Grumman VTOL/VSTOL/STOL Projects

Deino

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
... several quite different from Grumman !

Attachments

• Grumman VSTOL VFAX.jpg
    Grumman VSTOL VFAX.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,427
  • Joint GB-USA - PCB fighter - US-Version.jpg
    Joint GB-USA - PCB fighter - US-Version.jpg
    357.5 KB · Views: 1,240
  • McDD + BAE VSTOL.jpg
    McDD + BAE VSTOL.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 1,303
  • Typ A + B - Grumman text.jpg
    Typ A + B - Grumman text.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 1,196
  • Typ B - Grumman early - 01.jpg
    Typ B - Grumman early - 01.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 979
  • Typ B - Grumman early - text.jpg
    Typ B - Grumman early - text.jpg
    353.8 KB · Views: 648
Grumman Typ B.

The Aircraft Carrier it is also a very interesting design but designation is unknown for me. I don't know if it is a real design of just art.

Attachments

• Grumman VTOL.jpg
    Grumman VTOL.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 695
Grummann 1993 supersonic fan-in-wing VTOL fighter (Design 870)

Attachments

• grum1993-des870s.jpg
    grum1993-des870s.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 809
1. Grumman Remote Augmented Lift System aircraft proposal

Attachments

• 1981_06250L  REMOTE AUGMENTED LIFT SYSTEM.jpg
    1981_06250L REMOTE AUGMENTED LIFT SYSTEM.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 560
Hi,

what was this aircraft project which was look like a big strike
fighter ?.
http://www.flightglobal.com/PDFArchive/View/1982/1982%20-%202028.html

Attachments

• Strike Fighter.JPG
    Strike Fighter.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 925
Hesham,

I have this drawing on Page 80 "Aircraft 2000. The Future of Aerospace Technology" Bill Sweetman. Ed Hamlyn 1984. ISBN 0 600 34726 5.
It is identified as an Advanced Tactical Fighter proposal from Grumman.

cheers

Antonio

People may know what I'm talking about, or maybe not, but either way I remember these pocket-sized books about worldwide military equipment and OOBs. Can't remember the title, for some reason I want to say they're associated with Jane's but published separately. Anyway, I remember that illustration in one of the books, where it was mentioned that "future aircraft may have weapons bays on top of the fuselage to minimize their radar profile," implying that it is indeed a stealthy strike fighter (although with a potentially weird bomb delivery profile, for sure!)

Surely not the same project as in the first post, but the tread fit's quite nice !

Found that on a CHinese site with photos of the EAP ... and in front of it above this red-thing is hangig !

http://www.fyjs.cn/bbs/htm_data/27/1110/614377.html

Any idea ??

Thanks in advance,
Deino

Attachments

• red model ... what is it.jpg
    red model ... what is it.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 613
  • red model ... what is it 2.jpg
    red model ... what is it 2.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 622
I think I've seen it in a Bill Gunston book, maybe "Future Fighters".

...Confirmed on the concept being from Grumman. I've also seen the illo in question in both Air Farce and AvLeak, circa 1980-1981 IIRC. General commentary about the design contained the usual complaint about top-launched weaponry:

"If it's bottom-launched, all you have to worry about is that you've at least hit *an* enemy target when the propellents fail. With a top-launched weapon, if the propellant fails, it'll still hit a target, but it damn sure won't be an enemy one!"

Grumman artwork showing a proposed tilt-wing version of the OV-1 Mohawk.

Original image HERE.

Attachments

• OV-1 art work showing a standard aircraft anf two proposed tilt wing versions.jpg
    OV-1 art work showing a standard aircraft anf two proposed tilt wing versions.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
I don't think that's a standard Mohawk in the background. Looks like it has four engines and is missing the central tail fin of the OV-1. I'd say it is probably the tilt-wing aircraft with the wing in horizontal mode.

I don't think that's a standard Mohawk in the background. Looks like it has four engines and is missing the central tail fin of the OV-1. I'd say it is probably the tilt-wing aircraft with the wing in horizontal mode.
I should have specified this was the description of the photo in the collection, not my interpretation. Of course you're right!