Reaction score
Hi,

Who know this Fairey turret aircraft ?.
http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1941/1941%20-%202896.html

Attachments

• Fairey.JPG
    Fairey.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 338
It is good to have no tail from the gunner point of view, but what about flight control? why having such a long fuselage if there is no tail after it? a flying wing layout could be better for the turret efficiency. I did not know this drawing, it is a puzzle if this is an actual project, not a simplified sketch.

Its the Fairey B.1/39. There is a tail but its just not shown on this sketch because it illustrates the double turret arrangement.

red admiral said:
Its the Fairey B.1/39. There is a tail but its just not shown on this sketch because it illustrates the double turret arrangement.

Thank you dear Red Admiral,

and it is surprise to me,that the Fairey company involved in this Spec.,
I know the contenders were;
HP.59,HP.60,Bristol-159,Vickers-405,Avro-680,Blackburn B-30,Gloster,AW.48,
and Shorts S-34.

and it is surprise to me,that the Fairey company involved in this Spec.,

Everyone else was involved so I'm not really surprised. I'm more surprised that the spec didn't produce any final product.

The B1/39 specification was intended to produced the "ideal bomber" for RAF world wide operations, the projects selected for further development were those by Bristol (Model 19) and Handley Page (HP60). Due to the onset of WW2 and notably the establishment of the Ministry of Aircraft Production under the control of Lord Beaverbrook, these designs,(along with many more) were suspended then cancelled around May-June 1940.

When new heavy bomber designs were again requested the B1/39 types no longer met projected operational requirements. One of the problems being that the designs were based on the use of smaller bombs (2,000 lbs maximum) and heavy defensive weapons (ie turrets with 4 x 20mm cannon), the new requirements stressed the use of much larger bombs (and many more of them) therefore much larger aircraft.

Lord Beaverbrook did what was required for Britains defence in 1940 but some beautiful and/or interesting aircraft projects fell under his axe. :-[