courtesy of Phillip Jarrett. Book is OK, image is awesome, my scan is mediocre.
Another attempt at cleaning the image

Attachments

Dsadow

CLEARANCE: Restricted
Reaction score
Hi, Like the trhee views you guys have found. Now, tell me, Did the ever think about putting a " Bubble " type or raised canopy on a varient of the P.1154?

hesham

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
Hi,

here is a Hawker P.1154 in details.

Самолеты вертикального взлета и посадки (1966)

Attachments

blackkite

Don't laugh, don't cry, don't even curse, but.....
Reaction score
Archibald said:
Thorvic has made a splendid model of the P.1134.

the P.1150 was the first step to the unlucky P.1154. In fact the P.1150 was not powerful enough for the NATO NBMR.3 of 1961, so 2 evolutions followed.
the first was the the P.1154 (which used the same lift system as the Harrier, with PCB for supersonic flight), the second the P.1155. both were tendered for the NBMR.3...

The P.1155 was a backup for the P.1154, very similar but using lift-jets. This was much less practical than the P.1154, so the backup was... abandoned.

After that, the P.1154 was started for both the RAF and RN before beeing cancelled in February 1965, along the HS-681 transport...
Hi! P.1150.

http://www.harrier.org.uk/history/projects.htm

Attachments

Vahe Demirjian

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
The thread ought to be merged with the thread "Hawker Siddeley P.1154" because the P.1154 project has been well-documented in the literature on British jet fighters of the post-WW2 period as well as books on VTOL jet fighters.

FighterJock

Reaction score
Nice find uk 75, I always liked the P1154 and it is one of my favourite what if fighters, it always amazes me why the RAF finally went for the subsonic P1127 instead of the P1154,

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Reaction score
Pennywise, pound foolish (at best). A good description of Her Majesty's Treasury...

Reactions: zen

Wyvern

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
Does anyone have any documents or images of the P.1155?

CNH

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
"Pennywise, pound foolish (at best). A good description of Her Majesty's Treasury... "

But what would we have gained if it had gone into production?

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Reaction score
"Pennywise, pound foolish (at best). A good description of Her Majesty's Treasury... "

A significantly stronger British aerospace industry for one thing.

Reactions: CNH

zen

Reaction score

Keep the RN out of it.

blackkite

Reaction score
"A wind tunnel model of the RAF's single seat variant of the supersonic Hawker Siddeley P.1154 Harrier. This is also on display at Brooklands Museum."
View attachment 626106

Last edited:

blackkite

Reaction score
Hi! Sorry following model seems to be a single seater with bicycle type undercarriage. So it's a P.1154 for RAF dated 4.11.63.(Brooklands Museum)

Attachments

Last edited:

uk 75

Reaction score
The P1154 has been covered in so many books and articles. However, there is still no decent general arrangement drawing of the last version for the RAF before cancellation. This well known photo shows it.
The final version of the P1154RAF at cancellation is this model above, all I was asking for was a ga drawing of it.
The ones posted above have already appeared in other threads which cover development of the RAF and RN 1154. Please dont re post them here.

The wind tunnel model is pretty much the last version. The one posted after looks like a modern kit of some kind.

Thorvic

Reaction score
"A wind tunnel model of the RAF's single seat variant of the supersonic Hawker Siddeley P.1154 Harrier. This is also on display at Brooklands Museum."
View attachment 626106
I'm not sure that is an 1154, the fwd nozzles appear to be stepped and the pylon into the wheel fairing on the wing remind me a of a later proposal

Hood

Reaction score
I'm not sure that is an 1154, the fwd nozzles appear to be stepped and the pylon into the wheel fairing on the wing remind me a of a later proposal
The undercarriage nacelle/pylon looks reminiscent of the later P.1214 to P.1216 studies, the tail fin too looks different from the P.1154 in having the ram-air intake at the root.
But it could have been a P.1154 model repurposed for later research.
Be good to see the labeling of the exhibit, but one thing for sure, a lot of the helpers at Brooklands know their Kingston projects off by heart.

blackkite

Reaction score
This wind tunnel test model has tricycle landing gear. So this design was for the RN?
Tricycle undercarriage VTOL fighter design for the RAF ever existed?
I feel this design looks like wind tunnel test model. Wing plan form is different?

Attachments

Last edited:

nuuumannn

Cannae be ar*ed changing my personal text
Reaction score
Nice to see one of my images getting traction here. Interesting that you guys think it might be a more advanced project than the P.1154 - at the time I captioned it, that hadn't occurred to me, so the mistake is all mine, not Brooklands' or Kingston staff's. So based on what y'all have suggested, I did a bit of looking through Tony Buttler's British Secret Projects, Jet Bombers Since 1949 (Midland, 2003) and found an illustration that resembles that model more closely. It appears to be the HS.1179L single-seat V/STOL project of mid 1968. There was also a two-seater with the same designation, the HS.1179M.

Here 'tis again, only correctly captioned this time.

Attachments

Last edited:

nuuumannn

Cannae be ar*ed changing my personal text
Reaction score
Following on from that post, I can confirm that the following is, in fact a P.1154 (it has it written on the side) and it is located in a display case opposite where the model above is at Brooklands.

The BS.100 engine prototype at Yeovilton for interest's sake.

Attachments

uk 75

Reaction score
Well that was all very interesting but still no decent ga drawing of RAF 1154 can Brooklands search

blackkite

Reaction score
Next I will study RAF version.;)

uk 75

Reaction score
Following on from that post, I can confirm that the following is, in fact a P.1154 (it has it written on the side) and it is located in a display case opposite where the model above is at Brooklands.

The BS.100 engine prototype at Yeovilton for interest's sake.
Thanks for the image of the model P1154 I compare the two

Attachments

blackkite

Reaction score
British super beauty!!
There are some differences between #73 two images. Air intake shape, canory and small air intakes located shoulder and before vertical tail stabilizer.
Is this drawing not enough for RAF final version?

Attachments

Last edited:

uk 75

Reaction score
Is this what you are after, Ralph?
Thanks this is the closest to the production version. In Michael Pryce's article which I dont have to hand there is a ga of the two seat trainer version which shows the cockpit glazing.